Need Help... How Do I Pack 3D Fondant Figures For Transport?

Decorating By hrd2pls Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 6:27am by hrd2pls

hrd2pls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrd2pls Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 5

Hello ... really desperate here.

I made some 3D wedding fondant characters (aine2 style) for a friend's wedding out of state. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to pack them for hand carry to go onboard with me on the plane. These characters are the bridal party that would sit on the edge of the cake layers ... so they are all in sitting position. I am terrified that they will be broken en route. Do I wrap them in bubble wrap first or would the fondant stick? parchment paper? wax paper? Do I need to somehow make something that they can all sit on? I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. TIA!

4 replies
paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:54am
post #2 of 5

I would make a mold of the cake where they will be sitting, out of styrofoam, and then wrap them up in parchment and then bubble wrap. May even a clean dish towel, loosly. The towel might help with humidity, if that is an issue in your area.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 5

Hi - I just traveled with some GP flowers to Cake Camp and most of them broke. I asked one of my instructors, Janet Foster, how she travels so far with GP items. She told me I should have wrapped them in kleenex, placed soft foam around the items (to prevent bouncing), and used a cardboard box for packing. One of the issues she says I may have encountered, is I put mine in a plastic container, and she said it couldn't 'breath' and moisture can accumulate in airtight containers. HTH

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 5

If there aren't many and you are traveling on the plane, put them in a box (yes, definitely not airtight!) and bring it on as one of your carry ons. I did this for the 2005 ICES convention and the one this year in Orlando. I only had a bride and groom this time around, but I just put them in a small box with a bit of the large bubble bubble wrap and even left the box open. Went through the x-ray no problems and I put the box under the seat in front of me so I could keep my eyes on it.

To send it home I actually packed them in back in the box wrapped in tissue (quite a bite--not a few pieces) and the bubble wrap and then put that box in the big box with my cakes and shipped them back home--they made it back just fine.

You can line the bottom of the box with 1" thick foam or the large bubble wrap, wrap each figure in the tissue and set them in the box and then add smaller pieces of foam around each figure to act as a cushion. Could you fit them all in a shoe box? That would be a good size and would easily fit under the seat on the plane.

hrd2pls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrd2pls Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:27am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your replies. Unfortunately, they all won't fit in a shoebox as I have 8 figures. I do plan to bring them as carry on. I will try your suggestions and cross my fingers.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%