Help! I Need A Chocolate Cake Recipe That Can Torte & St

Decorating By Desicakes Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm by Desicakes

Desicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desicakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

Ok, so the good news is I apparently can make one heck of a moist chocolate cake. The bad news is, after attempting 3 different recipes I can't get a good moist rich recipe that will BOTH torte and stack up tall for a tiered cake design. The cakes are heavenly, but too soft for this purpose. One recipe was not chocolatey enough but definetely dense enough, one fell apart as I torted it, and one--the best one using an old fashioned double chocolate cake recipe from Barefoot Contessa--was divine in taste but too soft and spongy to work.

So I have spent 2 days on 3 different cake recipes and I'm frustrated as can be. Does anyone have a great rich moist recipe for a chocolate cake that can hold the weight of torting and fondant and stacking (I know to use dowels, but these cakes are too soft to have that help)? Or, any ideas for making my decadent Barefoot COntessa cake a bit more sturdy?

Thanks a bunch!

3 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 4

I use pillsbury plus dark chocolate cake mix tortes great stacks fine and I have gotten raves for the 27 years I've used it. I do add one thing. I mix a 16 oz bottle of corn syrup with an 8 oz bottle of Butavan then I add one tablespoon per box of cake mix. I also mix the same amount of corn syrup with cream bouquet and add to cakes

Jibbies

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 4

Try the Chocolate Stout Cake on epicurious, it is fantastic, everyone absolutely dies for this cake when I make it. I have used it for weddings, carved, etc.

Desicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desicakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%