Modeling With Fondant Question

Decorating By calla212 Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:52am by maimai16

calla212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla212 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

My Husband is going to Model a figurine for my Daugther's Bday cake.

I want to make the fondant.

Should I make the recipe for rolled fondant or sculpting fondant?

Seems like the answer would be sculpting, but I just want to make sure.

Am I crazy to try and make it? Or should I just buy a bucket of Wilton Fondant from the craft store?

Thanks for the advice.

4 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure I know the difference between rolled fondant and sculpting fondant (are you referring to gumpaste). If you have a link to these recipes will you post and I'm sure someone can help you.

How large is your figure? If it is small, the tub of Wilton would work just fine. If its larger and needs to be sturdy you should use a combination of 50/50 fondant / gumpaste.

Again, please post the links to the recipes.

calla212 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

Here are the recipes I found on cakedecorating-secrets.com

It is a small figurine.

Rolled Fondant Recipe

Cake covered with rolled fondant

This icing is used for covering fruit or pound cakes. It is most popularly used in Australia, for decorating or covering cakes.

Ingredients

* One tablespoon gelatin (without any flavor)
* Half cup cold water
* Two-third cup corn syrup

* Two tablespoons glycerin

* Two large spoons vegetable shortening (solid)
* Two pounds confectionerâs sugar

Make a cake of any desirable shape and cover it with thin butter cream icing. Add water and gelatin to it and let stand until the mixture becomes thick. Put the container over the boiler and heat it until it becomes soluble. Add corn syrup and glycerin and blend thoroughly. Before removing it from the flame, add the shortening and stir, mixing well. Allow it to cool until lukewarm.

Put one pound of confectionerâs sugar in a container and make a deep hole or well. Add the lukewarm gelatin mixture to it and mix it well with the help of a wooden spatula. Add more sugar to make it thick. Add the remaining ingredients, like almond, paste or color, and knead it into a smooth ball. In case the fondant is too soft, you can add more sugar or, if it is too hard, add a few drops of water. Use this rolled fondant immediately after it is ready or refrigerate immediatlely. Again, when you want to use it, allow it to reach room temperature first and knead it to make it soft.

Sculpting Fondant

Sculpting fondants are used for making flowers and borders. They are stiff and thick and can be molded to different shapes.

Pastillage - Fondant technique for Sculpting

Ingredients

Makes 1-1/4 pounds or 1-3/4 cups

* 1 tablespoon gelatin
* 1/3 cup water
* 4 cups powdered sugar (lightly spooned into cup)

* 1/2 cup cornstarch (lightly spooned into cup)

You can also use cream of tartar and food color, but they are not compulsory. Please follow the instructions below for making a sculpting fondant.

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over water in a small heatproof glass cup and let it sit for 5 minutes. Place cup in a small pan of boiling water. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved and remove from heat.
2. Mix up sugar, cornstarch, and optional cream of tartar in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the gelatin mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Mix well until the sugar is incorporated.
3. Turn onto a smooth and lightly greased surface, such as Formica. Knead until smooth. You may add water if the pastillage is dry or add powdered sugar if it seems too sticky.
4. Pastillage dries up quite fast, so you should cover it to prevent drying. Tightly wrap it with cloth and plastic and put it an airtight container.
5. You can roll the pastillage to as thin as 1/16-inch before it dries up and becomes unpliable. Also remember to spray the work surface and rolling pin with nonstick vegetable oil before rolling.
6. Placing it for a few seconds in the microwave can make stiff pastillage flexible.

calla212 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5

bump

anyone else have an opinion?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #5 of 5

normally, i only use the rolled fondant. to save me time in preparing 2 different fondants. if i'm going to sculpt from fondant, i just add a tsp to powder sugar to make it dry/hard faster. and i usually use left over fondants for sculpting, at least 3 days before making the cake to dry thoroughly. icon_smile.gif

hope this makes sense icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%