Nervous About Cake...pat On Me?

Lounge By JodieF Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:46am by Ohara

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 12

icon_surprised.gif I volunteered to make a 50th anniversary cake for a couple I love. Their daughter is throwing the party (she teaches in the room next door to me). It's by FAR the largest cake I've ever made, and 18 inch square, and 16, 12, 9 and 6 inch rounds with a double layer 11 x 15 side cake. It will be covered with 24 edible image photographs from their marriage. I'm making fondant frames for the photos. I'm also trimming it with fondant lace. I'm painting all the fondant gold. There will be red roses between a few of the tiers. I did buy SPS and I feel pretty good that it'll be stable.

I've been baking for days! Today I made lemon and raspberry curds for the white cakes and peanut butter mousse and fudge filling for the chocolate ones. All day Friday I'll be making SMBC and filling and crumb coating. Saturday I'll ice and decorate. The party is Sunday.

I don't know. I'm just feeling like I'm way over my head! My DH will be out of town until Monday and he's the one who makes me feel like I can do all this cake stuff.

I think I need a hug!!!! *wahhhhhhh* icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif *sniff*

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 12

It sounds like it's going to be incredible! It also sounds like you've got a good start on it.

You can do it!

((((HUGS))))

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 12

sounds amazing and sounds like you've got the schedule down GOOD LUCK I know it will be GREAT - be sure to post pics when you are done...

From one hugger to another (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

JodieF Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 12

Do you two Texas ladies wanna drive up and help???? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #5 of 12

Jodi,
You can do this. You are well organized, you have a great plan and your doing something wonderful for people you love. Sounds like a recipe for success.
Here's another ((((((HUG)))))...no such thing as too many hugs icon_wink.gif
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the final cake.

JodieF Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 12

icon_surprised.gif I just fixed myself a big old vodka and cranberry....Lori just called and she wants to use some other pictures! I'm supposed to meet her tomorrow and scan them. That woman has gone nuts! I'm cutting her off after that...NO MORE CHANGES TO THE CAKE! icon_lol.gif

JodieF Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 12

Got all the edible images printed today, picked up the great camera from work and then met Lori at Sams to help her get party stuff and pick up the roses for the cake. So, I'm waiting for a car to back out so I can park, turn signal on, when the truck next to me decides to back out right into me. The passenger side door is crushed in. It took an hour for the police to get there, another 45 minutes to finish the report. Then I help her shop and get home.
I didn't get to cake stuff until 3 this afternoon! icon_cry.gif Right now I have the 18 and 16 inch torted, filled and crumb coated. I still have to do the 12, 9, 6 and 11 x 15. I just realized I'm going to need more eggs for the SMBC to finish icing the cakes tomorrow.

*sigh* cr*p

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 12

You can do it. Just turn off your mind, stop thinking/worrying and do it. It's just work.

And don't forget to post pictures!

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 12

Put all the negative worry thoughts out of your head, think positive and positive things will happen. You can do it, you are organised and you've made plenty of cake before, this is the same. You'll be fine. ((((( icon_smile.gif )))))

JodieF Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 12

Thanks guys....I'll admit I'm doing a lot of worrying I probably shouldn't. This cake is SO big and has so much detail! Of course, getting my car hit today hasn't helped my mood! Of course, maybe I should look at it that it was my disaster for this cake, so it's all gonna be roses from here???? icon_rolleyes.gif

I do appreciate the words of encouragement and all the hugs! *hugs* back atcha all!

Jodie

JodieF Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 12

The cake was a hit.....*S* thanks for your words of encouragement. Please go have a look!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254183

Jodie

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #12 of 12

Congratulations Jodie.....the cake is lovely. I'm sure it was a real blessing for the anniversary couple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%