Wilton Instructor

Decorating By cupcakers Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm by zubia

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:14am
post #1 of 23

I know I have seen this subject before but I searched and searched and came up with nothing.I applied to be a Wilton instructor at Michael's.I know a lot of you out there are instructors and I just wanted to know what you think about the job and how the pay is.I love decorating so I thought I would enjoy it.Please give me any input you have.Thanks icon_smile.gif

22 replies
Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 23

I'd be curious to know too, I actually enjoy the classes, but I have a hard time not "contributing" because I'm just relearning things I already know.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 23

I am a Wilton instructor at A.C. Moore. It is fun teaching the classes, but I certainly don't do it for the pay, that's for sure. By the time you pay for gas, supplies, etc., you don't make very much $, if any. You have to use your own supplies to teach the class. The classes last 2 hours, 4 times a month...and I also spend time preparing for class each week. So once you calculate the time involved, the expense for the supplies used, the gas, etc.....it all adds up.

I get paid around $120 for a 4-week class up to 4 students (I think...don't quote me on that, because I don't remember exactly....but that's close) I get paid a few dollars extra if there are more students. So the bottom line is, I do it because I love cake decorating, and I love teaching others the art of cake decorating.....NOT because the pay is good.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #4 of 23

I'm a WMI @ Hobby Lobby - I do enjoy it because I feel like I'm getting paid to do something that I enjoy - you can pretty much set your own schedule (as long as the stores' classroom is available), the pay is good when you figure $120 minimum, divide by 8 hours classtime and that's $15/hour...the pay goes up depending on how many students you have...
plus, it gets me out of the house a few nights a week...
on another note I do know Michaels' WMI's are going thru alot right now with new policies at their stores, but I'm happy at Hobby Lobby...

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #5 of 23

I became a WMI last November, and I really enjoy it. I have two accounts, one with Joann's, and one with a local community college, so it takes up a good amount of time. Between the two I do make a good amount, but you do have to calculate in supplies, gas, and time. I really enjoy being a WMI, and it goes great with my other job, and going to college full time. I love teaching people how to decorate, because its something I love, for me its a rewarding position I hold.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #6 of 23

That is such a pittance for the amount of work these classes extract! considering how much Wilton makes by selling their products not only upfront but over the years per student...this is nothing. I hope they review these policies..especially about paying for your own supplies..a friend of mine was a wmi and was always complaing about the time it took her to make dummies for the store-at her own cost!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:47am
post #7 of 23

Okay, I'm a Michaels WMI, so I'll try to give you my side.

This is one of those jobs where you do it because you really enjoy it and not to make alot of money from it. I consider the pay good for what I do, but it isn't that job to do to pay the bills. It's more of the spending money kind of job.

You get paid $134 per course (4 lesson) for 1 - 6 Students. From there the pay goes up for 7-9 to $154. From there it is an additional $3 per student up to 15. Michaels wants you to offer atleast two courses a month, but since we are the only classes there now they really encourage you to offer all 4 as well as project classes. On average I have about 3 courses a month that make.

We also do demo's every other month. These are scheduled on certain Saturdays during the afternoon hours. You get $39 for a 2 hour demo.

At Michaels you are an employee so taxes are removed from your check. They are going to direct deposit or a pay card (no more paper checks.) And as of Sept. 1 there is a dress code. You will also recieve 25% off any non sale items you purchase.

Also being a WMI allows you to get a 40% off discount when you order directly from Wilton. There are ways to earn free things and Gift Certificates as well. And every now and then Wilton give out freebies.

Everything you use in class does come out of your pocket though, so there is a little cost to teaching. Plus you have some paper work and prep to do outside of class.

I love teaching and have been doing it for 4 years. I enjoy showing people what I have learned and watching them grew as a decorator. If you have any more question fee free to PM me and I will try to answer them for you.

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 23

Thank you everyone for all of your input.TexasSugar I will pm you with any questions I may think of.I don't even know if I have the job yet! icon_cool.gif

TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 23

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #10 of 23

That's something I've been thinking about too. I just started the wilton classes so I am a total newbie. I know, I'm way ahead of myself arent' I? I usually do that. icon_wink.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 23

hey you have got to have an aim! Go for it !

Juny1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 23

I just "graduated" from my final Wilton Course. I must say it's been the best thing I've done yet. I wish I could continue...that's why I've seriously considered becoming a WMI.

TexasSugar, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this subject...thank you for elightening all of us here.

I'm pretty confident about everything I've learned; however, the only part that scares me are the royal icing flowers from course 3. I think that's my only fear. I may go back and take a refresher course PRIOR to committing to becoming a WMI. I want to make sure I perfect every skill as much as possible before leading a class.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 23

I am a Canadian WMI at a Michaels and have been teaching for over 6 years.

When you break the pay down per hour, it is quite good. I agree it can't replace a full time job to pay bills and such, but to get paid really well for something you love to do, that's priceless. We get paid a bit more (we still pay more for Wilton product in store than the US Michaels) per class, but as an WMI you can order from Wilton for a discount, you can also attend the classes at Wilton headquarters for a discount.

It is true there have been changes over this year, basically Wilton is all that is left in the classroom, and newer stores are not even getting classrooms, it is going modular style. I had minimal disruption, and if anything more room in class and on the schedule.

It has been a very rewarding experience and I too knew the first night of course 1 that I wanted to teach. There are bumps along the way, difficult students, but still well worth it. It is a job, and you gain valuable skills.

Oh, and at least in Canada, the dress code (tan pants and black shirts) has been put on hold.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny1980

TexasSugar, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this subject...thank you for elightening all of us here.

