I Will Make Your Wedding Cake For Free!!!!

Business By Jasmine33 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:28am by stephanie214

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakehelp

Ilovewedding wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is a cakecentral gestapo. When they come out, nothing good happens.

Come on! Sometimes people need to be told that what their doing is WRONG. I see no posts in this thread that actually bashes her for doing it for free, the opposite in fact. BUT, taking photos off the web and posting them on your site IS NOT LEGAL. It doesn't matter that she has a disclamer.

Since October 31, 1988, works no longer need a copyright notice to have copyright protection. This means any image you find on a web page may be copyrighted. The traditional notice, such as "Copyright 1989 XZV Co." or " ©1989 XZV Co." is no longer required. The Copyright act gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to reproduce or modify their work, and to exclude others from doing so. Copying includes copying or saving their image to your hard drive, or copying to other mediums, like scanning a photo from a book and turning it into a JPEG file.
If you take a copyrighted image without permission, and put it on a web page, you are violating the exclusive right of the copyright owner to display his work. (See 17 U.S.C.A. § 106).

In order to put an image on your site you NEED TO HAVE THE PERMISSION of the owner.

I just get so tired of this kind of abuse of photos. Really, mabye the owner of the photo don't want to be on her site. They should not have to ask her to take it down. It should just not be on there!!!

It works both ways.
Its getting really old and tired with some people on here getting all huffy when it come to their photos that they freely post on the internet for all to see and quoting copyright laws when someone else decides to use them to attract buisness. But why is it any different than you (cakehelp) using copyrighted images on the majority of the cakes in your photo gallery.
I do believe that Winnie, CARS, Batman, Hello Kitty, etc. are copywrite protected and truly doubt that you got permission from each company to use the images on your cakes.

My whole point is that I truly doubt that any one person who makes cakes for hobby or business has never gotten ideas or shown a client, friend or family member a cake from the internet, a magazine, newspaper, television or anywhere else, to help get ideas or designs.
So she posted pictures of cakes she admired and wanted to have a reason to do one day. OMG, lets shoot her. She can still print the photos and show them to people.
I print pictures off the internet and tear out pages from magazine all the time and keep them for inspiration for new things to try and ideas.
Why do you think people put photos in their favorites? Duh! Things they admire or would like to try at some point.

She stated that some were cakes she had done (reproduced), and that others were some that she wanted to do (admired and would like to attempt). And wheter she does them for free or not is no ones business. So I truly and honestly, don't get what the problem is.
No one, no one is getting hurt by what she's doing.

Yes, you are absolutely right!! You got me there icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif
I guess I spoke a little hasty without thinking clearly... I too know that copying the characters you mention are illegal. Sorry, it just gets to me when it is done to "regular people". Yes, I know it is just as bad to "steal" from Disney as it is from "Susy Mae in Smalltown US" but it feels worse. I think I would be offended if any of my pictures were to be seen on a site like that when there is no credit what so ever to who made the cake to begin with. At least, everyone knows who came up with McQueen icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, so I threw a stone in my own glass house and I apologize. I will try not to do so again...

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:05pm
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I don't mean to be a stone-caster, but there is also an issue of protecting customers. Let's say you need a wedding cake and you see these gorgeous pictures. So you order one, and then when you get your cake, it looks very amateurish and looks NOTHING like like your expectation.

I went and looked at her site agin. It says clearly on the top of her index (first) page:

"I am an amateur cake decorator serving
Las Vegas/Henderson Nevada"

From endymoin: "So you order one, and then when you get your cake it looks very amateurish and looks NOTHING like like your expectation."

She even uses the word "amateur"! She also has up pictures of cakes she did herself.

Why do people feel the need to bring things like this into the forum. They know damn good an well it is stirring up nothing good. The things said in these types of threads are said with malice. I seriously doubt any one who has put up others pictures did it with malice. She is not the first to use others pics, she won't be the last.

PS>
Cakehelp: I couldn't help but notice you only quoted what mcelromi1
wrote when it was actually me that brought to light the patent infrigement you and sooooo many others commit.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #63 of 92

Yep I can see them now too - she must have been working on the page when I tried to see it previously.

