The Tamale Lady Made Me Mad!

Decorating By Jasmine33 Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm by Jasmine33

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

How about pupusas?! Yummy!

I'm on a latin-food binge this week thanks to you ladies! I've had carne asada, green chili enchilalas (as my DD calls them), today we're doing pork carnitas (we fry pork shoulder in a big turkey fryer outside and then chop it up ). Tomorrow I'm turning the leftover carnitas to make rolled tacos.....

you devil you. I love pupusas. I haven't had those since I moved out of Houston. Now i'm craving them. I might just have to make "gorditas" with chicharron. I think I have some in the freezer that my brother brought me from Mexico a couple of wks. back. Gotta love food!!!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:48am
post #92 of 123

Ladies I haven't forgotten about everyone. I will be back to talk tomorrow. My hubby has Thursdays - Saturdays off so I try to focus on him more. See ya manana!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:11pm
post #93 of 123

OK ladies I'm putting my cake toys aside and I'm pulling out my tamale tools I have only a couple of more ingredients to get to make my tamales

Molly

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #94 of 123

Even though I'm blanquita, I have a multi-cultural family, and have lived in diverse neighborhoods all my life. So when I read all of you discussing "Latin" and "Hispanic" foods, I'm sorry, but I have got to laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

To me, the foods of the different countries which comprise Latin America are as diverse as the way we eat hot dogs here in the US. Even though many of the ingredients used are the same throughout Central America, it's those few flavors, indigenous to each country, which make each type of cuisine unique.

So, now that I have expressed my thoughts, the Mexican restaurants near me suck big time (Don Pablo's? I don't think so!), but I can buy authentic Mexican ingredients in a city near me. Would some of you, who are discussing family recipes, be so kind as to either publish some recipes here or PM some to me? I'll take anything, basic recipes, family specialties, whatever you're willing to share. And if there are particular brands of ingredients which you prefer, please send those along, also.

Thanks So Much -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #95 of 123

Hooray Molly! Don't forget we need pics!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #96 of 123

Jasmine

I will post

Molly

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Even though I'm blanquita, I have a multi-cultural family, and have lived in diverse neighborhoods all my life. So when I read all of you discussing "Latin" and "Hispanic" foods, I'm sorry, but I have got to laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

To me, the foods of the different countries which comprise Latin America are as diverse as the way we eat hot dogs here in the US. Even though many of the ingredients used are the same throughout Central America, it's those few flavors, indigenous to each country, which make each type of cuisine unique.

So, now that I have expressed my thoughts, the Mexican restaurants near me suck big time (Don Pablo's? I don't think so!), but I can buy authentic Mexican ingredients in a city near me. Would some of you, who are discussing family recipes, be so kind as to either publish some recipes here or PM some to me? I'll take anything, basic recipes, family specialties, whatever you're willing to share. And if there are particular brands of ingredients which you prefer, please send those along, also.

Thanks So Much -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif I'd have to ask my Tita! (grandmother) icon_eek.gif

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #98 of 123

Cool Molly!

playingwithsugar

Yes everyone. Lets share our awesome recipes here! This is what I used after I cooked the pork in chile and garlic, onion powder, salt, etc. I put that with the water from it on the stove in a pan and added this seasoning. It turned out great and is also great for enchiladas. IMO.

Mexican Enchilada Sauce

Quote:
Quote:

I got this recipe from by grmil who was born and raised in Mexico City. The secret to its flavor is the cocoa

15 min 15 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
3 cups water
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Stirring constantly, slowly add enough of the water to make a thin paste.
3. Pour into pan and add rest of water.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
5. Stir in tomato sauce.
6. Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
7. The amounts on the ingredients are very flexible.
8. For instance, if I am feeding my kids who do not likeâspicyâ, I will halve the chili powder and double the tomato sauce.
9. Experiment to suit your taste, but donât leave out the cocoa.
10. For a quick meal, we will soften a corn tortilla in a bit of hot oil, drag it through the sauce, and lay it flat on a plate.
11. cover it with grated cheddar cheese, sprinkle with chopped onions and sliced black olives.
12. Then cover with another softened sauced tortilla and melt the cheese in the microwave for 1 minute on high.

