Constructive Criticism Needed On Bouquet...

Baking By bakinccc Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm by bakinccc

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 36

How can I make this bouquet better? I bought the pot thinking I'd do this awesome bouquet of blue flowers (maybe mother's day next year or get well)...well, I'm not liking it at all!! icon_cry.gif

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it better. I really don't want to hear that you like it the way it is because I'm so unhappy with the look. I know I'll never do it in a bouquet. So hit me with your best shot!!!!!! You can suggest anything...just keep with the blue flower theme. THANKS!!!

Jennifer
LL

35 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 36

Can you give me a better description of what the flowers are made of?

Off the top of my head I'd suggest adding some greenery to the pot...if you going for more of an authentic look.

bakinccc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 36

they are 1/2" thick sugar cookies with royal icing...black outlined. The greenery thing sounds like a winner but any suggestions on the cookies themselves?

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 36

Maybe stems with leaves on them.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 36

Ahha! Maybe the outline would look better if it were white as I don't see any black on the pot. May make the flowers "pop" a bit more.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 36

I wouldn't outline in black. I think also maybe trying a flower cookie cutter with a fuller petal. Just my opinion.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 36

What if you made cookies that mimic the flower design on the pot: square cookies in varying shades of blue with the flowers piped inside of the square.

If you don't want to do that then I think either a white border or a blended blue border would look nice.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

How can I make this bouquet better? I bought the pot thinking I'd do this awesome bouquet of blue flowers (maybe mother's day next year or get well)...well, I'm not liking it at all!! icon_cry.gif

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it better. I really don't want to hear that you like it the way it is because I'm so unhappy with the look. I know I'll never do it in a bouquet. So hit me with your best shot!!!!!! You can suggest anything...just keep with the blue flower theme. THANKS!!!

Jennifer

I Love the pot; it's a cute concept. I think the black outline takes away from the colors. Try white, maybe it will brighten them up. The shape of the flower is different from the flowers in the pot -- 5 petal vs. 8. Changing the flower cutter might help "fix" things visually for you. Also, adding greenery, was a great suggestion. I love how you arranged the flowers though. That shape fits nicely, definitely keep that. Your work is gorgeous and I'm sure you'll figure it out. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 36

I would add a ladybug or something else besides the flowers to cute-n it up a little.

stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 36

How about a smiling face on just one of the yellow centers?

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 36

If I'm seeing it right, you haven't actually put the cookies on sticks and in the pot yet, right? They're on a plate and you've put the flower pot next to it to get an idea of what it will look like?

Anyway, if I'm seeing this correctly, I think you have to realize that it will look differently when you put the cookies on the sticks and arrange them in the pot. Right now the effect is two-dimensional. I think it will look a lot different once you "arrange" them in 3 dimensions.

Other than that, I agree with the white outline instead of black. Actually, I liked all the suggestions.

And even though you weren't looking for people to say it looks great or whatnot, I just wanted to say that you have a great idea, the cookies are very pretty, and you should be commended for both your skill and your desire to see it even better.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 36

It really is just the black outline that doesn't go with it. I would either use the blue or white, and either fatter petals or petals with more of a point to them. I think I'd probably do pointy blue flowers and then white tulips. Putting the cookies on sticks and adding some green tissue paper would make it look totally different...you've got lovely countertops but I think they're keeping you from seeing how it would look all arranged...maybe if you put a piece of white paper under the glass plate you'd get a better idea of how they look.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 36

what about dusting details onto the flowers or with icing add veining to them? maybe extending the length of the petal and making the center a bit smaller might help. you could also wrap the sticks with florist tape and add on leaves for a more realistic play on the flowers, it would elevate them from just cookie pops stuck in a pot. hope this was helpful.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 36

I just thought, with all the suggestions of either fatter or more-petaled flowers, why not do a variety of flower shapes? Just another suggestion.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 36

Hiya
I'm not a 'cookie' person so i don't really know the techniques etc so please ignore me if my suggestion is nonsense. I think something to add a bit of texture would lift them especially the petals, to me they seem very flat and visually bland (sorry i apologise if that sounds mean, it's not meant to icon_redface.gif ). As i don't know anything about cookies I can't suggest anything but i think you need something that would be the cookie equivalent to lustre dust. I don't mean that in a literal sense I mean something that will give the same lift and wow effect that lustre dust gives to fondant.
Ok i'll stop blethering rubbish coz i clearly have no idea what i'm talking about...my intention was good, pity my creativity wasn't icon_cry.gif

