Anyone Gone Through The Interntional Adoption Process

Lounge By mawagner Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm by TC123

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

and survived? LOL

Seriously, if there is anyone that has gone through this I would love to hear about your experience. We are in the middle of "the great paperchase" and sometimes I feel like I am going absolutely crazy! icon_eek.gif Every time we send out a new piece of paperwork we lose any control we thought we had as we wait and wait and wait for someone else to complete their job!

So, if anyone knows what this is like, I would love to hear your story!
thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't, but my neighbors went through it. They thought they were getting one Russian baby, but once they got to the orphanage, the "sales people" their term, not mine, pressured them into taking 4. They have all had some issues, physical and mental, and have had a lot of therapy.

Good luck! I know it is a long road.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

My sister and BIL have. They adopted their first child from China. It was 13 months from the time their paperwork was logged in until the time they came home with my niece, Christmas eve 2003. Not bad.

So thinking it would be that way again, they submitted paperwork a second time. It's Log-in date was 3/27/06. Over 2 years ago!! Things have really slowed down in China regarding adoptions. They are realizing that the baby boys are growing up and have no prospective wives.

My sis is expecting to finally get to travel to China around May of 2009, but that could change again.

They keep up with this website that says how many days a month paperwork is being processed and it's an educated guess as to when you'll get your referral.
http://www.chinaadoptionforecast.com/

mawagner Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:26am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for sharing!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 9

We have two friends that have both adopted twice. The first family adopted from Vietnam and Ukran. SHe said during one of the adoptions someone along the line lost their paper work!! She said it was awful!! She wasn't sure she was going to make it but the other one went fine.
The other couple adopted both from Columbia and it was a lot of paper work but no big problems! Hang in there and hope things go smooth for you and quick!

((Hugs))

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

I know its a tedious process. Hang in there for the results justify the pains! Good luck.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #7 of 9

My girlfriend just brought home her baby daughter from Guatemala about 2 weeks ago. It took about 9-10 months to go through. Initially she and her husband were trying to adopt from China, but I believe the waiting list time for the organization they were with was several years (from the time of approval), so they chose to go with another organization. I know it can be disheartening at times (when things get "lost" and your waiting and waiting), but just hang in there. Because when everything is said, done, certified, mailed, filed, re-filed, etc., and you finally get to bring a little angel home, it is soooo worth it! icon_smile.gif

By the way, I've heard "your story" many times from my friend, so you're not alone in how you're feeling. .... Saying a prayer for you!

mawagner Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:13am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much everyone for your words of wisdom! I don't mean to complain, it just feels so out of control! What makes it worse, is that we are adopting from China so the LONG wait is very daunting. Everytime we have to turn paperwork over we know that there is another opportunity to make the process even longer. I keep trying to remember that we've waited almost 7 years for a little one, so what's 3 more years? I think I just needed to hear that someone else made it through this process. Thanks again!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

You're not complaining. It's a long process. And much of it kind of IS out of your control. You don't know who's reviewing your paperwork, what authority they have to approve or reject it, etc. It's just downright frightening. I hope things move quickly for you. Wishing you blessings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%