Earlene's Servings Versus Wilton's

Decorating By thems_my_kids Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm by indydebi

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 27

Whose do you prefer and why?

I'm doing a cake for a wedding in Nov. She wants 125 servings. According to Wilton's I can do a 12", 9", " and 6" and get 127 servings. (She's not saving the top tier.) With Earlene's chart, it would have to be a 14", 12", 8" and 6" resulting in 133 servings. Grrr!

26 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 27

Earlene's charts are a more generous serving than the Wilton charts. I always figure wedding cake servings based on the Wilton chart--I think it's just a personal preference!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 27

Determine what serving chart you're going to use FOR PRICING PURPOSES!!! and stick to it.

I use wilton FOR PRICING PURPOSES because I get more money this way. I tell them it's a standard wedding size serving .... and if they plan to cut it larger, then they need to order a larger cake.

I dropped a cake off today and the hotel staffer asked me if it was designed to serve 200 (yes). He asked "Two inch piece?" I said, "200 servings based on wilton's 1x2x4 standard serving size." He said, "Oh, ok."

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 27

I go by Earlene's. I would hate for my customer to come short on cake b/c the cutter didn't cut each piece perfectly. I would rather give them a little extra than not enough-but thats just me icon_smile.gif

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 27

First off, I ask the bride how much food is going to be served at the reception. If there's a good amount of food, then I go by Wilton's due to the fact that people are not going to want much cake after eating all the other goodies....

If the cake is the main thing and not much other food at all, then I go by Earlene's... I absolutely WILL NOT run out of cake because it doesn't matter how many the bride ordered for, if the cake runs out, then everybody looks at the baker as not knowing how to prepare for enough people. Not one time will you hear anybody say, "Well, the bride must not have ordered enough cake." I am very protective of my reputation in this area and I certainly do not want the reputation of being money hungry and not knowing what I'm doing.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 27

I think that with a wedding cake, wich usually is 4 inches tall, a one inch slice by 4 inches tall is considered pretty generous..But if you are doing singles then I might think different..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 27

I generally use Wilton party for party, and Earlene for weddings. I always have people say they have cake leftover (of course I overestimate with carved cakes to make sure I have enough servings once carved down). Only once did I have someone complain the cake wasn't large enough, and it was a guy. ha.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 27

Bonjovibabe once posted a picture of wooden pieces her hubby made to show the actual slices.

Here it is....
LL

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 27

Well, my dirty little secret is that I have used Earlene's in the past, but wasn't making enough of a profit, so I moved back to Wilton.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 27

Most venues have a cake cutter going by the Wilton chart, as I understand. I did my niece's wedding at a very busy place in Norther KY, and each slice was perfectly 1X2X4. If it's different, either you have to cut it yourself, or let the venue know. The standard in the industry is 1x2x4...anything else, even as well as Earlene is known in our industry...is going to require instructing.

Personally, compared to the dinner the venue at my niece's served, I preffered the cake.

I am sure Indydebi doesn't have that problem when she caters the whole thing!

I would also charge according to Wilton, it is an average adult serving.

indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

It's also a nice size for kids at birthdays ... something I've observed at the many kids' birthday parties that have taken place at my daughters house ... she has no fewer than 10 kids running around. No wasted cake, either. Kids don't really need a big 'ole giant piece of cake ... they have too much energy anyway! (wish I could bottle it, somedays!)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 27

Definitely Wilton. 1) I make more $. With Earlenes charts, youre giving away cake for free. 2) Every caterer in the country is gonna cut to Wilton's chart anyway. It's the on they ALL know and use. So no matter what you provide, it's gonna be cut per the Wilton chart. 3) The Wilton chart sizes are plenty of cake. It's not a little piece like some peopel think. It's a reasonable piece.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

It's also a nice size for kids at birthdays ... something I've observed at the many kids' birthday parties that have taken place at my daughters house ... she has no fewer than 10 kids running around. No wasted cake, either. Kids don't really need a big 'ole giant piece of cake ... they have too much energy anyway! (wish I could bottle it, somedays!)

