Sad, Anyone Else In My Boat

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm by MosMom

hedy1967 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedy1967 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #31 of 42

i cry every year that my daughter go to school, icon_cry.gif she is in the 6th grade. and then i laugh icon_lol.gif cause i think i am silly for crying. i get over it in an hour or so.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #32 of 42

My oldest daughter started kindergarten last year. I was sad because she is growing up so fast; but at the same time I was very excited for her to experience new things. Our kindergarten is only 1/2-day, so it was a nice transition & she was home for lunch. This year she'll be starting 1st grade (all day) and my younger daughter (who is 3) will be starting preschool 2 mornings a week. I decided since they'll both be gone 2 monrings a week, it was time for me to find a job - so I'll be working part-time while my littlest one is in preschool. I think I'm more nervous about me going back to work after almost 6 years than I am about the girls going to school!

When my daughter started K last year, she was also the smallest and one of the youngest - 39 inches and 34 pounds & not quite 5 at the time. She didn't seem to mind & wasn't picked on for it.

I, too, really think you should try not to act sad in front of your lttle one when it's time to say good-bye. No matter how much you'll be crying inside, try to keep a smile on your face. You don't want your little one to be worrying about you on his/her first day! But as soon as you walk out of that classroom, let the tears roll!

One other thing I would suggest - volunteer in your child's class if you can. I was very lucky and my daughter's teacher allowed me to bring my younger one to class with me. I went in twice a week for about 45 minutes. It's a great way to see what is really going on in your child's class, the teachers love the help, and your child will like seeing you in his class (at least until about 2nd grade when mom just isn't "cool" anymore!)

Good luck! I'm sure everything will be just fine!

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

...I have to by 12-18 month pants to allow her to have legal length shorts..

That is such a great idea! My daughter is 6 and has cerebral palsy, she weighs about 32 lbs. and is so tall! I have one heck of a time finding shorts and pants for her. Without the adjustable waist, I would be lost! Looks like now I have another option...thanks!

And don't be too sad, one day you'll be counting down the days until she goes back to school the first day of summer vacation! I have 5 kids total, 4 boys and as well as my daughter. With my first and second I was sad, but by the time my other two boys went to school, I was practically shoving them out the door...lol. I was always most nervous for my daughter, but especially last year because she was switching schools, but she made it and so will your daughter (and you).

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

My baby is a senior in high school this year, so that's giving me some "moments". My oldest lived at home through college. My older son went away to college. I did great when we drove him up there (I SWORE to myself I wouldn't cry!), unpacked him and went book shopping. I was fine until he hugged me goodbye. Then I couldn't stop crying. I cried for an hour in the car. My DH asked if I needed him to pull over and I just told him I needed to cry until I didn't need to anymore so he should just keep driving. Poor guy. Fun drive for him.
I finally stopped and then when we got home there was a message from my son telling me that he'd come home a lot and that he wasn't really gone and that he loved me. Of course, I couldn't stop crying again after I heard that! icon_cry.gif
He's a senior in college this year......

Jodie

This made ME cry!

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #35 of 42

Ha.. I must be bad Mom because I'm counting down the days until my youngest starts school (he's 4)!! I've never cried when my kids started because they were so proud to be going. All of my kids have always been so independent though. Who knows, maybe I'll cry with the last one. He has been driving me nuts lately wanting to go to school, I'm thinking about putting him in preschool just to make him happy.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #36 of 42

I've been counting the days! My last child started K today, Yahoo! tapedshut.gif I have 4 older children. The youngest of those 4 graduated from high school this June. Then we have this little kaboose. She missed the deadline last year so she is now almost 6. She will be one of the oldest in her K class. I have always been ready to have my children start school. I used to be a K teacher. It was interesting to watch all the moms on the first day of school. It seemed like the kids that had the hardest time letting go were the ones who's mom would't go home. They would keep peeking in the door. I guess it's just me, I like having a little time off. This is what we are suppose to raise them up to do, be independant. I wonder if the mom's that have such a hard time are the ones with really quiet sweet children. Most of my children were very active and talkitive. I tell ya I can't run fast enough to get things done while they were gone. I'm always looking at the clock! icon_eek.gif We'r e all different. Mom's who have been a little sad, hope your kids had a good day!