Ok all this free stuff has got me thinking...I need to confess/admit one of my "tricks of the trade:" I will do free cakes (of my own choosing) ONLY to go to a Bridal shop (or convention/trade show) to show them my work. On the day I deliver it, they (shop owners/employees) eat it and the customers eat it. If you are lucky you can coordinate it with a big dress sale they might be having. I will stay for a little while Of course my business cards are left behind in my absence. Believe me it gets your name out there and...and it gets you instant business / referrals!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

I do believe that Winnie, CARS, Batman, Hello Kitty, etc. are copywrite protected and truly doubt that you got permission from each company to use the images on your cakes.

My whole point is that I truly doubt that any one person who makes cakes for hobby or business has never gotten ideas or shown a client, friend or family member a cake from the internet, a magazine, newspaper, television or anywhere else, to help get ideas or designs.
So she posted pictures of cakes she admired and wanted to have a reason to do one day. OMG, lets shoot her. She can still print the photos and show them to people.

As much as people don't want to hear it, this needed to be said.

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

PS>
Cakehelp: I couldn't help but notice you only quoted what mcelromi1
wrote when it was actually me that brought to light the patent infrigement you and sooooo many others commit.

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out of the quoting icon_smile.gif I just took the last entry since you both talked about the same thing. I heard you both, loud and clear! I'm kind of new on this forum, but I will try to get the quoting right next time.

I would also like to say that I would get offended if someone stole one of my pictures and put them up on any kind of site.

I will NOT get offended if people save it on their hard drive or use it for inspiration. I will also NOT get offended, but probably very flattered, if someone were to copy one of my cakes down to the last detail. That way they made the cake and can do whatever they want with the picture of their own cake. There are actually a lot of great cakes here on CC that I would love to copy myself.

I think there is a big difference in copying or using someones cake for inspiration and just take their pictures and use them on the web... Don't you all???

Iloveweddings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #66 of 92

Hopefully this will be my last post. icon_smile.gif

I see it this way, if you put your cake out on the world wide web you have made it public. No, you do not expect someone to use it; but you have opened yourself up to it happening.

Example: I left my car windows open because it was so darn hot. On the passenger seat was my friends pack of cigarettes. Someone stole them. Now just because I left my car windows down does not mean the cigarettes were fair game for anyone that wanted them.

If you do not want your pics used, don't put them out there. Don't leave your car windows open. icon_razz.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #67 of 92

cakehelp

Quote:
Quote:

I think there is a big difference in copying or using someones cake for inspiration and just take their pictures and use them on the web... Don't you all???

I think there is a difference and I do think she should have permission from the people who's pictures she is using.

I read on another site recently that there was something similiar, not sure who, but the person showed up to get her cake and it looked nothing like what she had seen in the picture. That is sad. She did some research and found out who had really done the cake in that picture.

I am not saying that is the case with this website. She says she has the skill level so I am sure she does.

Her cakes she has in her done pile are very nice and I think she should start charging accordingly but that is her choice. She shouldn't sell herself so short.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:50pm
post #68 of 92

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this particular person's site. She clearly states which ones are her's and which ones are not. It's like having a stack of magazines or a binder of photo's that GY (general you) printed out and keep in your office to show prospective customers ideas and inspriation. Did you get the magazines or decorator's written consent to print out the photos and keep in a binder to show your potential customers? I highly doubt it. There really is no difference. The only difference is you keep your magazines, books and/or binders of photo's that you show clients in the privacy of your own office, not on a website like she does.

I would be flattered if she took one of my cakes and used it on her site as one of the cakes she would like to do, but hasn't had a chance to make yet. I wouldn't care if she credited me or not for the photo and I wouldn't care that she didn't ask me either.

If she is claiming that your photo is her own work, then that is a totally different scenario. However, from what I can tell, she is not doing that on her site.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Yeah it really seems so to me. Her opening paragraph I thought she came in here defending herself.

Funny how she says she is new here yet has a joined date of 3 years! I think she has been lurking here and stealing pictures.

Or maybe not.

icon_lol.gif

I don't know why I am ever shocked by rude comments like this posted here... but yet, I am.

Something must be wrong with me, eh? icon_confused.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #70 of 92

I just want to add my $.02 and hope it doesn't offend too many. but here goes:
I have spent a lot, and I mean a LOT of money to become legal....so it burns my butt to see a non-legal person advertise there cake services! If you want to advertise, dig down deep in your pockets, like I had to, and get legal...then advertise all you want.
I am assuming this person is not legal, because if a person spent all the money it takes to become legal...they don't advertise to do cakes for free, or for cost of supplies.
not jumping just on the owner of this site, its all sites that illegally advertise. I own a business, and it takes a lot, yes a LOT of money for overhead every month and if Susie homemaker advertises she'll do cakes and undercuts me....she's taking money away from my electric bill...and my kids mouths.

thank you.

melody

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #71 of 92

Very valid point, Melody!

melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #72 of 92

thank you sugeredup, I thought I'd get flogged for sure.
....and probably still will, but thank you.

melody

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #73 of 92

Um....I agree that if she has a gallery of pictures of her own work, and a separate gallery that is not her own work, that's alright, though I do think she should credit each of the not-hers cakes underneath. A simple "photo from cakesbyx" would probably make everybody happy, without being obtrusive.

