How Much Do I Charge

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 2:56am by indydebi

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, the question everyone seems to ask, what would you charge. I've only done these for friends and never charged, now I'm getting calls from friends of friends. Bottom is a two tier 11x15.
LL

6 replies
dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 7

CUTE cake! No wonder you're getting requests.

How many servings in each one? How many batches of cake/icing does each take?

What recipe do you use for cake and for icing? What are your ingredient costs?

How much time does it take you to do the cake? Do you deliver?

Forgot to add:
What do bakeries around you charge per serving?

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry I can't help with coming up with the a total but I wanted to say I love the cake it is so cute!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 7

it's a 11x15 sheet cake so that is 60 servings by the wilton chart, not counting the top cake. I use doctored box cake mix it takes 5 to make it and it is covered in buttercream and fondant.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 7

I typically charge $65 for my double 11x15. So, when you factor in the time and efforts of the second cake, I wouldn't charge less than $90. That cake probably feeds 75-80 people.

HTH,
Rhonda

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 7

I'd say $250-300 possibly more, depending on your location. If you doctor five cake mixes, *and* use fondant, I'd think it would be hard to even cover cost of supplies for $90. Add to that your labor and overhead, and you'll be well above that.

I'm not a business-caker, though, so I'm not the best one to provide estimates. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 7

I'm in agreement with the over $200 range.

two 11x15's serve 70-ish (1x2x4" serving ... cake would be cut in approx 10 columns by 7 rows) ... times my $3/serving = $210 JUST for the double layer sheet cake. Add the body-cake AND the fondant .... you're way underpriced at anything under $100.

If it does serve 80 people (which is a conservative estimate, I think), that's barely more than $1/serving. For a shaped, multi-layer fondant covered cake that serves close to 100???

Even if you consider it a sheet cake (and I don't since it's NOT a "single layer no filling" cake) and only charge $1.50/serving, the double layer sheet alone would be $105.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%