Serving The Wedding Cake

Decorating By klynne Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm by klynne

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

HELP! I'm fairly new to doing weddings and I need help. I've only done three wedding cakes so far for non family members and Im desperate. I end up being asked to stay to serve the cake and I have NO clue as to how this is suppose to be done. Yea,,,Im a blondie!!! I've learned how to cut the cakes but HOW do you keep from making such a mess on the table??? Ive been left by myself each time and I get soooooo nervous. Also the bride and groom (who are usually clueless too) are asking me what to do. Is this suppose to be my responsibility?? I dont mind helping serve the cake but I do need some advice. It really stresses me out when you have this huge line,,,usually with all the little kids up front,,,waiting on cake. Help, advise or point me in the right direction and I'll be forever grateful! Thanks!!!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

You need at least one helper for a larger cake. You cut and pass the serving onto a plate the second person adds garnish or whatever and passes it to the next person.

you can sometimes take the cake into the kitchen for cutting and serving.

I charge $25 an hour to stay and cut the cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 5

Here's a link to indydebi's web site on cutting and serving a wedding cake. HTH http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

First, if it is not first explicably stated that you will be staying to cut the cake, then when you delivery and they ask you to stay a simple "I'm sorry, but that's not in our contract and I have other deliveries to make. However, here is a step-by-step tutorial for whoever ends up cutting the cake." and had them this printout:http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html
But how JoannB said, you'll need at least one other person to help. Having that one person pass you the plate and remove stuff as you go along makes the whole thing go a lot smoother!

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks sooo much,,,the "dreaded" circle cut I had down but the method on that site sure looks easier,,,I knew I could find help here.....lol,,,now I just have to find someone to help me at my next wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%