The problem is, when I look at the gallery that is entitled, "These cakes I have done and can easily do" I see such a disparity in photographic style that I can't bring myself to believe that they are all hers. Some of them are photoshopped and some of them aren't, some of them are nicely framed and others are poorly framed, the angles are inconsistent....a lot of this leads me to believe that maybe she is not the person who took those pictures and made those cakes. So my immediate question is, if she has made these cakes, why is she not using her own photos of these cakes? The answers that ocurr immediately to that question are not positive ones and range from "she's tried to do cakes like these but failed miserably" to "I'll send her the money for the ingredients and then never hear from her again."

That may be unfair to this woman, but if she's really passionate about this as a hobby, and is trying to break into the field as a professional, then she needs to take a class at a local art college on portfolio management, because she's presenting herself quite poorly by using other people's photos.

Iloveweddings Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:14pm
post #74 of 92

melodyscakes-Not all may agree with me on this but it is only worth getting a licenced home kitchen if you want to go into business. You go into business to make money. In this case of free wedding cakes, she is doing it as a hobby, not a business. She only charges cost, it is non-profit. Not everyone makes cakes as a business. For all we know, maybe she makes her cakes in a licenced kitchen. I know my husbands aunt used her churches kitchen when she had her catering business. A question, do you have a licence to do Spiderman, Thomas the Tank, Cookie Monster and Sponge Bob from the company that owns those patants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

The problem is, when I look at the gallery that is entitled, "These cakes I have done and can easily do" I see such a disparity in photographic style that I can't bring myself to believe that they are all hers. Some of them are photoshopped and some of them aren't, some of them are nicely framed and others are poorly framed, the angles are inconsistent....a lot of this leads me to believe that maybe she is not the person who took those pictures and made those cakes. So my immediate question is, if she has made these cakes, why is she not using her own photos of these cakes? The answers that ocurr immediately to that question are not positive ones and range from "she's tried to do cakes like these but failed miserably" to "I'll send her the money for the ingredients and then never hear from her again."

OMG. If this person was not delivering cakes to those who paid she would be long gone. She wouldn't be able to carry on the sham this long! She has been around for sometime. Saying she takes money and doesn't deliver is sooo wrong. That is slander. Jumping to such conclusions is dangerous.
So all the pictures a person takes of their cakes are all taken at the same angle and lighting? Maybe the brides photographer took some of the pictures. Maybe she takes some pictures and her husband or boyfriend takes some. Maybe a friend takes pictures. Maybe she takes pictures at the site and some at home. Maybe pictures are taken at different sites in her home. I know I don't take pics of my cakes in the exact same places everytime. So what you said is just silly.
Jumping on sites that does something that you don't like is bad. There was another one here not long ago. It think it was cakes by Betty? Anyway, everyone just needs to mind their own. None of them are taking money from you and even if they did, we live in America. They have a right to make cakes just like you. There are enough brides to go around for pete's sake!

myohmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myohmy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #75 of 92

Hello. This is freeweddingcakes.com.

varika: Indeed, my cake pictures are from many angles. When I take pictures of all my cakes I take them from many angles. Whatever is the best picture I put up on my website. Sometimes I leave them as they are or put a frame around them. Sometimes I keep backrounds as they are. If I do not like what is seen in the backround I use photoshop to change that. Oh, and, others do help me with pictures. My best friend that goes with me to help deliver cakes takes many of the pictures. Some come from the brides themselves.

None of the cakes I have made have I failed miserably at. Granted, some don't turn out to the perfection I seek, but nothing miserable yet...knock on wood.

I certainly do not take anyone's money and not give them a cake. What you said there was really awful, but was said in the first forum about me about a year ago. It wasn't very nice to say then or now. Especially now since it has been well over a year and I am still around.

