Visiting New Hampshire/vermont/southern Maine - Suggestions?

Lounge By HerBoudoir Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm by mommicakes

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 14

My BF and I are planning a road trip to New Hampshire, Vermont and southern Maine the last week in August (yes, of COURSE we just now started planning). It'll be a 6 day road trip, and I'm trying to plan on looping it around so we're not doing 10 hours of driving at a stretch.

For those of you in the area or who have visited the area - can you suggest some places to visit or things we shouldn't miss? I'd really appreciate some help.

We're kind of low-key - we like beautiful scenery, picnics, wandering around small artsy towns. We'll definately be hugging the coast in search of good seafood (lobster!). We're more likely to stay in a chain motel rather than a B&B or resort-type hotel because we prefer to be cheap there and spend more money on dining out, etc.

I'll be going to AAA's tomorrow to get Tour Books and maps, and probably stop by the bookstore as well to see if they have anything interesting.

13 replies
susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 14

Sue,
I was floored to see that we have the same name and your birthday is the day before mine and to top it off my husband and I just went from here in northern NY to VT, NH, and Maine a few weeks ago. icon_smile.gif
Write to my personal addy and I'll let you know where we went, what we saw that we loved and didn't love and answer any question I can. icon_smile.gif
We were gone 5 days and went on the Harley. We ended up going 1,400 miles. icon_smile.gif
Susie
[email protected]

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

I went to NH on vacation several years ago and loved Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, NH. The scenery is gorgeous. The website is www.castleintheclouds.org

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #4 of 14

Mu family and I went last summer waaaaaay up there, and we went to Bar Harbor Maine. It was so much fun, and it is one of those artsy scenic towns. Cadillac Mountain is nearby, and they have lots of stuff to do in that vicinity. Have fun, I wish I was going back!

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #5 of 14

I have a lot of family up in Maine, there is plenty to see..and better things to eat! There is Kennibunkport where the Bush's have a home. A little beach and lots of little shops, very scenic. There is Old Orchid Beach, which has a beach( duh) a pier, some rides, bars and restuarants...it can be fun, but watch for speed traps (got a ticket there icon_redface.gif ). There is a place down the road called Ken's. I remember as a kid, they had the best lobster rolls and fried clams!! If you go to Orrs Island, there is a lot of beautiful scenery. You can go to Lands End (t-shirts/gift shop) and there is a restaurant called Cook's that has a great Shore Dinner. You may have even seen that restaurant on an American Express commercial. There are also alot of beautiful lakes up there!

Have fun, I'm jealous!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #6 of 14

Ahh, NH and Southern Maine! My home!

Umm..if you're looking for small and artsy towns then you'll definitely want to stop over in Portsmouth NH, a micro "city" by the sea with a hipster flare. If BF is interested in wartime history, Portsmouth also has a landlocked submarine ship from one of the wars which you can go inside of and take a tour. Portsmouth is also home to many steamship tours (As is Ogunquit's Perkins Cove with small fishing vessels)--don't miss these and don't forget your camera! I would also say do Southern ME by driving along US Route One rather than 95--it will take you longer this way, and maybe more gas, but taking Route One will drive you through the hearts of York, Ogunquit, Wells, Saco, etc...

Ogunquit is known for its art galleries, while York is known for the Famous Nubble Light House (One of the most photographed lighthouses in the world? US? One of those!)

Check out Kittery, ME (Or Freeport/Portland if you're willing to drive that far) for their famous Outlet Shopping Malls-- also in Freeport the LL Bean flagship store. York, ME is home to the Stonewall Kitchen flagship company store.

And for food---almost everywhere you look, you'll find it! There is a fun place in Wells called the Bull 'N' Claw restaraunt--been there forever-- but famous nonetheless! In York, the "famous" Goldenrod restaraunt has been making saltwater taffy fresh everyday and in plain sight of the public for over 100 years.

I could go on and on. Enjoy your trip!

ETA-- If you plan on wanting to "hug the shore," Route One for the most part is Definitely the way to go.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 14

Grew up spending every summer in Southern Maine. Definitely hit Portland. Beautiful little city. While there, specifically hit the Old Port section. Quaint shops and great food. Obviously, you want to get a lobster. But, a great treat also is a lobster roll sandwich and the infamous Italian Sandwiches. They are similar to a hoagie, but man, so much better. You can get them a marts called Dimato's. In Portland, also seek out the Promenade. It is a walkway that circles the bay and you can see beautiful scenery while getting some exercise.

