Low Cake Esteem Has Come Back To Bite Me In The ....

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 3:03am by littlecake

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 15

butt!

When I first started out I had trouble with pricing, and charging what my cakes were worth.
Well it has come back to haunt me.
I have a repeat customer who wants a cake similiar to what she ordered before, but with gumpaste hydrangeas and fondant ruffles (too match bridesmaids dresses) and all for 75$!
Its all my fault I gave her such a low price on the first cake, I was just happy to have someone want one of my cakes back then.
But now she wants another cake and she is expecting the same price!
I've already priced it out the cake will cost almost that much to make!
I am dreading the email I have to send her tonight about how much this cake will cost, and if I remember correctly I gave her low price before because she told me that was her budget, and I fell for it hook-line and sinker.
Any advice on how to word this email?

14 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 15

Just tell her that due to the rising cost of ingredients this is what the cake that she wants will cost. If she doesn't like it then it's on to the next one!

Good luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 15

I suppose her groceries and gas haven't gone up in this time, have they? icon_confused.gif

when people are starting out in the singing/acting/entertainment business, they can be hired for local shows, county fairs and small town theater for next to nothing. Once they become famous, it's pretty much expected that you can't hire them for the same $47 you hired them for when they were first starting out and a virtual unknown.

You are now one of those people. Not only has the cost of your supplies gone up (and she's an idiot that you dont' want to deal with if she doenst' understand that), but you are also more skilled and more in demand and therefore merit a higher price for your talent.

CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you -
I have no problem charging her more then the other cake she ordered,I'm just tired of having to explain why I charge what I do.
When I go to Starbucks and get my coffee I don't ask them to explain why they charge 5$ for something "I can make myself".

And to top it off, she was a customer that talked me into a lower price (that happened alot )
so I'm just dreading the sob story about how she can't pay what I'm charging.
But oh well, I'm tired, pregnant , I have to pee all the time and I have heartburn so if I don't do this cake then I'm fine with that.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 15

I sell gourmet cookies, brownies and bread. I told myself early on that I don't HAVE to do this. This is my hobby and it is fun for me. If people want to pay the high prices(and they do), then hey great, they can have some of my wonderful baked goods. But it is going to cost them.

They are not my hubby or kids. I do not HAVE to feed them. icon_twisted.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 15

You know what you must do.. and you don't have to explain yourself. Give her the price and if she wants it she will pay.. if not.. prop those pregnant feet up and relax. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 15

so tell her what you charge...oh boo hoo i can't afford it....do you really want to go through this every time she wants a cake?

so if she goes...good riddance to bad wabbits....i'm so tired of these people.

plus she talked you down to begin with...heck with that!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

You know what you must do.. and you don't have to explain yourself. Give her the price and if she wants it she will pay.. if not.. prop those pregnant feet up and relax. icon_smile.gif

i totally agree! you don't have to explain yourself. icon_smile.gif

but if you did, can it go like this...

"See, I don't live in a fantasy cake land where the rivers are flowing with milk, eggs grow on trees and flour and sugar rain down from the cake gods. as much as i want to, i don't. icon_smile.gif"

^^ sarcastic but i love that picture in my head. don't you? LOL

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 15

I feel your pain. I always feel like I need to explain my prices too, but then when I'm in the midst of a project I think, heck if they don't want me to pay what I think it's worth, then go somewhere else. I would just quote the price as a take-it-or-leave it deal, and give no explanation whatsoever. If she's on that low of a budget, she needs to go to Walmart.

CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 15

So I gave her the price last night and I have'nt heard back from her.
The cake is for this Friday so she needs to get back to me no later then tonight, but I'm not going to email her again, its not my job to chase after customers.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 15

I completely understand! Pricing is always the worst part for me (especially with return customers)! I used to charge barely enough to cover ingredients! I just started going up on my prices-and every time I have to quote a cake I cringe.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:03am
post #12 of 15

I hear you on that. I struggled with pricing too, but now I don't care. My pricing is my pricing and I don't need to justify why it is $2.50 a serving. I give a quote and walk away. If they want it, they call me back. If not, now sweat off my back. And like someone else said, 'Do you go into Starbucks, ask what a large latte is and then give them a sob story about how you can't afford it." Hell no! Do they sit there and apologize for their $5.00 coffee when you can a) make it yourself for pennies, or b) go to the corner gas station and get a 20 oz. cup for 99 cents. Nope, don't apologize anymore and don't try to explain your prices before they even come back at bicker about your pricing.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

I hear you on that. I struggled with pricing too, but now I don't care. My pricing is my pricing and I don't need to justify why it is $2.50 a serving. I give a quote and walk away. If they want it, they call me back. If not, now sweat off my back. And like someone else said, 'Do you go into Starbucks, ask what a large latte is and then give them a sob story about how you can't afford it." Hell no! Do they sit there and apologize for their $5.00 coffee when you can a) make it yourself for pennies, or b) go to the corner gas station and get a 20 oz. cup for 99 cents. Nope, don't apologize anymore and don't try to explain your prices before they even come back at bicker about your pricing.

ROFL!! That was great!!! icon_biggrin.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

[quote="indydebi"]
when people are starting out in the singing/acting/entertainment business, they can be hired for local shows, county fairs and small town theater for next to nothing. Once they become famous, it's pretty much expected that you can't hire them for the same $47 you hired them for when they were first starting out and a virtual unknown.

You are now one of those people. Not only has the cost of your supplies gone up (and she's an idiot that you dont' want to deal with if she doenst' understand that), but you are also more skilled and more in demand and therefore merit a higher price for your talent.[/quote

You are a frickin' genius! I NEVER in a million years would have thought of it quite like that!

I have struggled with pricing for about two years now (Hi, I'm Michelle and way undercharge for cakes too!) and have gotten to the point that I'm so busy I can't see straight so I have been really trying to step it up to "local market value" and getting what my time is really worth. Surprisingly a lot of people are not scared off like I thought they'd be. Stick to your guns and if they don't buy from you there will be plenty more customers!

Trixyinaz nailed it in her comments!!!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:03am
post #15 of 15

[quote="msauer"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You are now one of those people. Not only has the cost of your supplies gone up (and she's an idiot that you dont' want to deal with if she doenst' understand that), but you are also more skilled and more in demand and therefore merit a higher price for your talent.[/quote

You are a frickin' genius! I NEVER in a million years would have thought of it quite like that!

I have struggled with pricing for about two years now (Hi, I'm Michelle and way undercharge for cakes too!) and have gotten to the point that I'm so busy I can't see straight so I have been really trying to step it up to "local market value" and getting what my time is really worth. Surprisingly a lot of people are not scared off like I thought they'd be. Stick to your guns and if they don't buy from you there will be plenty more customers!

Trixyinaz nailed it in her comments!!!!!

i loved this too indy....

i'm just now getting where i don't care about pricing...the well to do don't give it a second thought, they are used to paying more for quality....plus to me, they seem easier to please....i want to be known as a luxury item (not there yet)...but i'm light years from "she's REALLY good, and REALLY cheap"...yeah, that's what i heard they USED to say....SHAME ON ME.....but when you are first starting you under rate yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%