Fondant Leaves For Palm Tree...help!

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 3:54am by Lesia

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

I will keep this short. I am using a large pretzel stick for the trunk of a palm tree. I made leaves from fondant/gumpast mixture. How do I attach the leaves to the top of the pretzel and get them to stand out instead of drooping down or splitting? I also made some with color flow but they would dissolve or break when I tried to attach with gumpaste glue. Any advice?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

Let the leaves dry first, then attach them. It will probably be easiest if you make a ball of brown fondant attached to the top of the pretzel stick, with the top flattened, and then attach the leaves to the flat part.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 7

I did some on a cake and used royal icing to attach the leaves. I had to hold them for a few minutes in place to set up a little and then propped them up in a glass to finish drying. It was sort of trial and error but it eventually worked and they stayed on without any problems.

If you use colorflow you would need to use royal to attach them as well. I don't think you can get royal or colorflow wet without them breaking down.

HTH and good luck!

hummingbird59 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will keep trying.

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #5 of 7

I'm almost embarrased to admit because it was one of the first cakes I had evermade, but I made a pretzel kind of palm tree, I made the leaves out of colour melts, and attached them with a spot of melted chocolate, they stayed in place on one of the hottest nights I can remember. You can see it in my photos.

hummingbird59 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 7

Burgderb,

thanks for the info. I might try that next time. Have tried candy melts yet, but look good. I think mine may be ok. I am waiting for them to dry. Have to put the cake together today.

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #7 of 7

I'm probably too late - but I made these before using Ritz-Bitz crackers as sort of a "hub" to attach the fronds to. I dipped the ritz-bitz in candy melts, dipped the end of the pretzel stick in candy melts, and then held them together until it would stay upright. I then popped it into the freezer (hub side down) on a piece of parchment paper and let it set really well. Then I stood it upright in a tall drinking glass, and attached the fronds with dabs of candy melts. I put it in the freezer after every couple of fronds for a few minutes, to "set" and then continued until finished. They held up great. I found this method somewhere on-line (sorry, can't give credit as I don't remember where).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%