Question For All Missouri Cake Decorators...........

Business By swick55 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 1:01am by lilyanddayne

swick55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swick55 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 3

Lately I have been having trouble with customers not wanting to pay my prices. They are going to Wal-Mart instead, which is fine with me, but I am curious what other Missouri cake decorators are charging. I am charging $2.50 per serving for Buttercream and $3.50 per serving for fondant. ......I charge $30 for 1/4 sheet (one layer) and $55 for 1/2 sheet (one layer). Once people have tasted my cakes, they don't hesitate to come back. It is just getting new people........Is anyone else having this problem?

2 replies
jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 3

I charge $5 over grocery store prices. People won't pay that much when they can get it somewhere for less...it's all about the $$$ unless they have already tasted your cakes!

I have to remind them that it is a custom/one of a kind cake and that I do not have the buying volume of a store...so I have to charge more.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:01am
post #3 of 3

I live in Wentzville, and I call a couple of local shops to see what they are charging. I don't charge for my cakes but if I did I would go a little less then them and if someone wasn't willing to pay it then I direct them to the two shops I called!
If Missouri allowed home bakeries I would charge $2 for regular (meaning two layer torted and simple deco) $3 for fondant and alot extra for fondant figures and extras! My farm animal cake and three tier flower and bug cakes would be $185 each because of the time it took to make all of the extras. I think I would do a base price for 1 layer sheet w/o filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%