wily_kitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wily_kitt Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #37 of 42

I went thru this last year with my oldest, it was sooo sad to walk away with just one child! I'm the same, stay at home Mom. They start school here in the year of their fourth birthday, my son is a Jan baby so he was 4 1/2 starting. I am going to be a basket case when my DD goes, she is a Dec baby so she'll still be 3 when she goes icon_cry.gif It does get to the point thou when you adore the time that they are at school so you can get some stuff done around the house. And the first concert will have you in tears again icon_lol.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #38 of 42

Oh Man!

My one and only is starting Pre-K next week, and I am fine with that since he was in the same school last year. However, reading about these moms sending their boys off to college is making me cry my eyes out. I can't imagine my sweet little boy growing into a man and leaving home. icon_sad.gif

OK, I am crying again!

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #39 of 42

Reading these posts brings back all kinds of memories. After 7 years of marrige and being told I couldn't have children, we were blessed with a healthy baby boy. I ended up quitting my job to be a stay at home mom and loved almost every minute of it. First day of school I was a mess but I wore sunglasses to the bus stop so he couldn't see the tears. JR HIgh and High School, all new fears, on my part not his. Then the day we took him to college. I was doing so good and really proud of myself and I looked at my DH and HE was crying. That set me off. We sat in the parking lot for about 10 minutes before even trying to leave.

I cried my eyes out for 1 1/2 hours. I finally pulled it together and then my Mom called to see how I was doing. Needless to say, I started all over. When we got home to the empty house it was terrible for both of us. I went to his room and layed on his bed and hugged a pillow. I kept saying to my DH that is didn't even smell like him because it had been in his car for most of the summer with sleeping gear.

He is now a senior and it is still hard when he first leaves. But we do better each year. It is a strange quiet in the house for awhile. I keep telling myself that we raise our children to be independent and productive. And hopefully after he tries out his wings, he'll come back home. If not, then I'm moving out to be near him! LOL

Seriously, enjoy all the little ones while you have them. Time passes much too quickly.

cakes_by_jess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_jess Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #40 of 42

My little girl starts Kindergarten this year. She is my baby and I have 2 boys going in 9th and 5th grades. Not only am I sad but I feel so old now, I'm 34. I feel like the years have just blown by, and that I've missed out on so much. Don't know why I feel that way, b/c I have been a SAHM to except for 8 month when she was 3.

ziggytarheel
Thanks for that info, it makes sense, I never actually thought I could be making her sad too. Sure don't want to make her sad, she is looking foward to school with much excitement. I will be happy for her. Cry on my way home..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #41 of 42

thank you all for your gentle words..... open house was last night and we found out she got the best teacher for her... she is quite the strong willed little lady, so she got the oldest and most "wanted" kgarten teacher without my even requesting... must be God's plan for her. We had a little bit of a rough morning with her not wanting to wear the shoes and she was a little saddened when I left her in the classroom. She said bye to me and her baby brother.... who mind you has been saying Neena (my daughter is Heleena) since we got back in the car at the school. he keeps calling for her... boo hoo... we are going to take a shopping trip this morning for some new crocs... she outgrew all 6 of old ones overnight... she has been in them for nearly 2 years.... and then some groceries. I have yet to cry, but I feel it welling up.... she told me right before we got out of the car, "mommy I am going to miss you today, but I will tell you all the neat things I learned when you pick me up"..... ok tears are there now.... I just miss her so much... but I know it will be ok! Thanks again everyone, don't know what I would do without you!

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #42 of 42

My youngest will be starting Kindergarten and I feel like I will be awfully lonesome during the day. Our time with our kids goes so fast. Even when you DO cherish every day it still is gone in a blink of an eye.

My son is tiny too and was right at the cutoff so we made the decision to wait a year. I'm glad we did. I think he has matured quite a bit this year and is now fully ready. I just don't know if I am.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%