How Do I Get The Cake To Stand Up Like This????????

Decorating By lane52403 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 11:27am by deliciously_decadent

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 13

I wanted to make this cake for a couple I know who just got engaged, but I have no idea how to get the cake to stand up and stay. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!!
LL

12 replies
lane52403 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone? This cake was one of Eight's btw.

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 13

It looks like a half round pan-- a cake baked in a half round (pound cake consistancy would easily stand up like this (I think) whereas a round cake cut in half just wouldn't make it.

Not an expert by any means and I could be totally wrong!

Smiles,

Val

What is "8's BTW?" icon_redface.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 13

Val is right a pound cake in a half round should be fine

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 13

For my eldest grandsons birthday I cut a 9" chocolate wasc in half. It stood up just fine with a dab of royal icing underneath to secure it.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 13

Or, if you want fillings, you could use small sheet cakes, stack, fill and carve them into that shape. That way, you have fillings.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 13

Yup Two rounds cut in half and standing up. Make sure to secure them together with picks though...

I use 4 inch bamboo skewers. I'd place them in a crisscross pattern about 4 of them, mid way up the cake.

Just be sure to let the customer know about them before they serve it though.

thumbs_up.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 13

No tips, but just wanted to say that cake is adorable!

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:49am
post #9 of 13

Cute cake.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:53am
post #10 of 13

My daughter and I did a few of these for mothers day, used the criss-cross method with the dowels and it stood just fine. It was just one round cut in half.

The idea came from mailbox news, we had so much fun doing these for all the grandmas!
LL

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:55am
post #11 of 13

I just did a purse cake with 8" rounds. Cut a section off the bottom and I iced the two bottoms and "stuck" them together. Crumb coated the cake standing on its end and covered it in fondant. It is still standing after 2 days (it's here at my house...a practice cake my family is eatingicon_biggrin.gif) I didn't use any support system.

lane52403 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:17am
post #12 of 13

Thank everyone so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:27am
post #13 of 13

i persally would section of a round tin with cardboard ( i do this all the time with my square tins to make rectangles) I use the bottom of a cereal box and cut of the front leaving the bottom sides and back then cut one end so that it fits length ways into the pan but has one full corner for stability then like with baking paper so it wont leak and hey presto -new shaped tin (I also use this method to bake several different flavoured small cakes for taste tests) hope this helped!! just thought it would save you needing to crisscross pin t as it would be in one piece that would easily hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%