Anyone Else Have Trouble With Rolled Buttercream????

Decorating By Kazoot Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm by BlakesCakes

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

Well, I tried rolled buttercream for the first time and I did not like it. I had heard it was soooo much easier than fondant, but I did not think so. First of all, it was greasy. It is still greasy after hours in the fridge with the cake done. Second, it had a weird texture, almost grainy or something. Anyone out there experienced this too. I would love to hear about your experience with it. Did I mix it wrong, or what?? I did let it age for 2 days before using.

3 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:49am
post #2 of 4

The only time I made and used rolled buttercream, I mixed it half with purchased fondant. It was pretty easy to use.

Now I've switched over to MMF for all of my fondant work. I hear good things about Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe posted here. It'll be my next trial.

Good luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 4

Yep, that's what rolled bc is like. I refer to it as greasy fondant. It's hideous. And much, much more difficult to work with. It breaks easily and gets holes. I personally consider it to be the worst food ever invented - worse even than Wilton fondant.

Try SatinIce. You'll love it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

I use RBC to cover spheres, eggs, etc. and it works like a charm.

I take my regular BC recipe (hi ratio shortening, butter, PS, flavorings, and heavy cream) and add a bit of light corn syrup and extra PS until I get a nice, rollable dough. I roll it out between parchment paper, put the sheet in the freezer until it firms up, let it warm just a bit on the counter and then cover the item. It it's sticky, I use PS or CS on my hands when smoothing.

I love the RBC because I can smooth it and repair it easily. I buff it with CS or PS and it gets a nice shiny crust to it. For whatever reason, mine isn't greasy............

That said, it's mighty sweet (tooth hurting sweet), but for difficult shapes, I find it the easiest, smoothest way to go.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%