I just make cakes for fun. I do the wedding cakes for experience. It isn't a business. Truthfully, I loose money. I do all these extras that the brides didn't pay for. I just enjoy doing new flowers or filling flavors etc and am not paid cost for them. I paid for it out of my money. It was my joy.

michellenj-"Maybe she works at a grocery store and steals her supplies?"

No. I do not work at a grocery store and I do not steal my supplies. That was not a nice thing to say.

Jasmine33-"Maybe someone needs to buy cakes from her and resell them at a profit!"

I don't find that funny at all.

Bye.

melodyscakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #76 of 92

Iloveweddings,
I did those cakes years ago for MY KIDS when I was first learning to decorate...as you can tell.
I haven't uploaded any pictures lately because I don't like to mess with the camera and uploading, so I haven't posted any pictures in a long time.

get your cake out of a wad.

melody

varika Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:50pm
post #77 of 92
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

OMG. If this person was not delivering cakes to those who paid she would be long gone. She wouldn't be able to carry on the sham this long! She has been around for sometime. Saying she takes money and doesn't deliver is sooo wrong. That is slander. Jumping to such conclusions is dangerous.
So all the pictures a person takes of their cakes are all taken at the same angle and lighting? Maybe the brides photographer took some of the pictures. Maybe she takes some pictures and her husband or boyfriend takes some. Maybe a friend takes pictures. Maybe she takes pictures at the site and some at home. Maybe pictures are taken at different sites in her home. I know I don't take pics of my cakes in the exact same places everytime. So what you said is just silly.
Jumping on sites that does something that you don't like is bad. There was another one here not long ago. It think it was cakes by Betty? Anyway, everyone just needs to mind their own. None of them are taking money from you and even if they did, we live in America. They have a right to make cakes just like you. There are enough brides to go around for pete's sake!

No, it is not slander. I specifically stated that these are questions that would ocurr to me--DID ocurr to me the first time I saw the sight--and that it might be unfair. I'm sorry if you feel it is someho wrong to try to inform someone that they might have an image problem and why.

I have no problem with someone making cakes for free. I don't even have a problem with someone having a website advertising it. But for Pete's sake, she's got an image problem, and if nobody ever tries to tell her what's causing it, SHE CAN'T EVER FIX IT.

Yes, if you're going to maintain a portfolio, you need SOME consistency of style in the photos. Do they all have to be from the same angle and the same lighting and the same position? No. But you DEFINITELY should not be photoshopping backgrounds into some and not others! That just makes it look like the pictures have been taken from other sites, whether they have been or not.

A simple text line of "photo taken by bride, photo taken by DH, photo taken by me" under each photo just by itself would go a long, long, LONG way toward rectifying the impression that they're stolen photos. (Note that word IMPRESSION, please. Ie, that which is perceived, not that which is truth.)

You don't have to like my opinion on this, but I am free to set it forth, and I personally think that if people get over being offended and start looking at what I've ACTUALLY SAID, they might find that there's a lot of GOOD ADVICE in it.

Jasmine33 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #78 of 92

Varika & melodyscakes:

I hear what you are saying loud and clear.

myohmy

Quote:
Quote:

Jasmine33-"Maybe someone needs to buy cakes from her and resell them at a profit!"

Bye.

You pmed me that days ago and this was how I responded to you then.

Quote:
Quote:

Hello,

I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't realize there was such a huge controversy concerning this. I came across your website and was very shocked. The cakes you say you did are very nice and professional. I am surprised you sell them so cheap. When I said someone should buy them from you and make a profit I said it as a joke.

Seriously, you need to start charging what you are worth.

The thread hasn't been posted to in 2 days. Maybe soon it will be on page 2.

Best of luck to you in your endeavours.

~Jasmine

You know what? I have also been wondering if they are all your "cakes". But I haven't said anything. I seen more post and I have kept my mouth shut. I have kept what I have thought to myself. I am trying to not encourage it.

But you seen fit to send me a snotty pm this morning. I was in the middle of pming you back when I thought, before I hit "send", I should see what else is being said. I still wasn't planning on posting, just pming. But YOU brought my name up. SO here I am.

You mentioned yet again that comment from above after I already pmed you so why should I bother pming you at all if you want to talk with me out in the open?

In the beginning I made an innocent thread, completely surprised that someone would do such a thing. I did not know that it was a problem. I did not realize that there was a huge issue with whether these cakes were yours or not.

If you don't like what people have to say, then don't read it.

If you don't like that people are accusing you of "stealing cake pics", then take down everything not yours.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. Whether they are right or wrong.

