Covering Dummies With Fondant Question...

Decorating By baycheeks1 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm by mom2spunkynbug

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 5

Ok so I am covering some rather tall square cake dummies with fondant and I know how to cover dummies with fondant. But the question is how can I cover them with out hte fondant tearing and have to go back and start rolling it out again? I know I saw a link on here some weeks ago about using a finger nail file to file the sides down a bit so they won't tear the sides.

But if I decide to measure the sides and then cut the fondant according to size then how can I fix it to cover the seams on the corners and at the top of the dummies?

I guess so many questions...but I rather do it right the first time and not have to start and let it tear and then have to do it over again...I don't like that at all! Thanks!

4 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #2 of 5

Anyone?

baycheeks1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 5

Still no one?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 5

Before you cover the dummies you sand the dummy with sand paper so the corners are not as sharp..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

I haven't covered square cake dummies - yet (I will be in a few days though!). And what I would recommend is kind of rolling the edges on the table so they're not so sharp. You also have to be careful not too roll the fondant too thin or it will easily tear. Also if you roll it too thick, it will be too heavy and the weight that's hanging down will want to pull on the fondant, causing it to rip/tear. Although I did have one big huge rip in a dummy that I recently made, I just put gum glue over it & "pushed" the fondant back together where it was supposed to be and it came out pretty nicely. Use some shortening if you need to also to smooth it out.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%