Where Do I Start?

Sugar Work By rmbias1 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm by kincaellan

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #1 of 6

I have never tried anything with pulled, poured, blown or any other kind of sugar art. I have been wanting to learn. So, I am making a campfire cake and think that this is just the perfect time to learn something new. I would like to make the 'fire' out of sugar. Any ideas about how to go about this new adventure is appreciated.
TIA

5 replies
thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:38am
post #2 of 6

I have no idea, but I have been wanting to learn this as well... I'm just too chicken! Good luck!!

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:58am
post #3 of 6

Ideas anybody????? I'm thinking I will need to stick the "flames" into the cake (logs) for standing support. But I don't even know where to get started. Please help!!!!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:30am
post #4 of 6

I don't do blown sugar but I do the sugar bottles it is like making hard candy and you can add color
maybe make a mold out of aluminum foil have 2 colors so you can mix it when you pour it into the aluminum foil you can use a knife to mix the color after you pour it so it looks more dimensional. Just an idea hope it helps

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

I am with you, I want to know where to start. Do I need to buy a book, and if so, which one? Is there a website we should go to so we can learn.

I think this is a fantastic field that some of us would love to try, if someone would point us in the right direction.

I did go to the Library, but couldn't find anything on pulling, blowing, or doing anything else to sugar.

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 6

Great to see new people tryin got learn blown and pulled sugar!!
Here is some clue to the campfire.
Pour some melted sugar into an oiled metal ring or a silicone cake or cupcake pan that is the same size as the diameter of the fire you want to make. This will be your base.
Now blow some yellow sugar using a sugar pump into bubbles and cut them with scissors off centre. Continue blowing the "flame" twisting and pulling the tips to create a lick of fire. Do several tongues of fire and then airbrush the tips red fading into the orange the yellow. Melt them together onto the base you poured creating your bonfire.
Finish the bottom edge with gumpaste logs or chocolate logs.

To see a picture check out the gallery on the site.

I hope that helps!

www.kincaellan.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%