Will I Mess Up This Recipe By Using A Mix?

Decorating By CakeEscape Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm by HerBoudoir

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:52am
post #1 of 4

I used to make cakes alot, and now I dont so I really dont want to go out and buy flour, baking soda.. ect.. so here is the recipe as follows

2c sifted flour
1c unsweet cocoa
1.25 tsp b.s.
.75 tsp salt
.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 c light brown sugar
2.5 stick unsalted butter
3 lg eggs
1tbs vanilla
1.5c lukewarm water
1c chocolate chips

Do you think if I just used a mix and then added all the ingredients from the light brown sugar, down it would make a difference? I have read on here before about doctored cake mixes but I have never done that my self. Any advice?

3 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #2 of 4

I am sure you have heard this before, but baking is chemistry. The amounts of liquid and fats you need for the mix will be different than what is needed for this recipe. Why not try using a recipe specifically for doctoring cake mix? There are tons in the recipe section, I believe the cake doctor's darn good chocolate cake is similar to this with chocolate chips in it, the WASC with its variations is probably one of the most popular and is also very good. HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:57am
post #3 of 4

There is more in a box mix than just premeasured flour, cocoa, salt, and leavening. As the PP stated you can't just make changes without knowing what you are doing and expect a nice product. I would think you can get the ingredients you need in those quantities for less than $10. Or just use the mix you have as is.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 4

Cake mix already has sugar in it - if you add a ton of extra sugar (the cup of brown sugar) without adding more flour, etc, you're going to be way too sweet, and the cake isn't likely to come out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%