Gallons Of Lustre Dust????

Business By AZCakeGirl Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:17am by sugarlove

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 28

Does anyone know where I can get lustre dust in a bucket by the gallon (wholesale)? I took a class with a very well known instructor this weekend & she said there is a place that sells it, however she couldn't reveal the name of the company & encouraged us to go home & search for it online because it is definitely out there. Anybody have any idea who sells it by the gallon? I have a shop so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get a wholesale account. Any help is greatly appreciated!

27 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 28

No clue...thats alot of luster dust!!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 28

Did she say why she couldn't reveal the company name?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 28

I've seen it in like 4oz quantities, but even then it's like $90!
http://shop.confectionerswares.com/category.sc?categoryId=83

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 28

It is public knowlege on the internet, but SHE CAN'T "REVEAL" the name ? LOL ! LOL!!! I'm sorry..... I'll settle down now.....

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 28

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Dusting_Powders/Luster_Dust/luster_dust.htm

I found it here in 4oz and 8oz containers. There are 28 grams in an ounce so a 4 ounce container is the equivalent of 56 little 2 gram containers of luster dust and which means the 8 oz is about 112 little containers. The only downside is that the only colors sold in large quantities is gold and silver.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 28

Well, I hope that you learned a lot in your class but I had to laugh when I saw "gallons of luster dust"! icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 28

Well, she couldn't reveal the name of it because the venue where the class was being held also had a company selling dusts and it wouldn't be right for her to say "don't buy it form the people who brought me here, because you can get it a lot cheaper if you buy in bulk from "so & so".

So, she just told us that there was a company out there & it wouldn't be hard to find if we put a little effort into it.

AZCakeGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smab109

No clue...thats alot of !!!

Yep, I know! But, I get a lot of wedding cakes every weekend & go through the 4 oz. jars pretty quickly so a gallon bucket would be a blessing for me!

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

But, I get a lot of wedding cakes every weekend & go through the 4 oz. jars pretty quickly so a gallon bucket would be a blessing for me!

Just a thought - you could get a air brush and at the very end air brush luster airbrush liquid over the whole cake. With the price of that much lustre dust it might end up being cheaper in the long run and it is definitely easier (especially since you can use the air brush on tons of items). I lustre sprayed my princess cake this weekend in about 2 minutes and the whole thing sparkled. Plus the 9 oz bottle was only $8-9 at ABC and I only used about 2 tsp of it for the whole cake.

Good luck.
Kathleen

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #11 of 28

I just searched for an hour with no luck icon_sad.gif
I'll keep trying... (but I'm sending DH after you if I buy more cake stuff in my quest icon_lol.gif )

AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I just searched for an hour with no luck icon_sad.gif
I'll keep trying... (but I'm sending DH after you if I buy more cake stuff in my quest icon_lol.gif )

LOL - that's funny, I've bought a few things already along the search as well! Thanks for trying though. I wasn't really expecting anybody else to spend time looking, was just wondering if anybody might already know about it. Once again, thank you very much for your attempt! icon_smile.gif

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #13 of 28

wow, by the gallon??? Did you try CK Products?

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeryBakery

wow, by the gallon??? Did you try CK Products?

my thoughts exactly icon_biggrin.gif

contact them directly

http://www.ckproducts.com/search.as

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #15 of 28

lol...I do a lot of weddings , but a gallon!...OMG..lol

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #16 of 28

Wow a gallon of luster dust!
That reminds me of the time my DH sent my DD and her cousin to Lowes to get some chalk to refill that little thing that the string goes in to make chalk lines. They came back with a gallon jug (their reasoning was it was cheaper in the long run)
That was about 10 years ago, and its a family joke that it's in the will to be divided between the children icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #17 of 28

Well, I'll go out on limb here.

European Cake Gallery was at Cake Camp, but they didn't "bring any instructors" there. They were just vendors, invited to sell their wares. Other vendors carried other dusts, but not in the variety and quantities that ECG has. They are soooo easy to work with, that I'd bet they'd be happy to supply anyone with "gallons" of any dust, and at a very reasonable price, too. Give Edward Frys a call (817) 297-2240 and see what he can do for you--he's a great guy. Their 8 ounce container of super pearl is $65 (the best price I've ever seen for bulk luster dust).

I don't know if ECG actually makes the dusts, but I do know that they combine them for an incredible color array & also package them because Edward's mother & I had a conversation back in April about how the small plastic containers would be doubling in price due to being tied to petroleum prices.

