Wedding Cake Questions

Business By mom42ws Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm by mom42ws

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 14

hi. i have a bride who wants a cake that is similar to this cake (see attachment) and wants to be sure that each guest gets a daisy. their cake will be an 8-10-12. should i just make extra daisies and have the caterer put one on each plate that goes out? how much would you charge for these daisies if made from RI?

also, how does the whole freezing of the anniversary cake work? do they just take off the top tier of the cake and save it and cut into the next tier? my couple wants to freeze a cake and i'm thinking that i will add the 6" anniversary cake to the top of the 8-10-12 and it will just be taken off and they will cut (for the cake cutting ceremony) into the 8"?? i don't know how this works. this will be my first wedding cake.

ashley
LL

13 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Ashley. I'm new to tall this too, but my first question to the bride would be WHY does she want everyone to get a daisy? People don't eat them (kids do and I'm not sure they should always considered people icon_wink.gif sometimes they are either angels or hellions and can switch from one to the other in a millisecond!) Anyway.....is she just thinking it would be nice or she just thinks most people want a flower. There is no way that cake could be cute with a flower for everyone...so I would think that it would be easist to make extra and have the put the flower on the plate, etc.
And as for the top tier. Yes they usually take that off and then cut the other layers of cakes for their guests.
As for the freezing of the top tier this is what I found: Remove the cake topper and any other big decorations from the top tier of the wedding cake. Smaller decorations, especially if made from icing, can be left on.
If the cake is placed on a cardboard bottom, which is not wrapped in foil, you need to transfer the cake onto a foil covered cardboard or onto a plastic plate. This will prevent your cake from getting any kind of cardboard smell or taste in it.
Freeze the cake in the freezer for an hour. This will make the icing hard so that it will not stick to the paper when wrapped.
Remove the cake from the freezer after an hour and start wrapping it. Use cling wrap (plastic wrap) and ensure that the cake is thoroughly covered from top to bottom and all the sides. The wrapping should be absolutely airtight.
Once you have wrapped the wedding cake with cling wrap, you now need to double wrap it with aluminium foil paper. Adequate wrapping will ensure that there is no taste of freezer burn in the cake.
Place the entire wrapped cake into a container that can be placed in the freezer.
Leave the container and the cake to freeze for the next one year.

When you do the cake most do not count the number of servings in the top tier b/c that's the one to save.

But to save all that hastle I would suggest having the bride come to you for their first anniversary to get another cake....so it will be FRESH. And maybe offer a discount if they come to you for their anniversary cake.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 14

Daisies in RI take me a long time to do, so I would have to charge accordingly.
I used to tell brides to eat the top tier on their honeymoon, since they'll miss out on all but a bite of cake at the reception. Then they would be provided with a small anniversary tier on their first anniversary. They would have to take the daisies off to freeze it anyway, so a plain, simply decorated cake will do.
Ask them if they'd freeze a chicken breast or filet or dinner rolls from their wedding and eat it a year later. ;o)

mom42ws Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 14

they specifically requested that the flowers be edible so that's why i thought RI. fondant would be better, huh?

i don't really see the need to have a flower for each guest but for whatever reason that is important to them. maybe they can pluck the flowers off the top tier and the rest of the cake to put on each plate? what do you think of that? and make them of fondant with a cutter? they want white flowers on a white cake with chocolate centers.

deeb173 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 14

RI would taste better. And maybe to save some time on the centers get those Hersey chocolate chips (they look like mini kisses) and put those in the center. But I would charge her for making all those flowers. But I think if they cut and eat the top tier it would be tacky to pull the flower off and stick them on someone else's slice of cake. I think extras would be better.

I like frostinggal's advise...who would eat a year old frosen chicken breast or roll....make her an anniversay cake a year from now.

mom42ws Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb173

RI would taste better. And maybe to save some time on the centers get those Hersey chocolate chips (they look like mini kisses) and put those in the center. But I would charge her for making all those flowers. But I think if they cut and eat the top tier it would be tacky to pull the flower off and stick them on someone else's slice of cake. I think extras would be better.

I like frostinggal's advise...who would eat a year old frosen chicken breast or roll....make her an anniversay cake a year from now.

i didn't think about it being tacky. i did offer to make them a fresh one but they wanted to stick to the old tradition of freezing. any idea about how to price out the flowers??

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 14

no idea about the pricing of the flowers but...

they do sell boxes online and at wedding shops that are specifically made for the cake top.

deeb173 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 14

Well if they are RI flowers then they aren't that expensive to make just a little time consuming but you already have to make quite a few to put on the sides. I would probably charge about 25-30 cents a piece for the extra ones.

deeb173 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 14

Well if they are RI flowers then they aren't that expensive to make just a little time consuming but you already have to make quite a few to put on the sides. I would probably charge about 25-30 cents a piece for the extra ones...they look fairly small.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 14

Here's a link to a site that sells them to get an idea on pricing http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/subcategories.main/parentcat/3467/subcatid/56341

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 14

A tasty solution to the daisies would be to mold them out of white chocolate melts. They are not really that expensive for a bag, and molding a bunch at once would be less time consuming that making them from RI, fondant or any other medium. Plus, most of them would get eaten. Charge her accordingly, though.
I would offer her a free 6" cake for their anniversary. But if they absolutely HAVE to have it there and freeze it for next year, then deeb173's instructions are spot on. That cake is usually not calculated as part of the servings. Some bakers charge for it, others don't. icon_smile.gif

mom42ws Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 14

you guys all rock for helping with this information. the 6" anniversary cake is complimentary. i didn't know, however, that it was going to be fully covered in flowers or that i was going to have to make extra for each guest to have one. i will charge them the $.25/each for the extra ones to go on each guests' plate.

susancann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susancann Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 14

Hi MOM, Our 1 st. post here.We are new to the business end of this but we try to convince bride to include top layer in the # of servings, and provide a free 6" cake to the couple on 1 st. anniversary.This allows us to keep in contact with a customer so we may be refered to others or new baby, etc..Have found it's easeier to keep a customer than to advertise to find new customers

mom42ws Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 14

susan, i did try to convince her of that and just do the 8-10-12 but they really want the 6 there to take off and freeze. i think it has been a tradition in the family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%