Doweling Question

Decorating By allycook Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm by JenniferMI

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 4 tiered wedding cake, 8", 12", 15" & 18". In regard to the dowels that are supporting the 15" tier, do I need to also place dowels not only around the outer edges but also inward? I hope this makes sense. I have placed 20 1/4" ones. Is that enough or should I use larger dowels? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 6

The dowels should be evenly spaced over the whole area, not just around the edges. I personally use larger than 1/4 inch on the bottom tier since it is supporting the most weight. Any decent cake deorating book will have guidelines for doweling.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 6

Or you could throw out all your dowels and use SPS. There are many converts here on CC.

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 6

All of the cake books I have seen say to only dowel around the edge of the cake.

I got nervous recently when having to support a 14" layer that was on cardboard. I finally decided (after polling the experts here, and recognizing my time constraints) to just use the wilton plastic dowles around the edge (and only 8 of them) and put the cake on a separator plate. Though the dowels didn't fit into the plate like a regular SPS would, the plate added the rigidity that 14" layer needed so that support only around the edge was adequate.

I think there are many roads to Rome, so it comes down to what method will give you the most confidence and best results.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

I have posted a number of times that I use 4 dowels, no matter what the size .... but I think with a cake this size, even *I* would put some in the middle of that bottom tier! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 6

I use 3/16" dowels on the larger cakes, and I would put a few in the center. More is better icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%