Rolling Fondant Really Thin..... Tips Please......

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 8

I was planning on covering a wedding cake with Choco-Pan (at the bride's request) and a representative at the company told me to roll it approx. 1/8 thickness. I am thinking to myself... how can I possibly roll something so thin and not tear it to shreds!? I am doing a 14X10X6 and the thought of rolling it out and draping it over kinda intimidates me. I am doing square tiers too. Does anyone have any tips, insight, ideas to make this go smoothly? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 8

I have never rolled fondant out that thinly for a cake covering for fear of any problems it would bring but I would be interested in knowing is this something people do on a regular basis with no worries?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

Having the choc. in the fondant, like with chocopan, makes the product VERY strong. My choc. fondant is very strong, too. I roll 1/8" sometimes even thinner....having choc. in a fondant makes a whole of difference in my opinion, if you want your fondant thin.

Jen icon_smile.gif

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 8

Thicker fondant will hide a multitude of sins. So the first thing to know before you cover a cake in thin fondant is this: whatever it looks like before you cover it is what it's gonna look like after you cover it. Every flaw will show, so smooth, smooth, smooth the buttercream and chill it before covering. Surface prep is the key.

And the previous poster is 100% right, chocolate rolled fondant is a dream to work with.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8

I have only 2 words and 1 request:

GOOD LUCK! and please post your pics and experience.

Rae

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 8

I normally roll mine to about 1/8" thick, its not hard at all. (I use Satin Ice)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I normally roll mine to about 1/8" thick, its not hard at all. (I use Satin Ice)

Choco Pan & Satin Ice are 2 completely different, unrelated animals.

An 1/8 inch of Satin Ice is the equivalent of 1/2 an inch of Choco Pan when it comes to coverage & hiding "flaws" icon_eek.gif

Please, no flames, but I'd have to say that if you have no real experience with ChocoPan, trying to cover a 14 x10x6 in it may just send you over the edge. Make sure that you have lots & lots & lots of extra fondant!

Rae

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 8

I definitely appreciate your feedback. I have to real experience with Choco-Pan and am hoping I didnt bite off more than I can chew. Can you please tell me why it is so different behavior-wise? Could a possibility be to roll it thicker, or is that a no-no. The kicker is that the wedding cake is square and I am trying to define the edges as much as I can. Geesh.... maybe I should just try to convince the bride of using buttercream..... Thanks for your opinions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%