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #99 of 123

mariela_ms

Quote:
Quote:

man...those look soo good.. I had fish tacos yesterday..we should make a lunch thread and post our pics lol! too bad I didn't take pics of my tacos...they were eaten to fast!!!

Just post it in here. Everyone else is welcome to do the same, mexican food or not. icon_smile.gif

nicolepa

Quote:
Quote:

For the Tortilla's, most recipes I've found are about the same, 4 c Flour, lard, baking powder & salt. The key is you must use LARD, no shortening/crisco etc.

Thank you so much! The recipes I have, one is just flour salt water and baking soda? The other is with oil so I will try this soon and let ya know! I miss my granmas tortillas!

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure why you are cooking them for 5 hours? We never cook them before we freeze. Then when we steam them we go striaght from frozen and cook probably 30 minutes. Of course, like I said the ones my grandma makes are small. So those big monster ones you'd have to cook longer. And for the microwave if you've already cooked them then you wouldn't do 2 minutes, maybe 30 seconds, just enough to heat thru. Mine are frozen and uncooked and I do 1.5-2 minutes.

That stupid contraption we were using doesn't work right so it takes alot longer. I broke down over the weekend and got a 32 qt tamale pot. It has a steamer insert. Hooray!

What happens if you oversoak? LOL

TejasRebel

Quote:
Quote:

Jasmine33

Girl, that's just WRONG... I just came in from doing errands -- no lunch, nothing but a stinkin' banana for breakfast, and there's this picture of ENCHILADAS

LOL And they taste wonderful! And I have red hair and brown eyes too -- and I tan, don't burn! I have some blond-haired, blue-eyed cousins too! Go figure...

I think we do too but they are pretty distant and I haven't seen them since I was 8 or so. lol Post a picture and I will too!

Maybe we are long lost cousins! hahaa

Quote:
Quote:

Y'all I'm so hungry. Somebody email me some tamales and enchiladas please -- quick!

*special care package for Rebel* LOL

mommachris

Quote:
Quote:

I live just south of Fresno. That is where the backyard kitchen was busted.
Freaked me out. It will be a long time before I buy anything offered by sweet ladies in the grocery store parking lot.....if ever.

That is very scary!!

martmarg

Quote:
Quote:

IF you want to make tamales from scratch try to find the maseca for tamales, It already has some of the seasonings in it. Also boil your meat with onion, garlic, pepper anything you want and use that water for the masa. That way you don't have to use that much lard.

I don't know what kind I grabbed. It said all you add is water and salt was it. They were so plain I wouldn't even eat them and ran tom the mexican mart to get prepped masa! HAHAHA

Quote:
Quote:

There is alot of mexican places here that I can go to but the taste is different becuase its Mexican food from another region in Mexico. Anyway, still love it.

That is too bad.

Quote:
Quote:

Her recipe is::
Approx. 6 cups of flour
about 3 palmfuls of shortening
Eyeball the salt and the water and knead until ready.
That's how I make them when Walmart is out of uncooked flour tortillas.

thanx for the recipe I will have to try it!

I have never had Bunuelos or polvorones

Molly2

Quote:
Quote:

I love making tamales my grandma taught me how to make them, I love the pork and I make the bean and cheese and have made chicken but I really love to make the spicy cream cheese mmmmm GOOD!

My dh loves the mozzarella with jalapenos.

TejasRebel

Quote:
Quote:

At this rate my Georgia boy fiance is going to come home and find the salsa music going, the rice and beans cooking, masa everywhere, and me cooking up a storm! Laughing

Yeah! I am coming to your house!! Take pictures!!!

