What Have I Done? Have I Made A Big Mistake?

Decorating By lynseyg2002 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm by marknelliesmum

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 9

I think I have made a big mistake! I sent off a form the other day to set up my own cake dec business as I thought I would give it a go. I have done 2 years courses in cake dec and sugar craft but, I have only ever been taught the sugar flowers and modelling part, and through countless nagging, never the cake dec part. I have taught myself over the years how to cover a cake etc., but I'm worried now because my cakes are nowhere near a professional standard. I have signed up for a 3rd year at college in the hope that this time I will be taught the basics. I feel a bit of a hypocrite having 2 certificates that say i am qualified when i'm clearly not, so they stay in the draw. Should I persue this or quit while i'm ahead?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 9

Get me a plane ticket, so I can come over to Wales and slap you silly! Your work is incredible and I'm envious that I am not even close to the talent you have!

Take a deep breath, hold your head high and Git-R-Dun, girl! You're awesome!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 9

Your work is beautiful - do NOT underestimate your talent and go for it thumbs_up.gif

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

your cakes are beautiful. I dont think you have to be professionally trained to be qualified. Your pictures should be proof enough. If anyone questions your talent they are crazy!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 9

indydebi said

Quote:
Quote:

Get me a plane ticket, so I can come over to Wales and slap you silly!

Oh boy please don't send her a ticket - she may feel compelled to slap all us UK residents while she is here coz no doubt we'll need it at some point and she may as well save the plane fare. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lynseyg2002 - you've just got the 'oh my God what have i done ?' feeling coz you are stepping into the unknown. Your flowers are stunning and you are clearly talented. If you are really seriously worried ( not just a bit anxious) and you have no need to be anyway!) then for the first week or two only take orders you are confident you can nail - when you hear the till pinging with excitement and you see how delighted your customers are you will know you can be like all the big guns on here. Promise us you will re-read your op this time next year and i'll bet you will laugh your head off at this needless worrying. In fact cancel that last request coz you'll probably be way to busy for that.

Good luck - you'll be fab!!!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 9

you need to believe in yourself some more-your pics speak a thousand words!! you don't need a certificate to show you're qualified!! (it's not a requirement to open a buisness where you are is it?) good luck!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 9

Oh My Goodness. Please listen to the other posters. Your talent is remarkable! Take a Deep breath and relax. You honestly have nothing to worry about. Yes, to build more confidence, take some smaller orders and soon word of mouth will get out about how very talented you are and then take on some larger orders.
You really have some remarkable photos there. Please keep up the impecable work and ENJOY!! You are doing great!
Kathy

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the votes of confidence, i hope this daunting feeling does go away. I know i can do the flowers but i'm more worried about the cakes, they always seam bumpy, or uneven and i keep thinking it's because i haven't been taught. Sorry for sounding like a miserable git!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

You don't sound like a miserable git - your nerves will ensure you are very picky with the standard of your product. I would be more concerned if you were starting out full of it and thought both you as a decotrator and your cakes were flawless. You see the most amazing cakes on here but I don't think anyone feels themselves to be beyond learning - there's always something new to try whether it's a recipe or skill and WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS!!! other people look and see a beautiful cake- we look and see the time, blood, sweat and sometimes tears that go into it and think why the hell is it not perfect? even when it is.
By the way your cakes are lovely, i only made reference to your flowers coz the green eyed monster in me noticed them first icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif flowers are on my to do list but I just haven't got round to attempting them coz of other commitments ( and coz i know they will not be as easy as i am hoping icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%