Cooking A Leveled Cake

Decorating By jjmom Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 12:08am by mcdonald

jjmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjmom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 3

New to boards and looking for some help already. I have recently begun baking cakes more so for fun than profit which is a good thing because I have yet to bake a 2 layer cake where both are level all the way across. One of them usually comes out perfect, but then the other seems to have missed it's mark. I am hoping the more experienced bakers can help me out. Any suggestions? icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 3

1st you need to have the right amount of batter in the pan - fill it about 2/3rds full.
Bake at a lower temp (300 or 325 degrees)for a slightly longer time.
Invest in a good cake leveler!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 3

I bake at 325 as well. You can either use baking strips that go around your cake pan or you can make them by wetting towels and wrapping around the pan and connecting with safety pins. I don't use strips but fill my pans a little fuller than normal. That causes a tall cake, which I like. Then as soon as they come out of the oven, I dump them over onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet or cutting board that is big enough for my cake. I think sit a full bottle of coke or something heavy on top. Instead level!!! I have never had a problem. Sometimes I can't tell the top from the bottom!!!

good luck and don't give up!! welcome to Cake Central!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%