Covering A Cold Cake In Fondant?

Decorating By January202 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 4:05am by January202

January202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
January202 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake that has been sitting in the refrigerator overnight. It is a carved cake with intricate details to the shape. I put it in the refrigerator so that it would stay firm, and not lose the shape that took me forever to carve. The cake is iced with a crumb coat. Can I put the Satin Ice on the cake if it is fresh from the refrigerator, or must I let the cake "warm up" a bit? I fear condensation forming on the fondant if I do not let the cake warm up, but I do not want to lose the complexity of the shape if it is not kept in the refrigeration. Any tips, ideas, etc.? Thank you in advance!

Oh! And any tips on covering my complex cake in fondant would be appreciated as well! I have never done anything this detailed before.

10 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 11

I would be inclined to let the cake warm up some for fear of the condensation making the fondant slide off of the crumb coat. As far as tips on covering with fondan I don't know the particulars of your cake but I have found that it is easier to have a much larger piece of fondant that necessary to cover well and start from the top and work down
Have fun, hope this helps.

Jibbies

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 11

I can't really help with how to fondant the complex design, maybe just start at the top and go slow.

I use SMBC, so most of the cakes are cold when I put the fondant on, and I've never really had problems with the fondant slipping, but then again, I've only done squares and rounds. But, the condensation forming will make the fondant sticky, and a little hard to work with.

If you do not mind sharing, what is the shape of your cake? Maybe someone here has done a similar shape and can give you better advice on how to cover it.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

January202 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the tips so far...
Lanibird, to answer your question, the cake is in the shape of the island of Puerto Rico. I have attached a picture of the crumb-coated cake...I decided to take it out of the refrigerator and let it "warm up" a bit, to (hopefully) reduce condensation. I need to put the fondant on in about an hour or two.

January202 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 11

Well apparently I can't post a picture...I will figure it out another day. The "island" is roughly 2 feet long and 8 inches wide. 4 inches tall...it is a big cake!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 11

I put fondant on cakes right out of the freezer. If it is a really big cake I sometimes even roll the fondant first, then take the cake out and cover it. If it is too hot it is just easier and I get a cleaner sharper edge on the cakes as well. Never had a problem with the condensation.

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 11

I cover most of my cakes while they are cold with fondant. I didn't really give it much thought at the time, but it always worked out pretty good.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 11

I took a Bronwen Weber class this year. What she does and what I now do...is for the little stuff, intricate designs, don't carve the cake, put on thick icing and mold your designs into the thick fondant.
The fish in my pics was done this way at her class.
After learning how she does this, I was like, geez! So many of my past cakes could have been easier.
Ya get what I mean? Its more like sculpting the fondant than the cake.
I mean, you would get the basic shape of your cake, and then really 'use' your fondant....manipulate it into what ya want.
icon_wink.gif

I realize its probly too late for this but maybe some could apply to your project.
icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 11

I put fondant on cold cakes all the time too. Put it on and get it basically smooth and then let it warm up and when the condesationis gone you can smooth it more.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 11

Me too..Actually is better to do it with the cake cold, that way the cake wont loose shape. The condensation makes the fondant stick really good to the cake too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

January202 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #11 of 11

A big thank you to all who responded to my questions. I finished the cake, and here is a link to it: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253242

I ended up covering the cake while it was cold, and had no difficulties with condensation.

Wendoger - what an excellent tip with regard to "creating" complex shapes by molding the fondant around a blob if icing. I will definitely keep that trick in mind for the future!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%