Definitely see the Portland Head LIght. Arguably the most famous American Head light (at least the most photographed, I believe). This is located in Cape Elizabeth which is just outside of Portland. While in the park to see the headlight, make sure you go to the other side of the park and see Kettle Cove. You can walk a path along the rocks and shore that is beautiful.

Old Orchard is alright if you want the boardwalk experience, but if you have limited time, skip it. A million tourists and there are much more scenic places to visit.

HTH

HerBoudoir Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks so much for the suggestions icon_smile.gif Keep them coming!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 14

All of my family came from Maine. It has beautiful lakes and ponds as well as the ocean beaches. Coming from Maryland you may want to take to the ocean slooooowly! It is way cold even though you will see the locals swimming and splashing around in the water.
So-eat LOTS of lobster, the lobster there is right out of the ocean and tastes so much better.
Poland Springs now brags about having the "cheapest resort in America" and they do! It's not for everyone though. Rather old fashioned (which I love. In their library/reading room I found a copy of the newspaper with my Mom and Dad's wedding announcement-from 1921!) you can check out their website just for fun.
Have a great time. If you can not make arrangements for this month October is the BEST!!! Leaves change color here in NJ too, but not as vivid or awesome as in New England.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 14

Having lived in New England all my life, spent all my summers in NH, now I live in VT, the places are pretty endless.

Seems everyone has filled you in on ME and the coast line, I will add that the York/Wells area is really nice, (my favorites anyway).

NH, I agree with The Castle In The Clouds. Lots of hiking trails, and the views of Lake Winni is just amazing! Meridith & Center Harbor are very nice too. There is a road between NH & VT we call it LOST RIVER ROAD it is a good treck, at the top of the mountain, there is a pond with amazing picture opps. also there are some really cool hiking trails throughout the White Mountains. Check out the Kangamangis Highway, absolute breathtaking road, hairpin turns and drop offs with TONS of picture scenes.

VT, depending what you like really, we have it all here. Northern part of the state, Lake Memphromagog separates VT from Canada way up north in Newport looks like it goes on forever, tiny little shops. Central VT, Here in my little town (Groton), there is this state park that offers fly fishing only on the most beautiful pond with the nicest little house to do a romantic dinner, and they will even pack you a lunch for your picnic on the grounds. Then there is Stowe, in winter time that is the ski town, summer, lots of antique shops, country roads, farm stands, great local foods DON'T forget BEN and JERRYS, they have a tour of the facility w/a sampling. Southern VT, Queeche Gorge, very deep crevice with river running through it, just amazing.

Just a few thoughts, you can find any information you want on these on our states website. Hope you have a wonderful time here in the NE. If you want more ideas, PM me & I'll send you some more.

Donna
icon_biggrin.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #11 of 14

We just spent a week in Camden, ME. It was wonderful. THey have an unbelievable library. Go to the bottom floor to see the kids department even if you have no kids. It's built into a hill in a way and the entrance to the bottom is just cool. THere are concerts in the amphitheatre right outside the library. There are lots of boats to go on, and the Youngtown Inn is a great place for dinner-- French chef. You can get great lobster at a lot of places and The Waterfront is really good (for lobster and a lot of other things). THe Owl and Turtle bookstore has a wishing well where you can look down in the river. There are antique stores all over the place too. I hope you have a wonderful time.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 14

My family and I just got back from a 2 week vacation out east. We went to VT, NH, ME, PA, NY, MA. Burlington VT was nice, Bar Harbor, Booth's Bay, Rockland, Saco Beach/Old Orchard all were beautiful. In Rockland, we found a boat that just came in with lobster. We got them for $4.00 a pound!!! There's so much you can do in all of those areas. We went there last year, and had to go back this year because we missed alot. Hope you have fun.

HerBoudoir Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all of the suggestions icon_smile.gif

We've decided to spend 2-3 days in the White Mountains, then go to very southern Maine for lobster and beaches....I'm REALLY looking forward to this.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 14

the white mountains are just beautiful, (only 1/2 hr from here) KEEP A SHARP EYE OUT FOR MOOSE AND BEAR. They hang out all over the place.

HAVE A GREAT TIME. tell us about your adventures when you return!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%