Modeling Chocolate/candy Clay Figurines - Attaching Parts?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 3:40am by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 4

How do you attach different parts of modeling chocolate/candy clay together? For example, if I wanted to make a figurine...how do you attach the limbs to the torso of the body? Or is it not possible? Should all pieces be dry before attaching? Thanks!

3 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 4

Ok, I've made several figurines and have tried a few different methods. I first started by trying to attach the arms to the torso at the shoulders, this didnt work, the clay, although it had no problem sticking to my hands, would not stick to itself so I ended up using teeny toothpicks to help them stay on. The next thing I tried was using corn syrup as a kind of glue, that wasn't so bad but the heavier the object, the more slipping you'll have.
Finally (sorry this is taking so long icon_lol.gif ) I started making the arms and the chest out of all one piece, this for me, is the best way to get everything attached and have it stay that way.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 4

You can make gum glue by either dissolving cmc/tylose in some water and letting it sit overnight, OR taking some actual gumpaste, and placing in a small amount of water. Microwave it in 20-30 second increments stirring in between until it melts. If it's too thin, more gumpaste, too thick, add a little more water. This type can be used right away but will also keep well in the fridge.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for writing about your experiences. I've made gumpaste figurines before, but I've never worked with modeling chocolate. It's good to know what happened with corn syrup and toothpicks. It looks like I'll try the gumpaste "glue" or have to make the figurines as one whole piece. (However, I think that's going to be too difficult for me!) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%