Condensation On Fondant + Royal Icing = ??

Decorating By lanibird Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm by lanibird

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

So it seems I have a severe case of "First Wedding Cake-itis", and the good parts of my brain have shut down. I've tried loading them with coffee, but they still don't want to play. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm doing a cake for this weekend that will be iced in SMBC, and covered in fondant, with RI brush embroidery on one tier, and a quilted pattern with sugar pears attached with RI on the other. It will be refridgerated because here in El Paso we are looking at mid to high 90's. Will the condensation that forms on the fondant while it comes to room temperature dissolve the RI? I started panicking last night with images of fading/running embroidery and falling sugar pearls flashing through my head.

Thank you!

edited to add: Normally I wouldn't be to fussed about this, since I could do touch-ups and what not, but the cake will be picked up Friday morning, for a Friday evening wedding, and I will be going out of town Friday afternoon. Yes, the bride was fully aware that I would be going out of town before she asked me to do it. thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
lanibird Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 4

Gonna give myself a little bump in hopes that someone who can help will see it! thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 4

I've put fondant covered cakes with RI accents in the fridge and no issues bringing them out (but my house is never 90 degrees and humid - the AC comes on long before this icon_wink.gif ). Can you cool down the house with AC, point a fan at the cake and let it come to room tempature?

Although I've never had issues with fondant or RI in the fridge I've read several posts where other people have meltdown issues - can you run a test on a piece of fondant?

lanibird Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 4

I think I will have to run a test sample. The plan was to keep it refridgerated until a couple hours before the reception, so it could come to room temperature. But now I'm thinking it might just have to scrap that, once I take it out of my fridge Friday morning, it'll have to stay out.

In the summer, my AC never turns off. icon_lol.gif Unfortunately it's a swamp cooler, and once it hits about 90 it can't cool the house lower than 85. We've got window units in just about every room in the house, so those help a bit.

Thank you for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%