Should I Give This Gal At Least A 50% Discount...

Baking By cocobean Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:21am
post #1 of 17

I have a cake I made for my granddaughters 2nd birthday. Of course noone paid for it. It was for my granddaughter. Now a realitive of my daughters husband would like me to make the same cake for her, for her 1 year old. It just so happens that she had THEIR wedding in her backyard. How great of a price do I need to quote her on this cake since she totally volunteered her backyard for their wedding? Noone paid her anything. I personally have not seen this gal for three years. Who owes her a favor? Is it me? Is it the son in law? She isn't asking for a free cake but I'm wondering if I owe her one? Maybe I should just quote her the regular price and then tell her I am going to give her a 50% dicount because she was so nice to have the kids wedding at her place. What are your thoughts?

(The cake is the Nursery Rhyme one in my pic's-last posted pic)

16 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:43am
post #2 of 17

I don't think you owe her a thing. It wasn't your wedding that took place there...it was your daughters. I would quote her your regular price and you could if you want give her a 10% discount but more than that I think is unwarranted. JMHO

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:48am
post #3 of 17

Well, if it were me, I would give her as much of a discount as I could afford. If you can afford giving her a 50% discount, then do it. But that's just my 2 cents.

If she didn't offer her backyard, where would your dd have gotten married? Would you have been asked to pay or help pay if she chose a venue that needed a deposit?

By the way I LOVE your cake! I just posted a comment there, but I'll say it again - that's the book I always read from when I was little! Brings back memories!

icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:57am
post #4 of 17

Thanks gals for your imput so far! Just for the record I wanted my daughter to have her wedding in our backyard. It would have been lovely!

cocobean Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:12am
post #5 of 17

...p.s. mom2spunkynbug, thank you for the nice comments on my cake!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:23am
post #6 of 17

So you wanted your dd to get married in your backyard? How come she chose not to? Well...maybe just a 25% discount

icon_biggrin.gif

And you're welcome - that cake is flawless!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 17

I think you should do the cake and landscape her back yard and give her favorite charity a check for $100.

icon_lol.gif

I mean, no, don't give her a discount. There's no reason to.

I mean have you been sitting there wondering what nice thing to bless her with for three years now? No. So she wants to conduct business with you. Do it.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 17

I dont think there is a need for a discount the wedding was 3 years ago, maybe what you could have done at that point (back then) is have sent her a thank you cake or something like that but now, I think the lady just want to buy a beatiful cake that she just adored nothing else, but if you feel like you owe her then I would give her a 10% ( nowadays even 10% sounds like a nice discount with everything going up so much, I am sure she would appreciate that)

Zeunasc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeunasc Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 17

I think you should do what your gut is telling you. If that means doing the cake for free, then so be it. If it means a 50% discount, then do it. It's not always about the money. You'll make her day, and you will feel better about yourself.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 17

hmmm, know that my reply is coming from a gal who gives/trades cakes all the time....so i understand your need to show appreciation by baking....

she gave YOU nothing, she did your daughter a favor....if your daughter wanted to give her something in return, that would be one thing, but i don't think you need to do anything.....cause i'm thinking that all the while you are making the cake you'll be trying to make it special for her....write her a card, slip it under the cake, expressing your gratitude for the lovely wedding site AND for trusting you to do her child's special cake....

she asked for the cake, which means she is willing to pay for it....has she balked at the price at all?

sally

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 17

I agree you know best what to do. If your gut says you should discount, then discount. However, as an outsider looking in, I would say no discount is needed. That's one nice cake! I would charge full price.

P.S. I loved that book when I was little too!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 17

It's been 3 years - she's not even thinking about the fact that your daughter got married in her backyard. She just wants a pretty cake and wants you to do it.

I don't think you need to give any discount. If you'd really like to, of course you certainly can, and that's fine. But you do not owe her anything 3 years later.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 17

The backyard was not offered JUST to your DD, but to her DH for their wedding. SO, the husbands mother offered her backyeard, probably where he grew up. I don't see the inconvenience on her part icon_smile.gif She was doing it for her son.
Nope, no discount...IMO. icon_cool.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 17

I would not give her a discount at all.The favor was for your daughter and it was 3 years ago.If she isn't griping about a deal etc then she probably isn't expecting one so I would treat this as a business transaction!! I don't expect deals from anyone..I pay the price asking....that's just how I am.When I charge for a cake I expect the price to be paid! Just business.JMO icon_smile.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #15 of 17

First of all, your cakes are beautiful! LOVE the nursery cake!! I personally wouldn't give any more than a 10% discount...and would probably make it a discount off of her next order. But that's just me. icon_smile.gif

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 17

In short .....You Owe Her Nothing......
But If you want give her a 25% discount

cocobean Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you all for your imput and comments! icon_smile.gif I think the reason they picked the DH cousins backyard was because they had a church across the street that had a big parking lot. My daughter wasn't married in that church (she was married in their backyard). But, the church said it was fine for them to have their guests park in that lot. Very convienent! icon_cool.gif Anyway I'm still thinking about what kind of discount to give her. People around here don't have custom birthday cakes made for them. I don't want to give her sticker shock. I think the whole idea of a custom birthday cake is kind of new. Not so much with wedding cakes cause those don't come up as often and they are a bigger deal. I know I know what you're going to say... I'll be strong! I think! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%