Need Some Help.

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 8:41am by mouse13

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:47am
post #1 of 10

Okay so I have a party coming up for my 1yr old and my hubbys uncle. Well for my daughter I am making her a princess cake and a doll cake for herself. My question is what do I make for the uncle? He wants a chocolate angel food cake with chocolate frosting. But what in the world could I do with that? All I know about him is he drinks sits in his wheel chair and thats about it...lol I know he likes football(49ers) and the baseball I think. Oh my mind went on vacation at the best time didn't it? Does anyone have any advise? Thanks ahead of time.

9 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:03am
post #2 of 10

Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting sounds like a recipe for a football to me. You could toss a 49ers logo on it, too.

mouse13 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:04am
post #3 of 10

How would you do it tho? can you cook a angel food cake in a reg. pan?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 10

I've actually never tried to bake angel food cake, so I'm not sure about baking it in a regular pan. You could try going for a chocolate sponge cake, though. They're pretty airy, too, and those I have made in regular pans.

If you're dead set on angel food, though, you could just decorate the top of it with little chocolate footballs or something like that, too.[/url]

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 10

I know on the "Barefoot Contessa" one time, Ina made a chocolate angel food cake. For some stupid reason (and I may be wrong which wouldn't be the first time icon_wink.gif ) I think she made it in a regular pan. I think all the recipes are on Food Network.com.
HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 10

I've certainly made angel food (reg and choc) in a loaf pan. And just put a choc glaze on it and some purchased sports decors.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 10

I don't believe you can bake angel food cake in anything but an angel food pan. Something about it needing something to cling to to rise in the pan. Same reason why you don't grease & flour your angel food pan before baking. I would go for a spongy choc cake like varika mentioned. icon_smile.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 10

The trick to decorating an angel food cake is this -- put a sugar cookie across the 'hole' in the top of the cake and then ice as usual. You can then decorate the cake like any other.

If you want -- you can had a 'surprise filling' in the hole -- like toasted pecans, buttercream with crushed cookies, m&m's or whatever his favorite might be.

I have not ever made a chocolate angel food cake, but I have seen recipes for it. And I guess you would just use a regular chocolate buttercream on top. It sounds delicious!

Good luck and post a pic!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 10

I've read about angel food cakes being baked in regular round pans a few times. I saw it in a cake description. I have never tried it myself, but apparently it worked, or the person who wrote the description would have complained.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mouse13 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:41am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all. I will do the lil' footballs on top like one of you said... I have to make the angel food cake (nana said) Thank you all agian.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%