Need To Find Glycerin

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:38am
post #1 of 10

I need to buy some Glycerin, and I have heard that you can buy it at a supermarket vs. Michaels for $3.00 for a tiny bottle. Where would they have it at the store, what area/department? I haven't seen it with the baking stuff, but I heard someone say with the baby stuff??? Does anyone know? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:50am
post #2 of 10

Sorry. I dont I can only buy it at my Michaels.
But if you have time use a coupon thats what I do !Why not ask at the service counter at your store ? Maybe around the canning supplies ?

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 10

You can buy glycerin at any pharmacy , Walgreen, or Walmart.
HTH

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

I need to buy some Glycerin, and I have heard that you can buy it at a supermarket vs. Michaels for $3.00 for a tiny bottle. Where would they have it at the store, what area/department? I haven't seen it with the baking stuff, but I heard someone say with the baby stuff??? Does anyone know? icon_confused.gif

I know at ACMoore (I'm assuming Michael's would be in the same place) has it next to the flavorings in the cake decorating aisle (the shape of the bottle is the same as the flavorings except it's clear). I am pretty sure that Whole Foods carries it, maybe Trader Joe's, but definitely a Health Food store.

Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Lightningale21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightningale21 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 10

I've heard that you can buy it in the "herbal supplements" type section at the grocery store. I know that some people take it in capsule form for their joints. I don't know if they'd have it in a bottle though. I've asked at a grocery store once, the guy looked at me like I was nuts, and then took me to the glycerin soap. He really didn't know what I was talking about. lol icon_rolleyes.gif I just get it at Michaels now.
Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 10

Has anyone tried the glycerin at the pharmacy? I read about it a long time ago but I have never tried.

Lightingale21 They have it at the pharmacy in large bottles. I have looked at it but wasn't sure if I should try it.

something_sweet Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

You can buy glycerin at any pharmacy , Walgreen, or Walmart.
HTH

Omicake, do you use this glycerin in your fondant or baking?

I think I might just pick some up at AC Moore today, because I need it today, but I will look at Walmart next time I am there.

Thanks for the help!!!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 10

I've used it in icings and fondant, if the recipe calls for it.
I've never used it in baking.
HTH

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 10

Hi,
I buy mine from Walmart, it is near the bandaids and things like that. I learned from an instructor in England when I lived there and he always bought his from the pharmacy.

something_sweet Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 10

awesome! Thank you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%