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #16 of 36

Your cookies are always amazing. But here goes; when I use black I 've found that you have to completely outline every individual petal for it to look right, and sometimes even add little dots etc. to have it look like it goes together. The center should be smaller perhaps. But since you want it to go in that particular pot, I would go with the darker blue color (on the pot) as an outline and accent, rather than black because it would tie it to the pot better, and still give you a dark outline color. Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll figure it out as you have a fabulous talent for decorating cookies.

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #17 of 36

I actually think that because you have a "dark" background behind the flowers it may be making it look different.. To me they look fine...I think once you stick them on sticks..it will be okay... What are your centers..glittery? sugary? Try putting this behind a WHITE background then decide.

HappyValley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyValley Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 36

Try more yellow, Add some yellow flower to the mix. I also agree with every one on the black outline. Love the pot! thumbs_up.gif

bakinccc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 36

WOW - thanks for all the GREAT suggestions!!

Just so everyone knows, yes, that's a plate of cookies set beside a pot turned on it's side just to give you the idea of a bouquet. When I actually make it for just that special purpose in the future here's what I'm going to change thanks to all your ideas...

You're right, the black outline doesn't do a thing for it. I'm going to outline in blue or white.

I'm going to change the shape of the flower to one with fatter petals. (duh, can't believe I didn't think of that one myself. They don't even match the pot right now! Actually, I just did the flowers in the picture just for fun, not for this actual bouquet I want to make.)

I may make some of the cookies square with flowers on them like the patterns on the pot.

And I'm going to add lines to the petals to give them more depth and texture.

I just couldn't "see" it before but now I can! Someday, when I actually make it I'll post pics and thank my cc friends for helping me create it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the great suggestions!!

Jennifer

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #20 of 36

I would use a couple of flower sizes (no more than three...probably just two). You could fill in with the smaller flowers. Maybe have smaller white daisies, the others being the blue flowers. I also like the idea of outlining in blue or white, rather than black. I have no doubt you'll make a stunning arrangement, given all your talent, and I look forward to seeing the end result!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #21 of 36

I think taking away the black (maybe not outlining them at all) and using a different cutter is all you need to make them flow better with the pot. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 36

Sorry... but are they really 1/2" thick? That is one THICK cookie!

bakinccc Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 36

KoryAK - yes, they are 1/2" thick cookies!!

One other question if anyone has the time...I noticed that the blue doesn't really match the pot perfectly. The flowers are more of a yellowy-blue. What do I add to get the more clear blue like the pot?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 36

I would try adding a touch of purple. You need more of a delft blue than what you have, I think.

wyckedwytch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyckedwytch Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #25 of 36

Jennifer,

You've gotten some great advice, I agree with omitting the black and going with a similar flooding color for outlining. I also think if you outline each petal it would give it more dimension and I would make the centers smaller. I would avoid adding cutesie (sp) details I think it detracts from the maturity of the pot.
I would add another flower shape either smaller or larger for variety and I think I would only have a few cookies that were blue and make most of them white or more blue with a few white. I also would avoid yellow centers and go with either white centers or complimenting blues.
I found some great flower images on the web, These are not my flowers or images. Though they do not match the pot, they are very pretty and would be great shapes
Heather
LL

wyckedwytch Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 36

I don't know how to do all the pictures in one post so here's two more
LL

wyckedwytch Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #27 of 36

and this one
LL

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #28 of 36

I agree about the black outlines, also I think adding in like a bright red lady bug or one or two pink or purple flowers would be nice, just a pop of a contrasting color. I love the pot and I think these will be adorable when you're done!

bakinccc Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #29 of 36

Gemini - adding purple is a good suggestion...I'll try that next time.

Wyckedwytch - thanks for the photos. I see what you mean about the centers. I think even maybe a paler yellow would do it too.

Thanks to everyone...now I hope the right situation comes along for that pot!!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #30 of 36

You can make a few leaf cookies to add to it..I agree the black takes away from it
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%