I'll try to help when/where I can. I've been teaching for just over 4 years and I still can't believe that I have been doing it that long. It really doesn't seem like it. I have a great store, with a great management time and sales associates. That does play a big part into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny1980

I'm pretty confident about everything I've learned; however, the only part that scares me are the royal icing flowers from course 3. I think that's my only fear. I may go back and take a refresher course PRIOR to committing to becoming a WMI. I want to make sure I perfect every skill as much as possible before leading a class.

I would actually suggest anyone go back and take atleast one of the courses, course 1 is a great one, before you start teaching. Or see if there is a local instructor that would let you sit in on their classes. I was lucky enough to do that when I started, and let me tell you it is a totally different experince when you are looking at the class from a teacher point of view than a student's.

I'll also say, in my experince, it isn't about being able to do every techinque prefectly. I can show my students 10 times how to do a 'prefect shell" (hehe, okay mine aren't even perfect 10 times in a row), but it doesn't mean they will then be able to do it. Being able to troubleshoot and explain what they are doing wrong is just as important as telling/showing them how to do it right. So don't stress out on getting everything down prefect. You want to be able to do the techiniques in the class, but the more you do it in class the better yours will get as well.

My roses were far from perfect when I started 4 years ago. As I do them every month in class they have gotten alot better. Plus it gives me a chance to appear my 'human' to my students. I always tell them the story my course 1 and how I couldn't do roses to save my life. That I left the class that night with a naked cake. Sometimes for some people it just doesn't click right away. But with time and practice, if they don't give up, they too can do roses. I'm a living example of that. icon_smile.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay, I'm a Michaels WMI, so I'll try to give you my side.

This is one of those jobs where you do it because you really enjoy it and not to make alot of money from it. I consider the pay good for what I do, but it isn't that job to do to pay the bills. It's more of the spending money kind of job.

You get paid $134 per course (4 lesson) for 1 - 6 Students. From there the pay goes up for 7-9 to $154. From there it is an additional $3 per student up to 15. Michaels wants you to offer atleast two courses a month, but since we are the only classes there now they really encourage you to offer all 4 as well as project classes. On average I have about 3 courses a month that make.

We also do demo's every other month. These are scheduled on certain Saturdays during the afternoon hours. You get $39 for a 2 hour demo.

At Michaels you are an employee so taxes are removed from your check. They are going to direct deposit or a pay card (no more paper checks.) And as of Sept. 1 there is a dress code. You will also recieve 25% off any non sale items you purchase.

Also being a WMI allows you to get a 40% off discount when you order directly from Wilton. There are ways to earn free things and Gift Certificates as well. And every now and then Wilton give out freebies.

Everything you use in class does come out of your pocket though, so there is a little cost to teaching. Plus you have some paper work and prep to do outside of class.

I love teaching and have been doing it for 4 years. I enjoy showing people what I have learned and watching them grew as a decorator. If you have any more question fee free to PM me and I will try to answer them for you.

TexasSugar did an excellent job of explaining Wilton, I too am a Wilton instructor for Michael's and I absolutley love it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 23

I've been a WMI for 10 years and I love it. For the past couple of years, I've been offering more and more classes, so now I am up to teaching 9 courses per month. Several of them have 15 students, so it's really easy money for doing something I find to be really fun. Because the number of students varies seasonally, I don't really count on this part-time job to pay the bills, but it certainly does allow me to buy cool cake toys and take lots of classes with professionals (Nicholas Lodge, Jennifer Dontz, Debbie Brown, Bronwen Weber, Aine2/ Lorraine McKay).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 23

I taught Wilton for aboutg 8 yrs; I've been gone for about 4 so I'm not up on the latest in pay etc.
I just wanted to point out that you can buy the supplies from Wilton at a discount (Or at least I did) OR you can also ask the store for what you need. I often got colors; gel even pans from the store w/o cost. I labled them and passed them on to the next instructor when I left.
Yes, you do use some of your own things like sugar & cake mix; mixer (I buned out a couple of them in the 8 yrs) but most everything else was discounted &/or free.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #18 of 23

I just saw this thread ,I also have few questions.I applied for WMI when I first took the classes like 4 years ago, on line via Wiltons web site,I got a mail but by then I was expecting my fist kid so I did n't persue it.Now I filled their form again as they have a position closer to home. what do I need to have to get this job if there is some competition?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #19 of 23

Fill out a new screening form, as they only keep them on file for six months, and wait for Wilton to contact you.

Sherri

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #20 of 23

I also am a WMI at Michaels I love teaching also. I became an instructor as soon as I was done taking the last class- course 3 then. My instructor had me fill out the form on the Wilton web site and also recommended me as an instructor.

If you know an instructor have that person recommend you.

zandramads2u3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zandramads2u3 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #21 of 23

Besides the great 40% discounts on our products and always receiving extra bonus gift certificates. I enjoy the yearly Meetings and seminars Wilton's provides their WMI. I am also looking forward to taking advantage of that discount for the master course. so in the end what I have spent I know will be worth the investment. I see that every time i teach a class and a student can't believe how beautiful a cake turned out THEY did. I guess it is like anything, it is how you look at "Is it worth it?" Student success for me makes it. icon_biggrin.gif

zandramads2u3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zandramads2u3 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #22 of 23

Besides the great 40% discounts on our products and always receiving extra bonus gift certificates. I enjoy the yearly Meetings and seminars Wilton's provides their WMI. I am also looking forward to taking advantage of that discount for the master course. so in the end what I have spent I know will be worth the investment. I see that every time i teach a class and a student can't believe how beautiful a cake turned out THEY did. I guess it is like anything, it is how you look at "Is it worth it?" Student success for me makes it. icon_biggrin.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you every one for the valuble information. Just had an other one,what should I expect from my interview ? what will they ask and what kind of cake pictures they will want to see. I donot have many pics of icing flowers .So should I make some cakes and decorate them wilton way???
Thank you so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%