What's Your Favorite New Cake Toy?

Decorating By bambuf Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm by bambuf

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 15

My husband bought this cool pizza/pastry cutter for me recently, and I LOVE it! It makes cutting even strips of fondant SOOOO easy! Just thought I would share it with those of you who may not have seen one of these bad boys yet. What is YOUR favorite new cake toy?
LL

14 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 15

where did you find that?

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 15

My NEW fondant mat *** I just tried a new idea: a fabric store cutting board for quilting, along with the rotary cutter.
W O W. Too incredible! Fiskars 24" x 36" (non folding, so completely smooth) is large enough for any of my home cake needs and the rotary cutter - omg what a dif from my fondant tools or even pizza cutter - cuts were razor accurate and no fuzzies left behind. Grids mark the entire sheet so you know *exactly* how large your piece is.I thoroughly washed, then bleach wiped it first. It is not flexible like the mats you're considering, but I like that, actually. I figure I can roll up the large pieces on my long rolling pin anyway, and I like that it's so stable. I placed two sticky shelf liner things under it to keep it from sliding on my table.

It did a great job - I'm so pleased!
I swear, one of my passions is finding unusual things for different purposes - I'm a re-purposing queen LOL

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 15

I'm with you lizamlin .. in fact, I just bought a second one to use strictly for rolling out fondant. My first one has a few blemishes from cutting on it. I have found that I can use so much less powdered sugar/cornstarch when rolling fondant out than when I roll it out on anything else. I love the grids for cutting strips.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 15

My airbrush!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #6 of 15

My pasta roller that fits on my Kitchen Aid!!

bambuf Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 15

roxxxy... My husband found mine at a local Kitchen Supply...

rcs... The pasta roller is my next big investment! icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 15

What can I say? They're ALL new to me! I just bought a 21" Craftsman toolbox to put it all in--I've got two embroidery tracing wheels (smooth and serrated) and an Xacto knife, clear ruler, and scary bottle of Everclear in there. Among other things.

I keep thinking about getting a set of plastic clay-sculpting tools; they're cheaper than the fondant/gumpaste tools and are fairly similar. Plus plastic is easy to clean.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 15

I got a clay extruder. It took me a while to really like it but I have used it for so many different things now. May have to invest in a larger one.....lol...

I too have a Craftsman tool box for all my fondant tools and gadgets and another for all my bags, color, tips and other stuff for bc icing.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs

My pasta roller that fits on my Kitchen Aid!!

ohhhhh...i want one!

did ya get it off the internet?

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #11 of 15

Mine is the Floral Garland Cutter/Ejector Set by Wilton...luuuvvv it!!!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:04am
post #12 of 15

Littlecake, I got my pasta roller at Bed, Bath and Beyond. My sister had a 20 or 30% off coupon which made it cheaper than any I had found on the internet. My sister said that they have the coupons in their flyers frequently. (We don't have a Bed, Bath and Beyond where I live. I purchased mine in Omaha, Neb. while visiting her). I REALLY like it!!!!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #13 of 15

!!! So many cool ideas !! I also have a large toolbox (Wilton don't have nuthin on us lol, clear quilters ruler, etc...

Does anyone have experience w Kitchenaid grinder/pasta maker? Not the roller, but for thin/thick pasta? I'm thinking *perfect* tubes of fondant for detailing/braids??? Anyone?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K116245.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Cooking%20&cm_pla=Kitchen%20Electrics&cm_ite=K116245

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 15

My fav new 'toy' is a lift we put in for the mixer. It gives me back counterspace on the kitchen island and I never have to pick that thing up again!

bambuf Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 15

snowshoe1,

Now that IS a cool toy! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%