What To Make 3-D Elmo's Eyes Out Of?

Decorating By froggyqueen Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm by mamacc

froggyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to attempt to make 3-d elmo and I have never worked with fondant before. I was wondering if the eyes and nose could be made out of candy clay or fondant or anything else that might not be too heavy and fall off. Thanks!

6 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 7

Could use fondant...I made the one in my avatar picture and used some "gummy" eyeballs that I found at the dollar store after halloween.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 7

I have never tried this but maybe if you mix some gum paste with the fondant to make it set up harder you coud put some sticks in the eyes and nose to push it into the cake. Just an idea.

~Shannon

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 7

I'm making a 3D Elmo bust on a sheet cake for my son's 2nd birthday party on Saturday. The eyes and nose are going to be fodant... His head is RKT and it is currently sitting out to get stale and harden up. Hopefully that will allow it to hold the weight of the fondant.

I can let you know if it doesn't work out for me... thgough if you're making the head out of cake, it would be different. when I did an Elmo head trial in cake, it didn't hold up so well, so I changed the plan.
LL
LL

froggyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 7

I have 2 recipes I' going to try and if all else fails I might use tiny doughnuts or dip doughnut holes in white choc. I hope something works : ) thanks ladies!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 7

I had never made or worked with fondant before... Until I made this batch of MMF just to play with and figure out how to make Elmo's eyes and nose. It is super easy, and you can keep it FOREVER as long as you keep it wrapped up very tightly and protected from the air.

If i can do it, anybody can thumbs_up.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 7

I've used just fondant balls before and it worked fine. But if you want his eyes to be really big than I would cover rice krispie treats with fondant. My last elmo cake was really big (80-90 servings) and I wished I had made his eyes bigger and used RK's...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%