I want to see you do the cha ~ cha! hahaha

kogden

Quote:
Quote:

Am I the only one who is about ready to lick the computer.

Nope I am busy licking my food! LOL

jmt1714

WHo knows? SOme people just get offended easily I guess.

Ironbaker

Quote:
Quote:

Uh, Jasmine, so when should you expect me for dinner?

How about breakfast? I am eating a pork tamale now. haha

Quote:
Quote:

I had to break down and go buy frozen ones from Trader Joe's just to attempt to satisfy the craving. I've heard they're decent so we'll see. I'm going to try to get my friend to go to our fav mexican place this weekend.

Did you get to go? How were the tamales?

OH AND IF ANYONE HAS AN AWESOME RECIPE FOR SALSA LIKE THE KIND YOU GET AT THE MEXICAN REST. PLEASE PASS IT THIS WAY! Or even "authentic" ones will be nice. lol

I have a few recipes but nothing I am crazy about yet.

mariela_ms

Quote:
Quote:

Hey! I tried the Polvorones recipe!! They are delicious!! I just made the second batch!!!

That is great! I have never tried those before.

indydebi

Quote:
Quote:

My health inspector told me a story of someone who was making something like 5 or 6 turkeys and thawed them in their bathtub!!! And the reason she knows about it is because of all of the folks who got severe food poisoning from it!!

Yuck!!! Were they selling it or was it thanksgiving? WOW!

mariela_ms

Looks like a "hispanic" sugar cookie. heheheh

feliciangel

here is a picture when I mixed up my masa

CakeMakar

mmmmmm I want to come for dinner! Post pics!!

CakeMakar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #100 of 123

I've never seen an enchilada sauce recipe with chili powder. Or is it ground chiles?

We use the whole red chiles you see dried in the store. You can also find frozen red (or green) chile puree in a white tub in the freezer case of your grocery store. Much easier that way, and lasts longer. (I just discovered these!)

Once my mom was so happy to get "real" New Mexico chiles while we were driving through. We got home and she stored them away until she was ready. I guess she forgot about them, because when she pulled them out they were covered in maggots. I don't know if she thought she could save them or ?? but she dumped them in the bathtub (cleaned first!, but yes, yuck) and had us dunking and rinsing them. My arms were burning the next day! Needless to say, they all ended up the trash anyways.

For green chili enchiladas we get out the biggest stock pot (that we also steam tamales in), fill with water & cook up a large chicken, along with cloves of garlic & sliced onions. Take out the chicken, strain the broth. Debone the chicken & toss all the meat back in. Roast green chiles over open fire (BBQ, or stovetop) or you could stick them in the oven, turning occasionally. Peel off all the skin & deseed. Chop & toss in the pot. Crush the garlic cloves and put them & the onions back in. Season (mexican bullion, garlic salt, salt, pepper, cumin.) Make a cornstarch slurry & toss in. Bring to a boil. Add sour cream if desired.

Flash fry corn torts. (About an inch of oil in a pan - run the torts through for a couple seconds each.) We don't roll them - just make layers - tort, cheese, onions, sauce.

Sorry there are no measurements, it really depends on taste and how big your chicken is, how much water you added, how strong the chiles (& size), garlic, onions, salt is....

ETA: As an estimation - we use an average size (5 lb?) chicken, water to cover, about 6 large chiles, 1/2 head garlic.

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:18pm
post #101 of 123

Oh and ladies I made banana cream pie this weekend! I made the vanilla pudding from scratch, and used heavy cream. MMMMMM.....

I will post pics when they are done uploading!

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #102 of 123

CakeMakar

I just use the powedered chili powder from smart n final

Quote:
Quote:

We use the whole red chiles you see dried in the store.

When we made the pork we threw those in with the water.