I WISH the kids at my kid's parties would eat such a slice...I had 3/4 of a head leftover from the Stormtrooper cake...looked like I had ongoing brain surgery going on in my refrigerator. Of course the kids also had Totino's pizza rolls, chips, pretzels, assorted high-octane (read: sugar) fruit juice concoctions and the ubiquitous ice cream with the cake. Every year, I throw half the cake out.

With a wedding, throw in any assortment of appetizers, dinner, high octane (read: alcoholic....or even sugary) drinks, adrenaline from the whole getting dressed up and going out thing....and you'll see why the Wilton chart seriously does a decorator well.

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #14 of 27

I use wilton,,,,
never heard of earlene before but wilton's always worked perfect for me

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:21am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Definitely Wilton. 1) I make more $. With Earlenes charts, youre giving away cake for free. 2) Every caterer in the country is gonna cut to Wilton's chart anyway. It's the on they ALL know and use. So no matter what you provide, it's gonna be cut per the Wilton chart. 3) The Wilton chart sizes are plenty of cake. It's not a little piece like some peopel think. It's a reasonable piece.

Exactly. Then when the bride sees all the leftover cake she may be UPSET that you sold her (and charged her for) more than she needed. Wilton is the best to go by.

I tell people its the slice size your SUPPOSED to eat, not the Great American Wedge. It generally gets a laugh and then they agree.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #16 of 27

I use wilton (pretty much) I just round it down for round numbers. Earlene's is too big for weddings and like Leah said.. caterers/cake cutters cut the wilton slice regardless of what you tell them. If there is a bunch of cake leftover people can get upset.. they think you robbed them or something when in reality.. you robbed yourself. icon_wink.gif

I sell by the wedding slice.. if you need more because you are looking for bigger slices then you can order more.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #17 of 27

Like most of the others, I use the Wilton chart in order to make more profit. It truly is a nice dessert size. If someone wants more, then they can always take another piece.

In response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

If the cake is the main thing and not much other food at all, then I go by Earlene's... I absolutely WILL NOT run out of cake because it doesn't matter how many the bride ordered for, if the cake runs out, then everybody looks at the baker as not knowing how to prepare for enough people. Not one time will you hear anybody say, "Well, the bride must not have ordered enough cake." I am very protective of my reputation in this area and I certainly do not want the reputation of being money hungry and not knowing what I'm doing.

I have never had a bride ever complain there wasn't enough cake. More times than not I hear "the cake was fabulous, everyone loved it so much, there wasn't any left!!" The bride feels she gave her guests a good dessert and got her monies worth.

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I tell people its the slice size your SUPPOSED to eat, not the Great American Wedge. It generally gets a laugh and then they agree.

I tell them "it's not a honking restaurant sized slab of cake, but then I'm not charging you $8 per serving either." They like that comparison. Of course if you are charging $8 per serving, don't say this. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

If the cake is the main thing and not much other food at all, then I go by Earlene's...

My daughter complains because we're a one-dish-dinner house (I'm a caterer ... we have no food at our house! icon_redface.gif ) icon_redface.gif So it's not uncommon for us to have "just chicken" or "just tacos". On the nights where KFC chicken is the only dish, KFC is not going to throw in extra chicken because we chose not to buy any sides to go with it. It is MY responsibility to be sure to order enough "just chicken" for us for the night.

When I get brides like this, I educate them on how it works. I don't just throw in free cake. I tell them that at a cake-n-punch reception, people tend to eat more cake, since it IS the only food and they might want to think about ordering a larger cake.

I have to do the same thing with people who want "just appetizers" for a dinner reception. I have to educate them on just how much food people WILL eat when celery is the only food, and show them why it's in THEIR best interest to order the proper amount of food.

