White Butter...what Is It?!

Decorating By littlesusie Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm by littlesusie

littlesusie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesusie Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #1 of 10

Hey y'all, a local baker says that she uses white butter (and doesn't use shortening) because it will not melt in hot weather. Why would white butter not respond in the same way as any other butter when exposed to the heat? What is this white butter and is it any different than regular butter...I'm confused?!

9 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #2 of 10

I have never used it, but I think it is a quick butter made from a treated cream (I will be darned if I can think of the name...) that is more stable than regular butter. Has more fat and less liquid I think.

I bet it could be found by googling though! icon_smile.gif

Gotta holler at you too! I lived in Mt. Juliet for 9 years!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 10

white butter is unsalted butter. It has more fat and less water than salted butter(hence more expansive than the latter) and because it has less water it holds up better.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 10

Cites, please, Monkess?

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 10

I wonder if she is talking about Plugra. It is an imported butter, very white with a low moisture content. It is very expensive. Try igourmet.com.
We used it to make puff pastry.

Jo

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 10

Plugra is not imported... it is made right here in the good of US of A... but it is a (supposed) European STYLE butter and is more expensive because it's 82% butterfat (vs the normal 80% of regular butter) which is responsible for t lower moisture content.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10

I looked it up (gotta love Google!) and you can order it from several places and even make your own if you get the proper manufacturing cream to do it with.

I have never used it and now totally want to for pastry (as jolmk mentioned).

Neat.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 10

I have never heard of any butter that won't melt in hot weather. Hello.. even if it was 100% butterfat... its still butterfat! If it didn't melt in the 98* room, then it won't melt in your 96* mouth (or your intestines. think about it.) and won't have a lot of what we love about butter. I'll bet its her fancy word for crisco.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 10

I have read about bakers using white butter in cream cheese icing. I do not remember where the article was from, but it said that you could usually buy it at gourmet shops or health food stores.

littlesusie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesusie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 10

Y'all, thanks so much for the responses! I think I just need to go back and just ask her flat out what she means...I'll let you know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%