I Hope They Enjoy Their Grocery Store Cake

Decorating By jessc169 Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm by tjsmommy

jessc169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessc169 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

Well, it finally happened to me!!

I had a women contact me about a wedding cake for her daughter. The cake she wanted was fairly simple with a bunch of flowers and one of those willow tree figures for a topper. I gave her the price of $3 per serving plus whatever it would cost for the flowers and topper. (she e-mailed and didn't specify the type of flower she wanted). She also asked if i would deliver and set up the cake (over an hour away) and what that would cost. I told her $1/mile there and back. I have never had anyone complain about that price, actually people have told me it's not enough. So anyway, i hit send and assumed i'd hear back soon.

so, she just e-mails me back and says that with the delivery costs it would be just about the same as the going rate where she is getting married so she is just going to get it at the local grocery store. Now get this.....the local grocery store quoted her $5 a serving! If she would rather have the cardboard they call cake for $5 a serving, she can have it!

This was definitely the first time i've had someone choose the grocery store over me.....(that obviously anyway!)

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

Oh well, you can't win them all. Sour grapes for her! icon_sad.gif She didn't need to give you any further info beyond. "Thanks for your quote, maybe another time". Sometimes clients like to add a little dig at the end, which is poor manners IMHO if it's said bitterly.

She could have probably spared herself the delivery charge and had someone pick it up from you...but why would they want to drive 2 hours (there and back) with that responsibility?

If your quote was about the same as their's, then it was her call. She had options but chose not to take them.

(Perhaps she'll call you back after she's sampled their cakes! icon_twisted.gif )

Her loss...not yours. Move on to the next customer.There's plenty out there. icon_smile.gif

clubcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clubcakes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 8

Chin up!! You quoted her a fair price! It IS her loss!
I gave a quote to a lady once for a fondant cake for 200 people and she never called me back. Four months later, she emails me a picture of a new cake w/o fondant to see what the price would be. UGH!! Hang in there!!! Store cake doesn't compare to homemade!! They'll see icon_biggrin.gif

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 8

I had a simular thing happen to me about 2 months ago. It wasn't a wedding cake. It was a Hello Kitty birthday cake for a 6 year old. I gave them my quote and they decided that it was too high and they were going to get their cake at Wal-mart. They ended up saving $3.00 and they got a frozen cake with half as much as I put on my homemade. I don't quite understand some people's thoughts. Hang in there. Not everyone is like that. icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 8

People are so silly sometimes. Your cake would have tasted much better, and I'm sure it would have been far prettier than her grocery store cake. She must have thought she was getting ripped off by the $1/mile charge.

When I worked for a computer co., a compant wanted several hundred computer monitors. They dawdled around, and the price per monitor went up by $4/unit. The guy decided to order from a competitor who had a higher price, but free shipping-and even with the shipping my price was hundreds of dollars less than the competitor. He was so fixated on that free shipping that he couldn't get past it. That is why he was out of business 2 years later. icon_twisted.gif

Chin up, and don't think about it again.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 8

I think the reason she told you was so that you would then lower your price to get the sale. Good for you for sticking to your price!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

I dont believe a grocery store would be $5 a slice. I agree with others wait till she taste the cake. Some people I tell ya. Well don't worry there are more orders out there and other people that appreciate good cake!

tjsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjsmommy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8

Ugh...a $1 per mile is an awesome price!I agree with the others-her loss! thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%