To the best of my knowledge, any instructor was welcome to talk about any resource they care to share. Satin Ice wasn't present, but I took Susan Carberry's class and she recommended it (and Norm Davis likes Choco-Pan and Bronwen Weber prefers Fond-X).

No matter who's supplying it, a gallon of luster dust will cost a small fortune--upwards of $800. I'd think that any supplier would consider it a special order and that it wouldn't be widely advertised. CK products and Linnea's (linneasinc.com) would be the other places I'd suggest for a price check.

HTH
Rae

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:25am
post #18 of 28

i was thinking of ecg too....they used to sell wholeale to places like sam's cakes.....one time i was talking to him on he phone, and he said they had quit wholesaling....you can bet they get the stuff by the gallon....

make ya wonder...do they have to go to hong kong to get it or something???...i can't imagine ever needing a gallon unless you were reselling it.

AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #19 of 28

Thanks, I'm just going by what we were told as to why she couldn't say anything. I was just a student attending a class, so that's all I know. I have a wholesale account to CK already & they do not have buckets. I will try the company that you mentioned though. Thanks for all your suggestions. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:41am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

Does anyone know where I can get in a bucket by the gallon (wholesale)? I took a class with a very well known instructor this weekend & she said there is a place that sells it, however she couldn't reveal the name of the company & encouraged us to go home & search for it online because it is definitely out there. Anybody have any idea who sells it by the gallon? I have a shop so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get a wholesale account. Any help is greatly appreciated!

a GALLON of luster dust? Gads, you would have to win the lottery to afford that! Its gotta cost in the thousands!

I have seen the large bottles...like 40-60 dollars? I think they are like 4 ozs? Would have to double check. Why would you need so much?

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #21 of 28

LOL! I know what you mean because that was exactly what I thought when I took a class with hopefully the same well known decorator last year! I think the brand you might be referring to is called Chef Rubber and a 'gallon' of Luster dust costs about $30. The website is https://www.shopchefrubber.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

loriemoms Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

LOL! I know what you mean because that was exactly what I thought when I took a class with hopefully the same well known decorator last year! I think the brand you might be referring to is called Chef Rubber and a 'gallon' of costs about $30. The website is https://www.shopchefrubber.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

That is price is for 1.8 ounces...can you image a gallon? Lets see, there are what, 128 ounces in a gallon...(although that is fluid...what is in terms of dust? Can you buy something like dust in gallons as opposed to weight?) That is still about 2000.00!!

CakeWhizz Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:52am
post #23 of 28

LOL! Thanks Loriemoms. It was a tongue in cheek response! I blame the fact that we've resisted the metric system over here. Till I took the class, in the US, I had only ever seen luster dust in tiny containers so the 1.8 ounce container looked like a 'gallon' to me.

loriemoms Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

LOL! Thanks Loriemoms. It was a tongue in cheek response! I blame the fact that we've resisted the metric system over here. Till I took the class, in the US, I had only ever seen in tiny containers so the 1.8 ounce container looked like a 'gallon' to me.

Do you think this instructor thought G meant gallons? hahahahahahaha!!!!

I still am curious why you would need so much! those little containers last me months!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #25 of 28

I'd be the one who paid big bucks for a gallon, then knock it all over the floor a month later...ACK! I'm pretty clumsy! Good luck finding what you need! A gallon would last me a lifetime, and there would still be some left to will to my kids!

AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #26 of 28

LOL.....yeah, I know everyone thinks I'm crazy! But I like to buy certain things in bulk, especially if I might be able to get a good deal on it for doing so. Lustre dust is one thing I don't ever want to run out of & I live in a little mountain town so things are not readily available here. If I run out....I'm screwed! I'd rather purchase a lot of it & be safe than sorry. I know, still sounds crazy to get so much, but with the amount of wedding cakes my bakery does, I know I would eventually use it all someday!

CakeWhizz Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #27 of 28

No the instructor did not literarily mean 'gallons'! But I think because the culinary school had a lot of the big luster containers around, it seemed (to my uninitiated eyes) like there was a lot of the stuff around. You've got to remember that you are spoilt for choice in a lot of things in America. I still live on a little island called England...................

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #28 of 28

The petal and luster dust sold by CK, Nick Lodge, CalJava, etc...is manufactured by a lady (whose name I forgot) in Arizona. So, if you want a gallon of the stuff it is possible if you can find out the name of the manufacturer and purchase it directly...and meet their minimum order requirements.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%