Cleaning Silk Flowers?

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm by maryj

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 11

Maybe this is a weird question, but I was just wondering if there is a specific way to clean silk flowers before putting them on the cake. I know they can get dusty from sitting on the store shelf. Thanks!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 11

sink of soapy water?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 11

A blow dryer on cool will remove the dust. They also make a cleaner for silk flowers you spray on before using the dryer. I pick it up at WalMart.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 11

"Try rice. Take a paper bag and place a cup or two of white rice (uncooked of course). Place the plant inside and shake. Give it a few good shakes and the rice will dust the plant off. This works great with wreaths and dried flower arrangements too."

Just found this on the internet ... worth a try!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 11

I am with Debi, I wash mine in hot soapy water and lay them on a tea towel to dry. Once they are dry, I usually trim ragged edges, rebend wires, and generally pull the flower back into shape. I also sometimes use a curling iron, or a flat iron and the tiniest bit of spray starch to get the flower to look smooth, and hold its shape. This works well, and makes the flower look a little more realistic to me, since I can make each flower have a different shape.

HTH

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 11

Agree with indydebi - sink with soapy water, swish around and then rinse with cold running water............that is what I would do!

Hope you come right!

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 11

I have used salt, in a plastic bag, then place the flowers in, hold closed and shake it about - similar or same rather as the rice - cant belive how dirty the salt gets - lol can use rough salt or fine salt
washing them also works well as indydebi said1

armywife1 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks guys for your help. I figured soap and water, but I thought I would make sure. It would be my luck that someone would say "YOU WASHED IT WITH WHAT?!" I had to make sure there wasn't some other method out there that was better. icon_smile.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

I've worked for a cleaning company for 26 years, I've cleaned more silk flowers than I care to say. Hot water and white vinegar in a sink, swoosh, swoosh, rinse and tah dah clean flowers with no soap residue to attract more dust. We usually lay them in the sink drainer to dry.

armywife1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #10 of 11

Thanks maryj! I used your vinegar/ hot water technique and it worked well! thumbs_up.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

Thanks maryj! I used your vinegar/ hot water technique and it worked well! thumbs_up.gif

Your welcome, the bill is in the mail!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%