I Will Make Your Wedding Cake For Free!!!!

Business By Jasmine33 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:28am by stephanie214

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 92

icon_surprised.gif No, not me personally, but SHE will!

http://www.freeweddingcakes.com/cake-pics/

How insane is that?

Quote:
Quote:

What's The Catch?

There is absolutely no catch. I am a budding cake decorator and of course, like anything else, I know the only way I could improve my skills is to practice. As well as being a cake decorator I am crazy about weddings and so I thought what better way to gain new experience than to offer my services for free to new brides. "I get experience, you get cake!"

The bottom tier is:

All I ask is to please cover the supplies.
My cake decorating skills are free.

Then on the left hand site of her website she has cakes that she has done and underneath cakes that she admires and has the skill level to do. I looked at the cakes she has done and it seems to me she has the skill to do her own buisiness.

I couldn't get over the price of some of these cakes! Click for the page

http://www.freeweddingcakes.com/cake-pics/link.php?id=209

Quote:
Quote:

Description: This cake will serve 74.

My supplies to make this cake = $95
Includes delivery.

Equipment: Refundable $45

Average cost - $200-250

Maybe someone needs to buy cakes from her and resell them at a profit! icon_lol.gif

91 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 92

Good grief. Maybe she works at a grocery store and steals her supplies? icon_razz.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 92

I think she has been discussed here before....

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

She's definately a member and has had to defend herself at least once that I remember in a very nasty thread about her site.

(For those that don't know this members site has been very heatedly and passionately discussed before)

I know I'm not a site owner or moderator and have no authority here but out of respect and human decency I am asking this...

Out of respect for her already being raked over the coals, I would like to ask everyone posting anything more to keep the discussion civil and respectful.

I think we can all agree that we have all had way to much nasty here at CC recently to last us all a life time and well into our own eternity.

Quote:
Quote:

Good grief. Maybe she works at a grocery store and steals her supplies? icon_razz.gif

Good grief in return!

How would you feel if someone said that about you even if they were only joking?

That just wasn't nice to say at all.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 92

Well, I think we all need to "get our fix" in whatever way that we can icon_lol.gif

Perhaps she just doesn't want the hassle of dealing with tax forms or maybe she doesn't need extra income but still wants the chance to be creative. Heck, I can think of lots more reasons to do it this way.

I'm sure that this fills a need. And really, there's enough business for all of us.

I do all of my cakes for charities or for a donation to a charity, so I do essentially the same thing that she does except that I don't get reimbursed for supplies. I like it this way. It works for me and my family.
I don't want to babysit a formal business. I don't want to deal with zoning laws (I have a nasty neighbor who would make my life miserable if he even thought I was running a business [legal or illegal] out of my home). I want to be able to say "No" without having to worry that I've cost my business $$. I don't want to haggle price (I quote a fair retail price for the donation and if someone balks, I tell them I won't do the cake).

To each her/her own--leave her be!

Rae
Paying it forward, one cake at a time.........

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 92

I agree- to each their own. Who cares if she does them for cost? Maybe she just enjoys it, and doesn't get extreamly stressed over it (like I do). Although I am doing a wedding cake for free next year (it's for my cousin). Everyone can voice their opinions, but no personal attacks please. Let's keep this one a friendly debate. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 92

I liked the one called Dawn of Romance - all white with white leaves. I think that I'd be able to try that one. I haven't attempted any sort of wedding cake.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 92

This America I see nothing wrong I think it's a creative idea. Just the exposure. I give cakes away but at least she is covering her cost.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 92

oh! i saw one of her cakes in the gallery icon_smile.gif she's very talented. if she can do cakes for free, then good for her, doing something nice like that. i wish her all the best. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 92

maybe she doesn't need the money...lucky dawg....

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 92

From her list of supplies it looks like she also bakes from scratch. I would order from her if I lived near her. Her cakes are beautiful. I would of course also give her a very nice cash tip. I'm sure she gets a lot of those. I know I under price, but where I live the market will only hold so much. So, a lot of times people will give me a tip (I'm a hobbyist). Especially since our favorite local bakery closed. You could get a half sheet cake for $25! It was the most amazing cake I have ever tasted. So many people miss it. Now everyone is trying to find the next best thing.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

She's definately a member and has had to defend herself at least once that I remember in a very nasty thread about her site.

(For those that don't know this members site has been very heatedly and passionately discussed before)

I know I'm not a site owner or moderator and have no authority here but out of respect and human decency I am asking this...

Out of respect for her already being raked over the coals, I would like to ask everyone posting anything more to keep the discussion civil and respectful.

I think we can all agree that we have all had way to much nasty here at CC recently to last us all a life time and well into our own eternity.

Quote:
Quote:

Good grief in return!

How would you feel if someone said that about you even if they were only joking?

That just wasn't nice to say at all.

Come on, I was making a joke. The original poster said she was insane!