You are entitled to run your cake buisiness the way you want but you have to know that not everyone will agree with it.

If you don't like people commenting about your site, then take it down.

Don't come bitching at me because I made a simple observation. I'm not the one with questionable pics on my site, I am not the one selling cakes for dirt cheap.

You are.

I understand you being upset and pming me once. Sending me a snotty pm a second time is really pushing it.

If you don't like what people say then ignore them or change your website. That is up to you to decide.

melodyscakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #79 of 92

well said.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #80 of 92
Quote:

Varika & melodyscakes:

I hear what you are saying loud and clear.

myohmy

Quote:
Quote:

Bye.

Quote:
Quote:

Hello,

I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't realize there was such a huge controversy concerning this. I came across your website and was very shocked. The cakes you say you did are very nice and professional. I am surprised you sell them so cheap. When I said someone should buy them from you and make a profit I said it as a joke.

~Jasmine

You know what? I have also been wondering if they are all your "cakes". But I haven't said anything. I seen more post and I have kept my mouth shut. I have kept what I have thought to myself. I am trying to not encourage it.

But you seen fit to send me a snotty pm this morning. I was in the middle of pming you back when I thought, before I hit "send", I should see what else is being said. I still wasn't planning on posting, just pming. But YOU brought my name up. SO here I am.

You mentioned yet again that comment from above after I already pmed you so why should I bother pming you at all if you want to talk with me out in the open?

In the beginning I made an innocent thread, completely surprised that someone would do such a thing. I did not know that it was a problem. I did not realize that there was a huge issue with whether these cakes were yours or not.

If you don't like what people have to say, then don't read it.

If you don't like that people are accusing you of "stealing cake pics", then take down everything not yours.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. Whether they are right or wrong.

You are entitled to run your cake buisiness the way you want but you have to know that not everyone will agree with it.

If you don't like people commenting about your site, then take it down.

Don't come bitching at me because I made a simple observation. I'm not the one with questionable pics on my site, I am not the one selling cakes for dirt cheap.

You are.

I understand you being upset and pming me once. Sending me a snotty pm a second time is really pushing it.

If you don't like what people say then ignore them or change your website. That is up to you to decide.

Perhaps you should worry less about what she is doing, and worry more about how you are presenting yourself.

Just a thought...

Jasmine33 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #81 of 92

Polekitten,

I don't worry about what she is doing. I am simply surprised.

No, I didn't know there was some huge controversy going on or I wouldn't of said anything. I wasn't going to post again but my name got brought up.

Jasmine33 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:30pm
post #82 of 92

Oh and Melodycakes, I just looked at your wedding cakes and they are gorgeous!

icon_biggrin.gif

melodyscakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #83 of 92

thanks Jasmine!

can you see me smiling all kinds of big?

melody

Iloveweddings Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #84 of 92

Okay everyone, this is turning ugly. It should probably be locked. More than likely the lady who does the free wedding cakes is upset. She has been the topic of many threads. I can't blame her for being upset about it being rehashed again. That first thread on CC about her was punishment enough. She keeps getting brought up again and again and it isn't with love. Just leave her alone.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #85 of 92

I agree...lets move on

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #86 of 92

I am starting to think there needs to be 2 seperate cake central's...one for people like me who enjoy cake decorating and do it for fun and as a hobby, and one for people who do it as a business. it is not fun to come on this site anymore and read these kinds of posts. it is actually quite disturbing that people are bashing this poor girl. why is it anyones business if she enjoys cake decorating so much and wants to continue doing it, by doing it the way that makes her happy. She obviously does not need the money and just likes what she does. I wish more of us could do that. She is doing a genuinely nice thing for people who otherwise would not be able to have something so nice. The original poster started this thread to point out her website and that she was doing it for free, It did not begin as a thread to bash her about photos. Why does a potentially decent thread have to turn so ugly????

Iloveweddings Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy11

it is actually quite disturbing that people are bashing this poor girl. why is it anyones business if she enjoys cake decorating so much and wants to continue doing it, by doing it the way that makes her happy. She obviously does not need the money and just likes what she does. I wish more of us could do that. She is doing a genuinely nice thing for people who otherwise would not be able to have something so nice. The original poster started this thread to point out her website and that she was doing it for free, It did not begin as a thread to bash her about photos. Why does a potentially decent thread have to turn so ugly????

What you just said made me think, "are these people just jealous?"