And mamajan, I actually tell them the point you were making ... I say, "'coz if you run out of food, people won't complain because YOU didn't order enough food. Oh no, THEY will tell everyone how Debi didnt' bring enough food and we're not going to allow that, are we?" (smile sweetly as I look over my glasses at them).

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 27

indydebi and mamajan

I was asked to bring a cake to my Aunts 50th birthday party. She wanted me to bring a 2 layer, 8 inch Hawaiin Pineapple Cake. I asked how many people would be there. She said 85!

I said well let me bring a half sheet cake then.

Nope. She said someone else is bringing brownies and cookies and cupcakes.

I asked if I should bring a chocolate cake as well then.

Nope.

We were sitting at the table with some distant elderly relatives and they were talking about the cake and how was that supposed to be enough for every body, etc. I told them I brought the cake and I asked over and over if I should bring more cake, a bigger cake, etc.

But that my aunt kept saying, no we will be having brownies and cupcakes too.

The distant relative said no matter what else is here, almost everyone is still going to want a slice of the birthday cake. They were worried they wouldn't get a piece.

Hardly anyone touched the cupcakes cause they melted.

But I felt the same way, like it was MY Fault there wasn't enough cake even though I asked her repeatedly if I should bring more!

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #21 of 27

Maybe it's the area I'm in... I don't know... but to be honest, I'm in "Redneckville"... it takes months to gain a good reputation, but it takes about 5 minutes and running out of food for these folks to ruin your name.... I've seen it happen to many decorators and caterers in this area. I do some light catering, but mostly cakes.

Nobody in this area gives a rip about your consultation with the hostess/bride. They're just worried about that almighty cake/food... It's amazing... I've had to have some of my servers to stop the repeated visits to the chocolate fountain table... I had one guy go back SIX times to my Lobster/Crab dip.... I finally had to step in on that after my server reported it to me... I'm 6'2" and not afraid to step in when needed.... icon_smile.gif

I don't know if it has to do with this area... or not, but I know if I'm going to continue to maintain my rep, then I've got to be very careful with the quantity of cake/food that I bring to the table.... Welcome to the South! icon_smile.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:13am
post #22 of 27

I started out using Earlenes, but realized the Wiltons servings chart was more "realistic" so I am now using Wiltons.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:12am
post #23 of 27

I do an in-between of Wiltons and Earlene's. If they say they want "real pieces of cake" I tell them to order more cake then.

Most places (almost all of them where I'm located) do not have the staff cut the cake but have someone who's a guest at the wedding do it. This can cause problems, big cake cutting problems.
I've only made a few wedding cakes but have been asked to cut a lot of wedding cakes since I was a teenager. *You all would scream if you saw what my mom considered a tiny slice of cake---it's a small brick. I call them Jethro pieces (off of Beverly Hillbillies--man, I loved that show.)

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:28am
post #24 of 27

Of course what some people fail to realize is that a bride may have invited 300 people and she orders cake for 300 people but in reality only 180 show up ( IndyDebs 60% rule) so they are going to have plenty of cake anyway...they just don't know it yet...

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #25 of 27

CakeRN, had a call from a mom yesterday shopping for catering pricing. She needs an estimate for 250 people. I asked her "How many did you invite?" She said, "250 people". icon_eek.gif So I explain how she can save about $2000 by figuring food for those who might actually show up, instead of food for everyone who they invited.

leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #26 of 27

I explain that to them also. Then I also have to explain, once they have their rsvps that yes, you need to buy cake for all those who said they're coming. You need a chair, a plate of food, a drink, and dessert for each person. "But we don't want leftovers." Well the options are run out or have leftovers. You will not be able to figure this exactly. There will be food left over on the buffet, there may be some cake left. That's just the way it is when you're dealing with real people and trying to figure how much they will eat.

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Well the options are run out or have leftovers.

icon_lol.gif I LUV this!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%