Need Bow/drape Help

Decorating By jess2523 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm by jess2523

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 5

I need a little help with how to make the bow and drape on this cake. I've never done this before. Should I use fondant or gumpaste, or a mix of the two? I've never worked with gumpaste before, but I'm willing to give it a try if it would work better. I'm not sure how to form the drape, do I just form the drape as I lay it on the cake? Also, I plan to transport this cake assembled and I've purchased SPS to use for this. My question is what keeps the bottom cake from sliding off the base board? Is a layer of buttercream under the bottom cardboard enough to hold it? Thanks so much
LL

4 replies
SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 5

To make the drapes, I would use a mix of half fondant and half gumpaste. The gupaste will give it the elasticity you need to shape the drapes without them tearing. You will shape the drapes as you lay them on the cake.

I usually just set the bottom layer of cake right on the base board, but if you use the cardboard under the cake, I would tape it to the base. A little bit of buttercream isn't going to stop any sliding if you have to hit your brakes a little harder than you want to. Folded over packing or duct tape will hold a lot more secure.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

I hot glue my bottom tier down to the base board icon_wink.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 5

Stunning cake. I use fondant mixed into my gumpaste as well. Can't wait to see the finished cake!

angie

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I've never transported an assembled cake before, so I'm a little nervous. I'll be sure and post pictures when it's done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%