Another thought or more like realization came to me, is that all the people getting upset over the photo's had none of their own photo's up on her site!! They are acting nasty when they have not even been done wrong! icon_confused.gif

varika Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #88 of 92
Quote:

What you just said made me think, "are these people just jealous?"

Another thought or more like realization came to me, is that all the people getting upset over the photo's had none of their own photo's up on her site!! They are acting nasty when they have not even been done wrong! icon_confused.gif

Wow, way to COMPLETELY miss the point of a post!

I, personally, was trying to be HELPFUL in my post. I said what I saw about the site, and gave more than one tip on how to fix the image problem this woman has.

And in return, I have been smacked around both publically and in private messages. And now I'm being told that my reaction is mere jealousy.

Thanks.

Next time I won't give my advice out for free; I'll demand money up front for it.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #89 of 92
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Bye.

Quote:
Quote:

Hello,

~Jasmine

She's right... getting cakes from her and reselling them is not funny... it's smart. Maybe I will open up a Vegas branch and get that ball rolling. icon_wink.gif People mark our stuff up all of the time (reception sites, etc).. heck if someone is willing to pay $7.00 per serving for our cake and I am only charging $4.50... more power to the person who sells it for $7! icon_biggrin.gif

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #90 of 92

I haven't read any posts in eons because of this type of behaviour. I used to be on this site several times every day but stopped because I came to the realization that I was getting way too worked up over, of all things, a cake decorating website! What gives anyway? We are all entitled to our opinions - you'll certainly see me agreeing with that one every single time - but whatever happened to common decency? Seems to be very uncommon these days. What is it about going onto a website and totally crapping all over another member that makes some people feel good? Expressing surprise that someone does cakes for free is one thing. Being mean to her and accusing her of stealing is another. Seems to me that she has every reason to be snotty and snippy considering the personal attacks she's had to fend off before.

Jasmine33, a lot of your comments sounded snotty and snippy, which you accuse myohmy of being. I know written word is perceived differently than the spoken word, but I seriously don't know how what you said could be taken differently even with a nice tone of voice. Maybe I just misunderstood your points, but I don't think so. Are you telling us that if you didn't like what someone said about you, you'd just 'not read it'? That's easier said than done. People tend to have this thing called a defense mechanism. You certainly seem to from all your responses in this particular forum.

I, like many other members here, just stopped reading any forums because of this type of thing. I honestly don't know what drew me into this one. Maybe boredom on a Tuesday night? It's like being in high school all over again and worrying about what the five 'popular' girls think about you. Even though they're only popular in their own minds. Anyway. I wouldn't have posted my opinion at all except for the fact that I wholeheartedly support marcy11's idea that there should be two separate cake centrals. Although, I think one should be just for the members who wish to say something nasty about anyone else. The rest of us should just be able to use this site in peace without worrying about being called on the carpet about something that is no one else's business and worrying about what the pop's are going to say about us.

Whether you agree or disagree with freeweddingcakes.com lady or not, whether you are pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised by the fact she does free cakes, she has every right to do them for free. And technically, they're not free. The bride is paying for the ingredients right? So they're at cost. In any case, I will sleep just fine tonight no matter how much myohmy charges or doesn't charge.

For those of you worried about infringement, watermark your photos before you upload them. I think most types of photo software have some way to do this. That way, any picture used by someone else has your mark on it.

Melody: it was your choice to spend the money getting licensed so you could advertise. It's my choice not to. I got myself a myspace where I post pictures of cakes (only ones that I have made) and I have been gradually getting more and more business that way. Works for me, like it or not. But I'd guarantee you that if we were close in proximity, 9 times out of 10, you'd get the brides with a big budget and I'd get the brides with a very small one. You'd make a nice great big profit and I'd just get by. But again, that's my choice. I love the idea of making a cake and the end result. Not so much the process.

Which leads me to my one last point before I wrap up my rare spoken opinion (on this website anyway), a lot of brides these days are looking for absolute perfection and would prefer to pay a high end bakery thousands of dollars for their cakes rather than take a chance on a free cake. It would be my guess that the brides who take up myohmy on her offer have a pretty strict budget and truly appreciate an low cost wedding cake. And myohmy, this is not to say your cakes aren't just as worthy of thousands of dollars as any high end bakery. I have no idea either way, I haven't seen your cakes (that I'm aware of anyway).

So rake me over the coals if you want. I've got broad shoulders and I can handle it. If anything, it will take the heat off myohmy for a few. And if it gets too hot for me in here, I'll just go back to my own kitchen and bake happily away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%