Quote:
Quote:

I guess she forgot about them, because when she pulled them out they were covered in maggots. I don't know if she thought she could save them or ?? but she dumped them in the bathtub (cleaned first!, but yes, yuck) and had us dunking and rinsing them. My arms were burning the next day! Needless to say, they all ended up the trash anyways.

AWW. Well it sounds like she tried to save them but so glad she threw them out! lol

The green chile recipe sounds really good!!

CakeMakar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

CakeMakar

I just use the powedered chili powder from smart n final

Quote:
Quote:

We use the whole red chiles you see dried in the store.

When we made the pork we threw those in with the water.
Quote:
Quote:

I guess she forgot about them, because when she pulled them out they were covered in maggots. I don't know if she thought she could save them or ?? but she dumped them in the bathtub (cleaned first!, but yes, yuck) and had us dunking and rinsing them. My arms were burning the next day! Needless to say, they all ended up the trash anyways.

AWW. Well it sounds like she tried to save them but so glad she threw them out! lol

The green chile recipe sounds really good!!

I'll have to go to S&F and look. (Just don't tell my Tita! icon_biggrin.gif)

Jasmine33 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #104 of 123

I now present to you Banana Cream Pie! Yes I threw chocolate sprinkles , nuts and strawberry on it too.

It was very good but next time we need more bananas!

CakeMakar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #105 of 123

Yummy!

superca_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superca_girl Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #106 of 123

Ladies I love this post. I grew up eating and making tamales. My grandmother owned a tortilla factory when I was younger and I have to say there is nothing like tamales from fresh corn masa vs maseca which is best for other traditional dishes. It is a lot of work but I love the smells. My fav are the pork!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #107 of 123

I wish it didn't cost so much to ship foods across the country. I would gladly trade some homemade pirogi (like Mrs. T's, but better) for some authentic Mexican.

Hey, teach me something - is there a difference between Mexican food and what they call Tex-Mex?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

martmarg Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #108 of 123
Quote:

I wish it didn't cost so much to ship foods across the country. I would gladly trade some homemade pirogi (like Mrs. T's, but better) for some authentic Mexican.

Hey, teach me something - is there a difference between Mexican food and what they call Tex-Mex?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yes there is. Tex mex food is mexican with american influence. Like adding yellow cheese to enchiladas or other foods, adding sour cream for example is more tex mex., also using flour tortillas is tex mex. Depending on the region that you go to the food will vary. In Mexico they use corn tortillas for tacos, enchiladas, and they use goat or cow white cheese for all their foods. They use some sour cream for certain foods but its more liquidy, kind of like heavy cream but then again it depends what you are using it for. In the northern part of Mexico you have machaca, which is kind of beef jerky without the spices, cabrito (little goat), barbacoa from cow's head, oohhh yummy, AND they do use flour tortillas. Coastal Mexico, depending on which coast the foods vary too, like fish tacos is more Baja Calif., but they also make in Veracruz and Yucatan for example, they also use more black beans in those areas it's more caribbean food. Even if they are making the same dishes, they vary in taste and ingredients and preparation.

here is a dish that I love . I eyball everything. Don't ever measure for cooking but hopefully you all can understand my recipe.

Green spaguetti

1 box of spaguetti cooked and drained.
2-3 poblano peppers ( You have to grill these so you can peel the skin. You can try to wrap each in paper towels, put them in a plastic bag and microwave for 3 min. each until you are able to pull the skin off. I usually put them under the broiler and it's less work for me.) Cut these up , take skin, seeds and veins off and put them in blender.
1 -2 cans of Nestle media crema or Mexian crema agria. (If you can't find these you can use regular sour cream, or heavy cream---put in blender with chiles)
1-2 cloves of garlic (put in blender)
salt and pepper to taste ( in blender)
Blend all these and pour in spaguetti stir to mix it all and it's ready . If you feel it's too dry you can add water or milk, whichever you prefer.

