Vintage Cake Photos

Decorating By Kim_in_CajunCountry Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm by veejaytx

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:06am
post #1 of 24

I was looking through some pics tonight and came across some old photos of weddings and birthday celebrations. I realized that now that I'm into cake decorating, I see them from a new perspective. Thought many of you might have some you would like to share as well.

This is my great-aunt's wedding. I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the cake and her dress. I've created an entire group of celebration photos that feature cakes - old and new. You can see click here to see more pics. http://flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/sets/72157606620684842/

23 replies
Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:34am
post #2 of 24

First I want to say great photo and great idea for a thread!

I had to laugh out loud because the way she's standing, she looks like the Barbie in the cake. It is hard to tell where she stops and the cake starts. Again great photo thanks for sharing.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 24

Aww! I think the photo is beautiful. The cake looks quite intricate, possibly done using the Lambeth method. I wonder what people fifty to a hundred years from now will think of some of our 'modern' cakes.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 24

Great idea!
Maybe let us know the year it was taken.

Jibbies

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 24

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing all your photos with us!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 24

That is just amazing. I just LOVE old pictures anyway, but to see ones with Wedding cakes, and wedding parties it's great. Most of them are so soft, and romantic due to the era of photography. thank you for sharing this.

AWESOME cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 24

Great thread. I love black and whites!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 24

Great pics. Even in todays photos black and whites are my favs!!! Thanks for sharing!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 24

What a fun picture! I love it. The little girls dresses are adorable and the one with her back to us has the most beautiful hair!!

I love looking at my grandparents pictures, because now days you see movies set in this time period and you think "did they really dress/look like this?" and you look at real pics and sure enough they did! lol Its cool.

~Alicia

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 24

That was great, thanks so much for sharing. I think I will have to go back and look at some of my old photo's now. You were a beautiful bride!

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 24

Very nice pics! Seeing them bring back so many great memories from parties when I was growing up...thank you for posting..it really made my day

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 24

Its funny but you can tell what decade it was just by the photos! Its the same way in my family album. We had a picture of me, my sister and my parents and we were all wearing a different color plaid!! And it had that yellowy tint to the picture so you knew it was the seventies. Then the eightys, you guest it, Aquanet-r-us!!!
My mom had bought her first Wilton kit from a door to door salesman. She recently gave it to me and the pans, the decorating book still looks pretty much the same except they had fondant as a "new" foreign method!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 24

LUV old pics like this!! Notice how the lady on the left of the bride (left as you're looking at the pic) looks like she has angle wings from the plant behind her? icon_lol.gif

Here's my grandparents wedding pic. I looked at this a LONG time before I realized those flowers were her corsage and NOT a bridal bouquet! The prim and proper white gloves .... the jacket, the layers of material. Considering this was in the early 20's, that was an expensive dress for this newly married farmer's wife! I can only describe my grandfather as a "strapping" young man!
LL

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #14 of 24

Kim--
I had the Cinderella carriage one year and my sister had the ballerina--how funny. Brings back memories.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LUV old pics like this!! Notice how the lady on the left of the bride (left as you're looking at the pic) looks like she has angle wings from the plant behind her? icon_lol.gif

Here's my grandparents wedding pic. I looked at this a LONG time before I realized those flowers were her corsage and NOT a bridal bouquet! The prim and proper white gloves .... the jacket, the layers of material. Considering this was in the early 20's, that was an expensive dress for this newly married farmer's wife! I can only describe my grandfather as a "strapping" young man!

This picture is priceless! What always amazes me is no one was ever smiling in these old pictures. It makes you wonder was life so hard back then that people had nothing to smile about or what was the reason that no one smiled?

Luby Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:05pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_CajunCountry

I was looking through some pics tonight and came across some old photos of weddings and birthday celebrations. I realized that now that I'm into cake decorating, I see them from a new perspective. Thought many of you might have some you would like to share as well.

This is my great-aunt's wedding. I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the cake and her dress. I've created an entire group of celebration photos that feature cakes - old and new. You can see click here to see more pics. http://flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/sets/72157606620684842/

Great picture, Kim - thanks for sharing. Indy Debi is right - two of them look like they have "wings" (look at the Gladiolas)
icon_lol.gif

Also, I love the short white gloves icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

This picture is priceless! What always amazes me is no one was ever smiling in these old pictures. It makes you wonder was life so hard back then that people had nothing to smile about or what was the reason that no one smiled?

