Jalapeno Burn!!

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm by mixinvixen

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:14am
post #1 of 9

Help !!!!!!
My hands are on fire. I was cutting them for making jelly and forgot to wear gloves. I know, stupid. I'm paying for my mistake now. Does anyone, please, have any suggestions to ease the pain. I've tried milk, lemon juice and rubbing alcohol. NOthing. No lasting relief. If anyone has had this problem or have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Stephanie

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:26am
post #2 of 9

I've heard that washing the area with soap and water and then dabbing on either olive oil or rubbing alcohol helps to remove that burning sensation. icon_sad.gif

Someone once told me that you can rub white sugar onto the area and then wash it with soap & water, but I don't know if that's true? icon_confused.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 9

I wish I had something to help, because I know how painful it is. When I made the same mistake, I had to keep my hands in cold water continuously--I even had to go to sleep that way. Luckily, by bedtime, one hand had stopped burning, so I only had to keep one hand dangling over the edge of the bed, into a bucket of cold water.

Maybe aloe vera would help? It works for sunburn. On a similar note, how about Solarcaine?

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:52am
post #4 of 9

Have you tried vinegar?

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 9

I have heard that it helps to rinse your hands with milk or cream. Also butter might work. The theory is that the capcaisin bonds w/ the fat and is removed. I haven't tried it but I know drinking milk helps when you eat a really hot pepper so it might be worth a try?

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys so much for the help. I was in terrible pain. The only thing that helped was milk. It really helped. After several soaks and hand washes with Dawn it finally went away.

Stephanie

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 9

I've done it too. The worst is under the fingernail. YeeeOUCH!

Milk is the only thing that I've found works. I now wear gloves and/or seed my peppers with a spoon. Who'd of thunk a stupid jalapeno could burn you that badly? A habanaro, maybe... but a jalapeno?

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 9

Glad you found something that worked! I scratched my neck after cutting up a scotch bonnet (of course it had to be one of those icon_rolleyes.gif ) but not before washing my hands...about 10 minutes later, my neck and hands were on FIRE. Tried cold water, ice packs, nothing worked and there was no milk in the house, had to just wait it out and cry like a little wuss icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 9

saw that on a tv show the other day...milk is the only thing that worked on cutting the fire in your mouth, because apparently the capsaisan molecules are not as dense or big as the milk molecules, so basically teh milk knocks the burn off your tongue...i imagine the same would be said for all the other cells in your body.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%