Viva V Parchment Paper

Decorating By tx_cupcake Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm by tx_cupcake

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 10

I am a bc newbie, and last night I made my first cake iced entirely with bc and I am not all that pleased with how it turned out. Firstly, I think I over-whipped the bc, but mostly I couldn't figure out how to smooth it out as much as I wanted - to achieve the fondant effect.

I've taken the Wilton classes where the use of parchment paper is advocated as the prime smoothing agent, but I've read a lot here on CC about using Viva paper towels.

Which is better? Last night I used parchment paper (it's what I had), and like I said, I think the results were less than stellar.

I really want to get better with bc! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
LL

9 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 10

I dont like the parchment paper myself. I teach Wilton and I dont teach the students the parchment way. I teach them the Viva paper.
The cake looks beautiful. I never over whip my buttercream as it seems to bring more air into the mix, but that changes from person to person. And I use high ratio shortening, cause it makes the buttercream smoother.
I have a small tutorial on Youtube on how I do it

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Moorecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moorecakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

I've heard of using Viva paper towels mostly, I have tried it, I have NOT tried smoothing with parchment paper, but was told to place parchment paper in the cake pans to bake for easy removal and less likely to crumble and get bumps.....Hope this helps!
Oh, Ithink your cake looks great, super cute!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 10

Your cake is beautiful! Remember, we are our own worst critics! I always use parchment paper too, but have thought about using viva after all of the comments here on CC. I think the best bet is to get Sharon Zambito's (sugarshack's) DVD--that's on my wish list!! That women makes perfect BC iced cakes and has shared her expertise on this DVD!

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 10

Your cake is so lovely!

I have tried both and I like the Viva so much better. I think the problem with the parchement paper is it gets wrinkles and creases quite easily whereas the Viva just drapes perfectly. Also I think the Viva conducts very little heat from your hand because the paper towel is quite thick.

I used Bounty on my LPS Monkey cake and it gave it a weird finish--smooth but with super little indentations. I thought of maybe using the quilted side of bounty to get a quilted faux fondant look too.

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 10

your cake is beautiful...but i know, we're all perfectionists and want our BC to look like fondant! i second the advice to get sugarshack's dvd. www.sugaredproductions.com. take a look at her BC cakes...you honestly can't tell some of them from fondant. i have the dvd and it made a BIG difference for me. i'm still not at sharon's level but i'm lightyears from where i was! BUY THE DVD! icon_biggrin.gif

edited to say...forgot to answer the OP's actual question! i've tried both and i use viva. so does sharon/sugarshack. it's really the closest thing to just having your hands right on the cake and smoothing it out...you can feel every little bump through the viva.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

Okay, y'all are much more sophisticated than I am when it come sot bc.

I have a hand trowel that I got from Home Depot that has never been used on anything and I smooth out my bc that way.

My hands are so hot for parchment and I'm a bit of a clutz when I use a paper towel.

Beautiful cake by the way.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 10

Your cake is beautiful and you should be proud of it! Here is a thread on my BC tips where I discuss hwo I make my icing with no air in it, and a clip of me actaully making a batch.

( I no longer sift)

HTH!

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into the Sugarshack DVD. And thank you for the kind words. I am probably too hard on myself, but who here isn't?
icon_biggrin.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Your cake is beautiful and you should be proud of it! Here is a thread on my BC tips where I discuss hwo I make my icing with no air in it, and a clip of me actaully making a batch.

( I no longer sift)

HTH!

Thanks so much! I know what I'll be watching today...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%