Cake Fell Over

Decorating By donyell Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 12:10am by michellenj

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 6

Please help..I had a 3d deigo cake and it fell over. it was 3 layers and RCT for neck and a foam head. I put card board bewteen 2nd and 3rd cake. bottom two tiers had straws for support and then 3 wooden dowels all the way through. I had the cake ready for decoration around 12 by 3 time for pick up he was leaning to one side. After customer left 30 mins later cake had feel over. I make alot of 3d cakes.The only cake I have this problem with is my 3d gym shoes the bottm layer always leans. Then i made this one. Don't no why it fell so any suggestions is welcomed! I was pleased with the out come of the cake.

Thanks,
Donyell

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 6

I'm so sorry this happened. Your cakes are beautiful!

When you say you had 3 dowels all the way through, were they sharpened and hammered INTO the base cakeboard? If so, how thick was your cakeboard? If your dowels were not hammered through the base cakeboard, all they'll do is make your cake fall over more neatly. icon_eek.gif

I do believe that the summer heat is wreaking havoc on lots of cakes this year. Unless you wer working inside a walk-in frig, your cake may have been vulnerable to heat - causing everything to get softer than usual.

If your bottom layer is leaning, my guess is that the dowels supporting the next tier are cut too short and/or not all cut the same length.

I hope you get it figured out!

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 6

I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. After the customer picks up the cake is the worst. Your cakes are so clever and detailed. Very sad that this happened.

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

I'm so sorry this happened. But I have to say, you do beautiful work!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6

SO sorry to hear this!! You are a cake making machine girl! Wow that bridal shower cake is amazing!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 6

I'm sorr ythis happened to you! I hope you can figure this out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%