Would Like To Hear From You Guys

Decorating By dare2bloved Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 3:52am by DebBTX

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 16

Going to buy a mixer!!!!!What would be the best one to buy? What am I looking for? What brand, size do you guys have and why do you like it? Just need some ideas and feed back.....

15 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 16

I've got two mixers - the first one is a 4-quart Kitchenaid, and the other one is a 7-quart Cuisinart. I do smaller batches in my Kitchenaid, but the Cuisinart is the best for large batches of cake batter or icing. I can make enough icing in the Cuisinart to ice a small wedding cake!

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 16

I like my Kitchen Aid 5 quart ,325 watt Artisan,it's 5 yrs old and works like a dream. Before the KA I always used Sunbeam Mix Masters.I ended up with the KA only because the store did not have any more Sunbeam mixers in stock when I went to replace my old one and I needed a mixer that day.My sister and some other family members swear by the Wolfgang Puck stand mixer.If you have time be sure and check out the new stand mixer that Sears has .So many mixers so little time. icon_smile.gif Good Luck.Bevy

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 16

Most of us have KA's in our kitchens. There are several who have the Cuisinart, and a few who have the Vikings.

Your choice is going to depend more upon what you plan to do - larger batches or frequent baking, or smaller batches or less frequent baking.

If you are just a home baker who does stuff for the family, then a 5 qt KA with an extra bowl, beater, and wisk are all you need. If you plan on upgrading the size of the items you make, or plan to sell cakes or cookies, to to the 6 qt right away.

Then, take a look at the watts on each model you want to look at. The more watts, the more powerful the motor. The more powerful the motor, the heavier the batter or dough which can be handled.

Let us know which you choose -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 16

Until I opened my shop adn finally got a 20qt Anvil, I did everything out of a 5qt kitchenaid and loved that thing to pieces.

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 16

thanks guys , I looked at a KA but was worried about the narrow bottom. I will look at the others and let you guys know what I decide.

KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 16

Are you worried about tipping? Never had that happen. Worst thing was unattended cinnamon roll dough " walked" the mixer clear across the counter but I caught it before it went over the edge. THAT was totally my fault tho! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 16

Oh, if you are talking about narrow bottoms, you must be looking at a tilt-head model. Although I prefer the tilt head, I am also very happy with the capacity of my 5 qt drop-bowl, which has the large base and feet.

Take a good look at both models before deciding.

Also, Amazon has refurbished models on sale from time to time. I paid $175 including tax, free shipping, for mine. Their refurbs are given the same warranty that new models have.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Until I opened my shop adn finally got a 20qt Anvil, I did everything out of a 5qt kitchenaid and loved that thing to pieces.

Same here (except my 20qt is a Hobart). Extra bowl and beater and you're set to go.

But since getting the 20qt, my poor neglected KA is just gathering dust! icon_sad.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #10 of 16

I have 2 KA's and love them both but I really drool over commercial grade mixers (imagine Homer Simpson here) I REALLY want a 20qt. mixer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #11 of 16

mkolmar, if you ever get down to my area, I'll let you play with mine! icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 16

I had 4 bowls, 2 paddles, and 4 whips! I like my drop down bowl better than the tilt head... but its all in what you're used to.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #13 of 16

Where do you purchase the 20 qt. mixer and other bakery equipment?

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #14 of 16

Where do you purchase the 20 qt. mixer and other bakery equipment?

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:47am
post #15 of 16

I have a 5 qt. KA for smaller things, and a 7 qt. Viking for the larger amounts. I love them both.
My Viking is more powerful than the KA. I do have to scrape the bottom of the bowls of each one to make sure nothing is being left behind.
They have both been great to use.
I would enjoy having a 20 qt some day, but right now I would not be able to bake all that batter at one time. I guess I would have to buy a matching Deluxe Oven. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:52am
post #16 of 16

One of these years I would like to take the Indydebi kitchen tour. Maybe she will show off how all the wonderful equipment works. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%