ETA: I have no knowledge of any prior discussions on this member and her site, but think she doesn't need practice, and should be charging full price for her cakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 92

Good for her!!! Her cakes are really nice and if I lived in Vegas...heck I would have her do my cake just so I wouldn't have too!!!

jacquie575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacquie575 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 92

I just looked at the site and some of her cakes are amazing! icon_eek.gif She is definitely good enough to have her own business, but like some of you have said she may not want to deal with the hassle and just loves baking cakes and making people happy...And of course she does not need the money and has the time. Good for her...I am very jealous, wish I could do it just for fun and on a regular bases like that.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 92

Volunteering to make cakes for cost only is a good way to gain experience. There is a woman that lives near me that asked me to make hers free.... when I refused she posted in a yahoo group that she needs a free cake, gown, veil. bridesmaid dress for her daughter, linens, cutlery, plates and a photographer... all free! Now THAT is insane! icon_lol.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 92

Wow! Those are some really impressive cakes! Seems like she could make a fortune if she wanted to... icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 92

No bashing from me. Kuddos to her for being able to do that. I wish i could, but I can't...I need to get paid for my time. Sounds like she is a hobbyist and ENJOYS doing what she does. Some people like it that way better. I know so many people who say that once they turn it into a business, they HATE it.

Her cakes are awesome!!!! Doesn't look like she needs the practice tho...she already is professional! She's getting exposure and for now maybe that is all she wants. Who knows, but again, KUDDOS to her. It's hard getting your name out there.

I don't know who this member is, but PM me. I would love to look at her gallery and post some comments.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 92

Mmhmm, her cakes ARE awesome!! I know that I won't do wedding cakes for ANYONE. LOL And I'm just a hobby baker. Yay for her! Her cakes are amazing and she gets to play in the kitchen! Sounds like it's a win:win for everyone!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #19 of 92

I really see nothing wrong with it. It's quite possibly the best way to gain experience and practice technique without:

1) Making tons of dummy cakes that you have no room for.

2) Having to deal with the stress of a business.

and

3) Making your friends and family absolutely SICK of cake.

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 92

I just looked at her "already made cakes" and one of them jumped out at me as I had saved it here on the forum. It was made by "boween." Is this the same person? If not, I would say these are actually NOT her cakes that she's showing. If that's the case, it's a whole different issue. But if it is her, one and the same, good for her!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #21 of 92

Makes total sense to me. My husbands co-workers are my official guinea pigs. Once in a while I'll have one ask me to do a cake for a special event and I only charge for supplies, except the castle cake (plus it gives me a great excuse to buy new cake toys icon_lol.gif ). I love her flowers!

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 92

Wow.....That is not something you see everyday!

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #23 of 92

I just checked again....the "pink rose delight" cake is the EXACT same picture taken off the forum here by boween. I have it saved in my favorites....background is even the same, so if Boween and this girl are not one in the same..................

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #24 of 92

her cakes are so adorable. i love the pink one with the hearts. I just wish she'd put something about the cakes, like is it fondant or buttercream.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #25 of 92

This is on her site.....

Please note this is a new site and a new venture for me. Some pictures you'll see in the gallery I sourced from the world wide web. Some of the pictured cakes I have actually made myself. These are all design examples of work that I am capable of doing. As my portfolio grows, all the sourced photos will eventually be replaced with my own photos. If anyone see's their photograph and would like it taken down, email me and I will oblige.

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #26 of 92

NO, all the cakes pictured are definitely not made by her. She is NOT Boween, either.

I could perhaps see putting a pic up there saying, "This cake was originally done by....XXX and I would gladly like to try replicating it..." or whatever. She's not giving proper credit for the cake pix she's got on the site.

Just sayin'.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #27 of 92

Uh oh...

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #28 of 92

I agree that she is very talented and could do this as a buisness if she wnated to, but as others have said, mabye she doesn't want that. At least she clearly states which cakes she has done and which ones are done by others. They are even put into two different albums, "Cakes I want to do" and "The cake gallery". I assume boweens cake is in the "Cakes I want to do" album. I still don't know if I think that's really ok to put other peoples pictures on your site like that icon_confused.gif Unlike others (who have been discussed here recently) she at least claims she will take the pictures down or give credit on them if the person who did them emails her. That's something I guess... She probably googled cake pictures to find them and probably don't know who made them. Still, it's not really legal to post them without the photographers consent I think...

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #29 of 92

I practise for family by doing their cakes as gifts. But to get known, I may try to sell a couple at cost of supplies to get the exposrue and more practise cause man I need it.

I do agree that althoutgh she put the disclaimer in about some pictures not being hers, she should have identified which ones and given credit. Best of luck for her for taking the step to getting her cakes out there.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #30 of 92

We had this problem with her last year.. but at that time she didnt even explain that some of the pic's were not hers.... she had taken several from this site... now it looks like she is disclosing that all of them are not her creations.. but is she giving proper credit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%