I use this as a side for meatloaf rolls with bacon or stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon rolls.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:44pm
post #109 of 123

Martmarg I live in the Valley........Harlingen to be exact. Where did you live?

There's this prep lady that works at the Carinos my husband manages that makes the best tamales. She sells them for $5 the dozen.......which is about the going rate around here. I just told him two days ago to find out when she was going to make another batch and then I come to find this post today. Maybe I could smell them from Jasmine's kitchen.......lol.[/b]

martmarg Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

Martmarg I live in the Valley........Harlingen to be exact. Where did you live?

There's this prep lady that works at the Carinos my husband manages that makes the best tamales. She sells them for $5 the dozen.......which is about the going rate around here. I just told him two days ago to find out when she was going to make another batch and then I come to find this post today. Maybe I could smell them from Jasmine's kitchen.......lol.[/b]

originally I'm from Falcon Heights which is about 13 miles from Roma. It's right in the middle of McAllen and Laredo. I lived in Edinburg for 4 1/2 yrs. All through college and a little after, until I got married and moved to Houston. We lived there for 5 yrs and then moved to Midland (west tx) because of my husband's job. But I miss the food from the valley, so authentic. I miss going to Calle del Taco in Reynosa especially the baked potatoes from there. I my goodness I'm really salivating. I'm going down there in Sept. to a wedding can't wait to go eat tacos de tripas and chicharron and mixtos with a baked potato and charro beans with a coke from Mexico. The best!!

Cyndi1207 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #111 of 123

Oh those potatos are the best!!! In fact there's this little place in Browsville that has the best taquitos de tripa..........so good.........and the taquitos de molleja...........delicious. I'm so hungry right now so none of this is helping.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #112 of 123

yup...Mexican Coke....the best coca cola is from Mexico lol! My favorite!!

Cyndi1207 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

yup...Mexican Coke....the best coca cola is from Mexico lol! My favorite!!

Yup.........you're absolutely right!!!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #114 of 123

I have never had a tamale, but I know on Road Tasted by Paula Dean's boys, they showcased a place last week where you can order and they will ship to you. If you check out foodnetwork, I am sure it will tell you how you could order. Probably more $$ though.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

My sister and SIL live in Rio Rico which right next to NOgales. My sister's MIL live in Nogales. I love their weather!!! I actually went about 1 month ago!

I always stayed at the Rio Rico Resort when I visited my warehouse!!!!

I live only 20 minutes or so from Rio Rico. It really is a beautiful area!

martmarg Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #116 of 123

oooooooh yum....molleja. i love that stuff. not so good for my cholesterol though. Might have to convince my hubby to make me some these weekend and some tripas too.

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #117 of 123

About Mexican Coca Cola -

Next time you have some, please read the label. I am curious as to whether they use high fructose corn syrup in their ingredients.

I can remember Coca Cola from back in the days when they didn't use it, and I can still tell the difference.

I recently found Jones Pure Cane Cola, which has no corn syrup in it. It is very reminiscent of the soda I remember drinking as a child. Wegman's also has a gourmet soda called Frizzante, which has no corn syrup in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #118 of 123

Our local brewery restaurant only sells pure cane bottled sodas. I'll have to make note of the brand next time. They are delicious! They have replicated almost every major brand/flavor you can think of.

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #119 of 123

I'm so jealous! I would love to find a store which sells all the Jones flavors, but so far, I have only found the cola. I would love to try them all.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #120 of 123
Quote:

About Mexican Coca Cola -

Next time you have some, please read the label. I am curious as to whether they use high fructose corn syrup in their ingredients.

I can remember Coca Cola from back in the days when they didn't use it, and I can still tell the difference.

I recently found Jones Pure Cane Cola, which has no corn syrup in it. It is very reminiscent of the soda I remember drinking as a child. Wegman's also has a gourmet soda called Frizzante, which has no corn syrup in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I LOVE Jones Soda!!! My fav is the Cream Soda and Black Cherry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%