Actually, there is a technical reason why they are never smiling. The camera lens had to be open for a long time. It wasn't a big point-n-click thing. I've seen movies where the film was exposed by removing the lens cap for 5-10 seconds then putting it back on. People can't hold perfectly still for 5-10 seconds. It's practically impossible to hold a perfectly still pose with a smile. So the reason they are not smiling is because a smile could cause a blurry picture. I've seen photos of photographer's chairs from back then ... some actually had a head brace to hold the subject's head perfectly still.

(LUV the history channel!)

Luby Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

Actually, there is a technical reason why they are never smiling. The camera lens had to be open for a long time. It wasn't a big point-n-click thing. I've seen movies where the film was exposed by removing the lens cap for 5-10 seconds then putting it back on. People can't hold perfectly still for 5-10 seconds. It's practically impossible to hold a perfectly still pose with a smile. So the reason they are not smiling is because a smile could cause a blurry picture. I've seen photos of photographer's chairs from back then ... some actually had a head brace to hold the subject's head perfectly still.

(LUV the history channel!)

I never knew that - thanks for the info! That answers a question I've always wondered about. It is amazing what you can learn when you watch The History Channel icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 24

Luby, hubby and I are history buffs! Hubby is the guy who knows ALL the little trivia stuff. My son calls the house all the time ... he'll be out with his friends and some trivia question comes up (like it only can in a bar with a bunch of 20-somethings! icon_lol.gif ) and son says, "Hang on....I'll call dad ... HE'LL know!" And he usually does! thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 24

That is really good to know, Debi! I just went through a box of photos passed down to me from my grandmother (these are really OLD photos) and nobody is smiling! They look like they might be about to get executed or something!

The sad part of these photos, nobody ever took the time to write on them to say who they are or when the photo was taken...the majority of them I have no idea who they are! At this point, I'm keeping the ones I know, but I'm going to have to just throw most of them away, and I really hate to do that. Hope everyone is marking their photos with that information so this doesn't happen to your pics some day!

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

The sad part of these photos, nobody ever took the time to write on them to say who they are or when the photo was taken...the majority of them I have no idea who they are! At this point, I'm keeping the ones I know, but I'm going to have to just throw most of them away, and I really hate to do that. Hope everyone is marking their photos with that information so this doesn't happen to your pics some day!

Oh that is SUCH a valuable thing to do with photo's! Please dont' throw them away. When I got my grandmother's wedding picture, I saw that my youngest sister looks EXACTLY like my grandmother! (It looks like my sister went to one of those photo places that dresses you up in old clothes....it's that exact!). You never know when you'll realize a relative looks exactly like one of those old pics!!!

But I'm with you .... all photos are labeled! Family history is big with me and with digital cameras, not too many people are actually printing them out any more .... so if their computer crashes, all photo history of the family is gone!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #22 of 24

My grandmother just passed away in June...and she had album after album after album of photos. She had every picture dated and the names of evrybody (that she knew) written them.

Grandma was a "keeper of things". Paper, bills, photos...anything (I believe we really call them pack-rats) but I am thankful that she was a little OCD. It really helps with the photos.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

My grandmother just passed away in June...and she had album after album after album of photos. She had every picture dated and the names of evrybody (that she knew) written them.

Grandma was a "keeper of things". Paper, bills, photos...anything (I believe we really call them pack-rats) but I am thankful that she was a little OCD. It really helps with the photos.

My grandma and her siblings have been going through old photos and making sure that they're labeled. If they don't know everyone in them they go see my great grandma, she can't see but once the general theme of the photo is described to her she can remember who was there and stuff. Her memory at 100 is better than most 25 year olds.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #24 of 24

Mac, that is totally admirable! I have names and dates on my photos, but once they got out of control years ago, I never got them into albums! My kids will not be happy when they have to go through mine! (Note to young people now...take the time to label photos and put them in albums, you will be so happy if you do that.)

I am trying to locate the box that has my wedding photos in it, I can't remember what my cake looked like! I do know it wasn't as nice as the fabulous one in Kim's photo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%