Airbrushing: Buttercream Vs. Fondant???

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm by sweetcakes

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm planning to do a lot of airbrush work on a large 3-tier cake. I've tried it in fondant before & it worked great, however I've only airbrushed buttercream cakes just on tiny spots here & there. I'm worried that if I do a lot of it on the buttercream (basically paint the whole cake) that colors might bleed or things will turn out differently. It's just going to be a demo (not for a client) but figured I would ask before I get started just in case (would hate to waste all that time!). So has anybody noticed any difference with the results between the two types of frosting???

8 replies
lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 9

I jsut did a Nemo cake. I did the different colors and it did not bleed. I first did my orange. I probably waited maybe 10 minutes between colors.
(The amount it took for me to clean the brush and then get ready for my next color.) It didn't bleed.
But be sure to use something to put over the other spaces so that you don't get color where you don't want it.

Lu

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 9

Actually fondant is alot nicer to airbrush on because it holds it's color deeper.I do find it you cross colors too much with both icings the colors come out like a yucky brown.Puddling will happen with both icings if you get too close also.You will be just fine!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 9

I've had problems with the color beading up on bc....so I guess maybe just be careful....give it a good bit to try before ya spray over what you've already sprayed.
icon_wink.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 9

The 4 tier orange cake in my pictures is all airbushed on buttercream.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

AZCakeGirl

If you look at my UT Football Stadium cake the football field itself is air-brushed all green and it is iced in butter cream it turned out great no bleeding

Molly

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

The last few cakes I airbrushed were buttercream....Heck--all of them were buttercream. 3D Spiderman bust was totally airbrused red. Just started and applied colors in layers. The "Sweet Sixteen" cake was lightly airbrused with black--didn't want a solid color--and then muted white rings were added in white.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 9

I Air brushed Spiderman also with no problem and the sene on the side of the western cake with no problem

Molly

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 9

it will spray well on both icings, just dont touch it once sprayed and try to avoid putting it in the fridge as the colour will bead up when the cake sweats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%