Gumpaste Pearls On Wire??

Decorating By scWMI Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:36am by scWMI

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 9

I have a bridal shower cake in two weeks and they want the peals on wire that are separated. one pearl, then a large space, another pearl, and a space. I am using Wilton Gumpaste and 22 gauge floral wire covered in white cloth. So far, everything has been a disaster. The gumpaste won't stick in place with the gum glue, the cloth on the wire frays on the ends and tears the pearls apart before I even get them on, and then they slide up and down the wire and won't stay in place. It's extremely humid here also right now (welcome to the South), so I know that isn't helping either. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

PS I can post a picture on Monday of what I am trying to describe if you need a visual. I just can't get it from my work address at home.

8 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 9

I don't have a suggestion for the gumpaste version but the type of thing you are looking for can be found in fabric stores where you can buy individual pieces for making head dresses.

The pearls on the wire with spaces in between are used quiet oftern in communion and bridal head dresses.

Just an alternative if you gp version doesn't work out!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:24am
post #3 of 9

I would suggest going to your nearest hobby lobby and purchasing a fishing wire type used for necklaces (in the jewelry area ) and stringing them throught that. It will save you a lot of headache and make the string of pearls more bendable.

Try mixing your gumpaste witha little fondant (if you have it) it will make the GP less likely to dry as quickly giving you more time to work it.

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 9

the fishing line is a good idea. The gp neeeds something to "grab on to". You'd tied a knot or even a double knot in the wire and form the pearl over that.

And . . .ummm . . .why'd you let a customer talk you into that?

scWMI Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 9

I appreciate the replies everyone has given, but you're not quite understanding I don't think which may be my own fault. I'm not needing to string the pearls like a necklace. These pearls are actually going to curving ABOVE the cake, much like an arch, so they have to go on the wire in order to be supported. I'll post the picture of what I am working from tomorrow.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 9

have you tried uncovered floral wire? This is what I have been using for all of my wired decorations, and haven't had any problems. The gumpaste seems to grab on quite nicely and I don't need to use glue or water or anything.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 9

make your gumpaste balls first and push a piece of uncovered wire through to make the hole,then let them dry off the wire. in the mean time take some gumglue and dip the ends of your covered wire in it and let dry to seal the ends. when your balls are dry thread them on and set them in place and use more gum glue to attach them. sounds good hey! hope it works, thats how i would go about it!!

scWMI Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 9

ok...here is the image of the cake that I am being asked to base the design on. I think that last tip may be what I was looking form but I said I'd post the picture. Hopefully this will help. I'm looking at the top tier decoration when I say pearls on wire.

Thanks!
LL
LL

scWMI Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #9 of 9

just a bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%