Royal Idiot

Decorating By NikkiDoc Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm by katwomen1up

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

Hello all. I have never used royal icing...ever. I was going to make the chocolate royal icing recipe on this site and wondered...can you color it black? Does is it take color with good results? What about regular royal? Does it take color well? Thanks and if there is any info or tips anyone can throw out I would be so humbly grateful! TIA.

5 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 6

Royal icing takes color the same as BC so it should be fine.

NikkiDoc Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:40am
post #3 of 6

Thanks!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:50am
post #4 of 6

Hi NikkiDoc,

Just as an FYI,

You want to make sure when you make RI that it does not come in contact with grease otherwise it will break down. Make sure you clean everything thoroughly with hot water before making/using it. Also it dries out quickly so make sure you cover it as soon as you take out what you need. My instructor told us to cover it with saran wrap (just the over the lid part) before sealing the container shut. Also when trying to make black it is usually best to make it in advance as it darkens with time. Maybe you can make it a day or two before.

My eyes are kind of blood shot from lack of sleep right now and my brain is shutting off but if you need any more info or help please let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

HTH

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

NikkiDoc Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you xstitcher!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

Also make sure you do not use any plastic as this will break it down. When piping if you are not using one of your bags stick the tip under a damp cloth. This will keep it from drying out. Cover bowls with tin foil or a damp towel when using. For storing tin foil is best.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%