Need Some Fast Advice On This Fla Shaped Cake Plz!

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 11:17am by sarahpierce

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 13

I have a customer who emailed a photo of a cake she wants me to make for a retirement party.

It's a carved cake in the shape of Forida, with map detail on it. She's also hoping for a couple on a motorcycle instead of the golf guy. She needs it for 40-45 people and wants a price today.

How in the world do I calculate how big this cake should be to serve 45 servings??? The cake in the Photo looks BIG, and appears to be either 2 layers w/ filling or at least one layer torted and filled. It doesn't look like a single sheet cake layer. What do you think?

Also, what's your opinion on $/srvg? I normally have my prices broken out between single tier and multi-tier, then standard and specialty cake flavors for each.

Thanks in advance for your advice! She wants me to get back to her within the next hour or two.
LL

12 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 13

As for size I would think the main part of the state could be carved out of a 9x13 and then the peninsular could be carved from a small 9x9 square. Then glue the two pieces together with lots of icing. I would think torting and filling both cakes before carving would give you the thickness also.

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks Parable. It's just a funky shape for a cake with all the contours, and I felt like I couldn't wrap my head around any kind of calculation.

A 9x13 plus a 9x9, then torted and filled for height, then carved will be around 40-45 srvgs you think?

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 13

I'm no expert, but you could get out your cake pans and a big sheet of paper and try to draw it out. Then divide into servings to see how many you can get out of that shape. icon_smile.gif HTH.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:49am
post #5 of 13

a 9x13 2 layer has 36 party servings...

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 13

I completely agree with Sarah, as this is how I would approach it. I also get a bit paranoid...when I have to cut I shapes like this, I score it after crumb coating and snap a picture. This way (a) I am sure that she can get all of her servings and (b) should I get questioned, I have the pic with the scored slices. But, again, I am a tad paranoid at times. icon_smile.gif

As far a pricing, I would do $3 per servings...becuase this is what I charge for BC cakes. This one doesn't look extremely difficult. Others may suggest you go higher. Good luck!! Make sure you show us you fantastic pics when you're done!

Swede-cakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 13

WOOOHOOOOO! I got the order! We've agreed on $150 for a carved cake similar to the pic, to serve 35-40 (priced it at 37). I just have to find a little toy motorcycle to replace the golfer.

This is the second carved cake order I have for that same weekend. Florida for Saturday and A Jameson Bottle for Sunday.

(Sounds like a vacation strategy! icon_biggrin.gif )

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 13

Congrats!

Swede-cakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 13

Since I have a thing about preparation and control icon_biggrin.gif , I took both sarahpierce's and tomoore's ideas and it made me feel much more ready to tackle this cake.

I used two 9x13 pcs of paper to sketch the cake and used a sharpie to outline the pieces (like scoring), then I took a pic for my reference. I may also email the pic to the customer, so she gets an idea of how this cake should be cut.

Thanks guys!

sarahpierce Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 13

I'm glad I could help. Make sure you post pictures. And congratulations on the order! thumbs_up.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #11 of 13

Phew! The cake is with its new owners!

I say Phew b/c I baked, torted/filled, carved and crumbcoated last night and around 10pm decided to shut it all down and finish the rest today. Little did I know that I'd be up all night with a sick kid. So after lunch today, I jumped back on the project, and around 3 I get an email from the woman saying that instead of picking it up tomorrow morning, she'll be by tonight at 6pm! I finished that sucker and boxed it up with an hour to spare!

The nice compliment of the evening was after they pull into my drive and get out, the husband is on his cell phone. He takes a peak at the cake and says into the phone "Yeah, the cake's done. It's really sweet lookin'!". They both were happy with it!

Here's the finished product, with the die cast Harley I bought off Ebay.
LL

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #12 of 13

Bravo, you did a wonderful job!

Thanks for putting Jacksonville on the map. icon_biggrin.gif Up until today, we weren't sure we would still be around after TS Fay passed through in the last couple of days.

sarahpierce Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:17am
post #13 of 13

It turned out awesome! thumbs_up.gif I hope your little one is feeling better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%